Zoom only natural for nature, perhaps?

lincoln_m

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I've always thought all you need is an M with a 35mm lens, although I do use a 50mm for the times I need a longer lens.

Recently I have bought a DMC-LX1 and found a) I do not like looking at a dim postage stamp of a screen when I'm used to a viewfinder, and B) What do you do with a zoom lens? For the main part I'm used to using my lega as the zoom and getting the composition I need.

With a zoom lens if you do not move then the perspective changes and this changes the composition and can change the quality of the result. (I have not tried Leica R zoom lenses but may need to to keep the quality I expect.)

I'm thinking of a safari trip either this year or next. But a 35mm & 50mm lens on an MP is not what is normal for a Safari where you are not driving and you can't move with your legs to get the right shot ( without the animals thinking of you as breakfast) . So for a safari I assume we need a zoom and long lenses?

I quickly tried a Nikon D60 with 70-300mm =(135-450mm in 35mm equiv). This lens is £350 so I was perhaps not too surprised to see magenta fringing in branches against an overcast sky.

It seems a compromise with a zoom and the camera will control you unless you really know the zoom and it's detailed querks. It has probably taken me 4-6 years to really get to know a 35mm lens, but a long zoom would have to be a careful choice as change the focal length will change the quality and the perspective.

Perhaps a R7 with 180 f2.8 might be a good start but do I really need a zoom ( 80-200mm) for safari? I can see I'd only use this kit for the safari trip and not any other time so I would be a relative novice.

I think I read somewhere that one should start with a fixed focus before moving on to zoom lenses. If I do go with a Nikon digital then I may need the >£1000 zoom lens to keep close to the quality I'm used to with Leica M asph lenses?

Do they have mains power at the safari lodges? Normally I'm not used to needing much battery power. They will be limiting batteries to 2 spare in hand luggage soon.

Basically I'm all at sea with a zoom lens but can see they might be helpful on safari or for spy work, otherwise a few fixed lenses are probably better, quality and easier to understand (get a good feel for).

Comments?

Regards, Lincoln

Lincoln

Zooming in and out whilst standing at the same spot is the one thing that will NOT change the perspective. It willsimply have the effect of cropping and then re-enlarging the image as you increase the focal length.

Changing the focal length facilitates your moving closer to or away from the subject, and it is this movement which changes the perspective (that is, if you like, the relationship between the foreground and the background). You can accomplish this change of focal length either by means of a zoom, or by swapping fixed focal length lenses.

Some people (probably including myself) think that a zoom lens can be a temptation to use it as "lazy legs", stay in the same spot, and thereby fail to explore the perspective. As a beginner, I was glad I bought some prime lenses of fixed focal length first before getting a zoom or two (for travel convenience really).

The thing about being at a safari park is that you are usually in no position to explore the perspective - you stay where you are in order to avoid being eaten or to stay out of sight in a hide. You then often need somethig long simply because of the distance away.

Do bear in mind that with a very long lens, some sort of camera support becomes increasingly important - otherwise you might need an impractically high shutter speed. Zooms might be worse in this respect because of the smaller maximum paerture than primes. But they are very convenient for filling the frame with the subject when you you can't walk! So it's a trade-off between conflicting requirements! Certainly take some high speed film! (Film cameras don't have quite the battery problems of digitals of you are out in the bush without mains power!)

Lincoln,

if You do not feel comfortable with the idea of using SLRs and long or zoom telephoto lenses, why don´t You lean back, relax, take a pair of binoculars and just watch.

If You need photographs as a reminder back home, do the scenery with Your M.

Game does not have to be photographed, one can simply watch it, You might even see more as if You would photograph.

This suggestion is not meant as fun!

Regards

Oliver

John,

I sort of see what you mean about NOT changing perspective because you are assuming the subject is also fixed in one place, say a cheetah on a hill, and the camera is in a jeep.

I was mixing up situations (sorry) where either the subject or the camera can or do move.

If the camera and subject are close then a wider angle setting is used if the camera and subject are far apart then a narrower angle setting is used. Usually with an M I move closer to keep the same subject size ( and perspective, same lens) in the final image. Of course with wild animals this is not necessarily possible or safe.

Oliver,

Yes I do see your point and I have the Leica 10x25 compact (Ultravid?) binoculars which I would take on Safari. They are very good for £350, in fact it may be better to get the 10x40s next ones up that the Bird watchers rave about and let my partner have the 10x25. Then use the MP with 35/50mm as usual. Perhaps a stretch to one of the 90mm lenses might work when we get lucky and close enough? There is a chance I would use a 90mm more often than a 180mm or 360mm or a 70-300mm x1.5 Digital zoom. The D60 plus 70-300mm costs about the same as 90f2 ASPH or another pair of 10x25 for my partner and a 90f2.8.

Nick Brandt :: Photography

Nick uses Medium format 6x7 camera (Pentax) with a 200mm or shorter lens ( he says this is ~100mm in 35mm) with B&W film. New TMAX400 would be a contender with a 90mm on an M? But Nick has his own jeep and 6 week safaris.

Some good points to think about here.

Thanks, Lincoln

Lincoln,

a 8-10x25 is perfect for game! So if, buy a second one for Your partner and a 2,8/90. Use 400 ASA film. You do not need a 2,0/90 asph! Take the small Leica tripod with You.

I guess You will go to Africa? If You do not go to Krueger Park and not in a 50seater bus, but in a smaller game park and a small bus (e.g. VW), and go all day long in walking speed, first gear, just running by itself, You will see lots of giraffes, buffaloes, anthelopes that close by, that You will be pleased with the 50 or 90mm. You do not want to have rhinos, elephants or hippos close enough for a 90mm portrait in such a small bus!

In SouthAfrica I did about 50% of my game photographs with a Nikon and 105mm. The rest with 20-50mm and 180 to 600

Regards

Oliver