Another view on the M8

stunsworth

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Jaap - these discussions are so circular. One person says the camera is noisy at high ISOs, another disputes it (often with one of these tiny images), and then when this in turn is questioned, it comes down to 'the print' - which has 'more 3-dimensionality' than a DSLR print.

In essence, even though the review obviously fell rather short of erm 'perfect objectivity' shall we say, it nevertheless made some interesting points (many of which have been discussed here in the past).

It's all the search for the Holy Grail (which was probably used by the owner of the house where the Last Supper was held for another five years and then stepped on by a drunk Roman Legionary). One knight will go off on a quest and say he's found the thing, and then he has lost it, while Sir Bedevere off on the other side of Britain will claim that the French have it and have for fifty years since the Battle of Aman-Pur.

What matters, and what people on these forums somehow forget in their Quest, is whether YOU, the artist, likes what he has taken. Who gives a pile of Pooh-Bears if there are little grainy bits in the shot when it is blown up to 20 feet by 20 feet, as long as YOU, the taker of said picture, likes it.

In other words, if you like the picture of your kid, or the lamp, or the flower, then you can tell me, or Pascal, or McFly to get stuffed.

Does the M8 take great pix? OF COURSE it does! Is it right for everything? No! Would you take a four thousand dollar Klein Q-Pro on a singletrack trail? Of course not. Would you take a Porsche 911 out for a drive with the Ice Road Truckers in Alaska? NO!

Most of these arguments are, purely, crap, kept alive by the egos of those who would be better off taking pix with a Kodak Instamatic 110. :D

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We're in danger of drifting off topic here.

Next someone will ask whether the Hadley schmadley Mk 97 or the Billington Whatever is better for carrying your Zeiss 1700/4.:rolleyes:

And then it'll have become the umpteen-thousandth bag thread. Please, Dear God, no!

Pete.

No point getting excited friends. This is a site of Leica users - and friends.

The writer, who deserves a tip of the hat for coming forward and visiting us, is not one of us. By his own statement he is a user of automated SLR-s and P&S cameras. He tried the M8 for a while and was unable to produce images the like some of us can take (at times:) ) or the likes that he could produce with equipment he is familiar with.

There is no shame in that; there are people who use instant coffee, tea-bags or automatic transmission. It is a matter of choice, taste, ability and what have you.

The amusing (?) thing is that he managed to write such a long article about it. Plus ca change . . . .

Guest stnami
The writer, who deserves a tip of the hat for coming forward and visiting us, is not one of us
...... Now that is dumb, a sad sad way of thinking...................but friggin funny, boofhead material:eek:

Oh Imants, would you have taken the time to blink, you may have remembered that according to this Forum's rules:

"Mainly the forum is a platform to establish contacts with other people who share our Leica passion."

If that defines "US" , then you would have to agree that the writer of the discussed article is not one of us.

Guest stnami

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you want to use ut as a "Boys Club" go ahead and do so, find yourself some diciples and spread your gospel, I hear they started using Leicas in the bordellos, a night of tricks buys a M8 and a lens and you can become one of them

as a comedian you would understand this

eveyone on this thread must be really insecure/unhappy about their M8 ?

why do you people get involved ? Go out and shoot.. learn to be a better photographer. Its all about the pictures and nothing about the equipment. Look at the amount of views this thread has had, It really is pathetic.... much more pathetic than any internet review however erroneous.

why do you people get involved ? Go out and shoot.. learn to be a better photographer. Its all about the pictures and nothing about the equipment. Look at the amount of views this thread has had, It really is pathetic.... much more pathetic than any internet review however erroneous.

Jeez, I have to agree with you. I've been away from this place for a while but returned to see the same ol' same ol'. That this thread has rolled along for so long with so many mostly defensive remarks speaks volumes about this forum's active members. Any little criticism of the M8 posted on the Internet gets the same old dogs barking here.

Guys, as jackel suggested, go work on your photography or get a photographic project. Isn't that what you bought the damn camera(s) for?

.. much more pathetic than any internet review however erroneous.

Guys, as jackel suggested, go work on your photography or get a photographic project. Isn't that what you bought the damn camera(s) for?

Good question. Maybe we can return it and wonder why you both wasted time to give us the first hour of psychology 101 instead of going out shooting ?

Because in each thread like this one, we do not only see the same "old dogs barking".

We also see people who have nothing to say about the issue discussed, who pretend to do not care, that we should shoot pictures instead.

And yet they still feel the need to participate, posing as wiser than the rest of us and telling us how we should lead our lives.

Maybe you can explain:

- why are you here and not out taking pictures ?

- why do you feel the need to participate in such useless threads ?

- why do you use words like "pathetic", "old dogs barking" while pretending you are the cools guys with a life and a genuine interest in photography ? You also need some reinsurance ?

Nah, forget it. Whatever you say from now will probably be as ridiculous as your previous posts. I'll add you to my ignore list instead.

Anyone else notice how now that we've mostly gotten the M8 "figured out" in terms of bugs, workarounds, and usability, the number of posts which devolve into members attacking one another has increased proportionately?

I guess like many communities, without a common enemy to fight, this community has turned in on itself.

We still have a long way to go before we acheive the state of vitriolic perfection that exists on the dpreview forums, though.

John

Anyone else notice how now that we've mostly gotten the M8 "figured out" in terms of bugs, workarounds, and usability, the number of posts which devolve into members attacking one another has increased proportionately?

I guess like many communities, without a common enemy to fight, this community has turned in on itself.

We still have a long way to go before we acheive the state of vitriolic perfection that exists on the dpreview forums, though.

John

DPReview forums are only "perfect" 'cause they ban people, and fairly quickly. I was banned for calling the owner of the RangeFinder Forum on some anti-Leica and DMR garbage (he was anti-DMR and kept selling them on EBay before he was pro-DMR). How many other people are no longer welcome on DPR, I dunno. ;-)

DPReview forums are only "perfect" 'cause they ban people, and fairly quickly.

By "state of vitriolic perfection" I meant that there's a higher concentration of jerky people there. I haven't been on there steadily since I was a Sigma SD-10 user (it had the most active forum for that camera) and it seemed like only 1 out of every 10 posts had any constructive purpose other than to attack other members. I think we still have a long way to go before we reach that point on this forum.

John

By "state of vitriolic perfection" I meant that there's a higher concentration of jerky people there. I haven't been on there steadily since I was a Sigma SD-10 user (it had the most active forum for that camera) and it seemed like only 1 out of every 10 posts had any constructive purpose other than to attack other members. I think we still have a long way to go before we reach that point on this forum.

John

I like the Sigmas... Looking forward to the DP1