SDHC card please

psss

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think SD is badly thought through and the whole licencing thing a mess - the usual situation for a product designed by a committee without an eye to the future.

Since the SD card is written to by the Intel chip in the M8, I would have thought that Leica could have bought an SDHC card driver from someone who has done the work but the nightmare would be if a hardware change is required. Critical part of the system though. All you need is a reputation for creating corrupted cards of unrepeatable shots and you are in real trouble. Personally, I'd would have preferred Leica to use CF cards which is what other grown-up cameras should use. I can already buy 16Gb CF cards for my D3 which can take two of them - 16 times the capacity of the M8. They're also much more robust.

The M8 is not over-endowed with processing power, just look at how long it takes to zoom in to an image. Problem is, if you increase clock rates to increase processing speed, you increase power consumption and heat generation (bad for sensor noise) and reduce battery life. It's all another reason to use 8 bit compression - less data to write to the card and less power taken in doing so.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Andy, no, and I agree that it's a sign of poor design.

Mark, the main problem I have with CF cards is the number of pins inside the body that can potentially get bent rendering the camera useless without repair. No I've never had it happen, but it's been a concern at the back of my mind with the Canon's that I've used. Personally I prefer the pinless design of the SD cards for that reason.

Andy, no, and I agree that it's a sign of poor design.

Mark, the main problem I have with CF cards is the number of pins inside the body that can potentially get bent rendering the camera useless without repair. No I've never had it happen, but it's been a concern at the back of my mind with the Canon's that I've used. Personally I prefer the pinless design of the SD cards for that reason.

I'm always very careful putting in CF cards and never apply undue pressure because of this. I'd suspect in many cases the bent pin problem has been caused by carrying unprotected cards in a pocket and debris has blocked one of the pin holes.

Bob.

...If someone with CAD experience can come up with a replacement bottom place with grip with better access to cards and batteries then there is a ready and willing market... Incidentally, it is this removable bottom plate which means I will never buy a Luigi case...

Already done! (by Leica CS/Solms on special order) :) ... Still the problem with Luigi's case stay with me :( ...

Michael

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Michael, that's a worse solution than the one in place. I'd hate to have the battery compartment and SD slot open to the elements, even if I had a Luigi case covering it all.

Point taken on the added inaccessibility of the Luigi case but it gives it the protection to the battering that I usually give my cameera gear just carrying it around. (If I ever sell anything hereand I say "LNIB" it means I never used it :) )

I change cards the same way that I changed film on a film M, with the camera round my neck on a strap. Flip the camera upside down and the bottom can be removed, card replaced, and bottom refitted without any problem. Using the strap leaves both hands free as one of them isn't being used to hold the camera.

My biggest complaint with the baseplate is the catch is on the opposite side as the film M and I am constantly putting the bottom cover on the wrong way:) That doubles the time it takes me to put the baseplate on sometimes.

Robert

Michael, that's a worse solution than the one in place. I'd hate to have the battery compartment and SD slot open to the elements, even if I had a Luigi case covering it all.

You're fully right! This idea was born by the need of external powersupply for the camera in combi with PC (if M8 stays on USB port battery will be drained within short time ~ 2hours). Planning that modified baseplate only for longer sessions at astro-shootings. Not really for usage at normal foto-shooting ;) I'm still fine with 2GB cards ... and the procedure of changing.

Michael

"Ye cannae fight the laws of physics"

It requires bits of tin (hardware) to be replaced. It goes far deeper than firmware. SD cards are FAT 16, whereas SDHC cards are FAT 32. No amount of wishful thinking will change the fact.

Regards,

Bill

How is it possible, then, that the latest firmware upgrade for the Canon 5D includes CFHC capability? The first thing I thought when I got notice of the Canon upgrade is that Leica will probably come along now with the same announcement for the SDHC cards, since it has been demonstrated that it can be done.

My biggest complaint with the baseplate is the catch is on the opposite side as the film M and I am constantly putting the bottom cover on the wrong way:) That doubles the time it takes me to put the baseplate on sometimes.

Robert

I have the same problem. Why the heck did they do that?

"Ye cannae fight the laws of physics"

It requires bits of tin (hardware) to be replaced. It goes far deeper than firmware. SD cards are FAT 16, whereas SDHC cards are FAT 32. No amount of wishful thinking will change the fact.

Regards,

Bill

FAT 16 / 32 are file system specifications and have nothing to do with hardware. SD cards can be formatted with either FAT16 or FAT32. SDHC cards can also be formatted with either. However, if formatted with FAT16, it has a 2GB partition size limit.

This is the wikipedia entry for SD cards: Secure Digital card - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

According to the entry, re: SDHC:

"It uses the same form factor as SD, but the SD 2.0 standard in SDHC uses a different memory addressing method (sector addressing vs byte addressing), thus theoretically reaching a maximum capacity of up to 2048 GB."

The memory addressing method is a software issue, not hardware. If this article is correct and that's the entire difference between SD and SDHC, then the M8 most certainly can be updated to read/write to SDHC cards.