Tilt Shift lenses on the M8 ?

jackal

I'm waiting to find the new Nikon lens at the right price; I use their 85 PC Nikkor which is great but a bit long even on a D3 but a fabulous, if bulky, macro lens. The great advantage of the new one is that it is much shorter focal length and has auto-aperture on a D3.

Even so, using T/S lenses is a bit of a trial, live view and a tripod makes it easier. The "S" part can be replicated in PP but the "T" is there to create huge depth of field, much more than you can get even by stopping all the way down - dramatic perspective with rapidly receding backgrounds and everything in focus.

As for use on an M8, forget it.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

No offense, Luigi, but if ts lenses are obsolete why did Nikon recently come out with a new one for digital?

There must be a demand from somewhere, otherwise there would be no production.

True... I forgot (and Mark's post remembered me) that in serious macro environment the use of TS to achieve DOF can be really the trick...

Better I pay attention to sentence something about SLR issues...I'm too much a RF addict ...:(

Guy Mancuso used one on an M8, apparently it was a royal pain but for his purposes the results were worth it. If I remember correctly he used the Zuiko 24mm. Do a search and you may come up with something.

I think TS lenses are the biggest thing i miss with a rangefinder.

No offense, Luigi, but if ts lenses are obsolete why did Nikon recently come out with a new one for digital?

There must be a demand from somewhere, otherwise there would be no production.

Well you can't do tilt on Photoshop, only the equivalent of shift.

taking the focus plane out of parrallel can only be done on the camera,

Gerry

What is the equivalent of shift in photoshop?

If you select the crop tool and define a crop round the subject you will get a crop menu at the top of the screen, there is a box labelled 'perspective' which can be ticked, if this is ticked you can then drag the corner markers in until the sides of the crop box are parrallel to the uprights of the subject, you would then have a trapezoid shaped crop box rather than a rectangular one. When you perform the crop it will then straighten everything out.

All this is in CS2, before that I had 5.5, where its hidden under 'distort', 'perspective' and wasn't so easy to use, it was easy to get lateral or vertical compression or expansion but with CS2 its easy.

Here is an example, first is before adjustment, second after, M6ttl, 35 Summicron asph. Provia 100

Gerry

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Well you can't do tilt on Photoshop, only the equivalent of shift.

taking the focus plane out of parrallel can only be done on the camera,

Gerry

I'm not sure this is correct. What about the lens correction feature in PS? I've used that a couple of times to shift the horizontal plane. I use the transform feature for converging verticals.

LouisB

Guest guy_mancuso

I sold my Oly 24mm shift which was setup for the R mount. Great lens but a little tough to work with the M8. I just got today the new NIKON 24 T/S for my D300. WOW can't wait to put it in service.

Guest guy_mancuso
IMHO, PhotoShop will never give you the same look as a true TS lens... I also miss them the most since switching from SLRs to rangefinders.

Cheers,

Riccis

Completely agree.

IMHO, PhotoShop will never give you the same look as a true TS lens... I also miss them the most since switching from SLRs to rangefinders.

Cheers,

Riccis

Well, I spent most of my professional life using Sinars etc. and it seems OK to me, when I have time I will do some tests using the 35 PC Nikkor with and without rising front, and try doing the correction in PhotoShop and see if there is any difference. OT equipment though!

Gerry

I sold my Oly 24mm shift which was setup for the R mount. Great lens but a little tough to work with the M8. I just got today the new NIKON 24 T/S for my D300. WOW can't wait to put it in service.

Guy - I know this would strictly be against the Leica-only rules - but could you post a couple examples with this lens? I'm interested in what it can do - both in terms of things like increasing dof - but also in whether it can also be used in 'experimental' ways like decreasing the plane of focus: for instance across a person's body in a portrait shot?

Thanks if you can give us a look - but I'm sure you'll be busy trying-out the new lens for your own experiments! I've been trying hard to resist the D300 and one of these shift lenses...

mani

Guest guy_mancuso

Mani I should have something good next week for a job I am doing and will get some stuff together to show. I may just post over at my place because don't want to stir the crowd . I will send you a link when I have it together. BTW very nicely built

Boy you post a lot, Jackal.

Joined less than a year ago and you've started 51 threads! More than one a week!

Respect!

But asking questions about tilt shift on an M8 - maybe Osterloh's Leica M, Advanced Photo School would answer a lot of your queries directly.

Regards,

M

IF Leica made a tilt-shift lens for the M8, it would cost $5,000 +++ and require a visoflex IV for another $5,000. You could buy a D3 (or 1DsIII) and a 24 TS or, better still, a Linhof and a BetterLight scanback for less and have tools made for the job.

Visoflex III and a Novaflex with a lens adaptor? Too complicated for my taste. Probably only work with macro.

I use a Linhof (bed dropped) or Toyo (bag bellows) with a 75 Rodenstock or 90 Schnider with a Betterlight. A few Lowel Caselights balanced for 5000k for interiors or set the iso high and wait for the wind to stop (good luck) for exteriors.

I love the M8 for what it does. Tilting is just not one of those things.

Tom