Hlep! message; "SD card locked!" error message?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have run across this issue numerous times, which started to show up since the latest firmware update.

I do not believe it is memory card, card reader, battery or dirty contacts related. In most cases it has occurred upon inserting a fresh, previously reformatted, memory card into the camera and, or changing the battery. It should be noted that the issue does not migrate when the memory card and battery are moved to another M8.

As mentioned, removing and then reinserting the card and, or battery usually rectifies the situation. Sometimes I have needed to go another step and use a different memory card and, or battery to clear up the problem. A longer term solution seems to be resetting the camera itself, through the LCD menu.

However, the pattern of symptoms I have repeatedly experience and tested for, across over a dozen memory cards, seven batteries and two M8s, seems to point to a firmware related issue rather than bad memory cards, batteries or dirty contacts.

Geoff

MySpace.com - g e o f f - 101 - Männlich - PHILADELPHIA, PENNSYLVANIA - www.myspace.com/geoffotos

I am experiencing the exact same problem....but can add that its only with the M8.2. This week I have been shooting with one M8 and a new M8.2 both using the current software. I rotate cards and follow a strict process of always starting each shoot with a fresh battery and reformated (in the camera ). I am using Transcend 2g/4g SD cards,Lexar 2gb cards and newer Lexar 4gb SDHC and maybe a Sandisk 4gb SDHC. I have had 3 lock ups and each time set the card aside.

Unfortunately it happens after I have 8-10 images on the card....they show up on playback initially but aren t read by the card reader....you can see evidence of corruption in partial labels etc.

Is this happening with the original M8 ? My experience is only with the M8.2 and I am shooting them side by side with the same cards and the current firmware.

Roger

I am experiencing the exact same problem....but can add that its only with the M8.2. This week I have been shooting with one M8 and a new M8.2 both using the current software. I rotate cards and follow a strict process of always starting each shoot with a fresh battery and reformated (in the camera ). I am using Transcend 2g/4g SD cards,Lexar 2gb cards and newer Lexar 4gb SDHC and maybe a Sandisk 4gb SDHC. I have had 3 lock ups and each time set the card aside.

Unfortunately it happens after I have 8-10 images on the card....they show up on playback initially but aren t read by the card reader....you can see evidence of corruption in partial labels etc.

Is this happening with the original M8 ? My experience is only with the M8.2 and I am shooting them side by side with the same cards and the current firmware.

Roger

Roger,

Yes, this is happening with my original M8, using firmware 2.002. It also happened with earlier firmwares. The camera keeps shooting and at some point no image is recorded and you can only see the file number when playing back files in-camera. This happened with Lexxar 2GB cards and SanDisk 1GB cards with serial numbers (i.e. they do not seem to be grey-market cards).

What you say about seeing 8-10 images on the card is interesting. I noticed that a few of the corrupted images DO show up as thumbnails in in-camera playback, while most do not seem to be recorded at all and only the filename label comes up. I have managed to recover the images which do show thumbnails using the PhotoRescue program, and some of the images have bright red horizontal streaks on them. Here is an example directly from the camera, renamed and resized for the web: horizontal-streaks.jpg (69kb)

I am currently testing my M8 with the remaining Lexxar card I have to see if I lose any files with this one. One theory I have is that there is an error in the camera's firmware which is possibly related to the Mac OS 10.5 Leopard operating system. I don't remember experiencing these problem before OS 10.5.

Roger, what operating system are you using in the computer you download files from the camera to? Is anyone having this problem using another system? It is a serious problem—images are lost—and I'd like to get to the bottom of it.

Cheers,

Simon

Same here after 32 pictures on a Lexar 133x 4MB SHDC. Till 32 pics, play did showed the photos on screen; after that just pics numbers on black screen.,then empty card. ImageRescue 3 saved them all DNG as TIFF and JPEG as JPEG.

Am back on 2MB Lexar 133x SD.

• 2 years later...
To get rid of SD card locked error message, the best would be to format the card and use picture recovery software to recover and restore the photos lost after formatting.

Very old thread.

Not sure what you are talking about. If the camera says the card is locked it won't record any pictures on it and it can't be formatted in the camera (the camera reads the card as LOCKED).

In any event welcome to the Leica camera forums.

• 4 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

+1

Had the same problem (card locked/card full) with my 8.2. Now, this camera has just returned from Solms because of this problem and they couldn´t find any fault...

As this is a new camera/card combo, and I experienced these problems only initially (it´s now working fine), I suspect the camera has now "adjusted" to it´s new owner/card. :D

• 6 years later...

Just a simplistic comment

i have owned my Leica Q P for only 2 weeks and was disappointed to find that some sd cards were incorrectly displayed as locked. After several attempts to resolve, I found the following simple action appeared to fix the problem... it seems it might be a physical problem ... when I just set the unlocked ‘switch’ the display still said it was locked but if I secured the switch with a small piece of clear tape, the false locked message no longer appears and the sd card works fine

• 2 years later...

I also have this problem  with my ”new” M8. I had to format the sd-card in my camera to solve the problem.

It happened when i removed the card and put it in a sd-reader in my computer. When i put it back in the camera, it was locked, and then it said that the card was full.

• 1 month later...

I don’t have dedicated cards for the camera’s. I’m too chaotic for that. But I always format when I stick the card in the camera.

Following this simple procedure I’ve never experienced any problems with my cards since the invention of digital photography.

• 2 months later...