Hlep! message; "SD card locked!" error message?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I used a card reader to remove some images, and somehow when I returned the SD card to the M8. (It is a San Disk Extreme III, a recommended SD type, 2gig from the Leica site), when I turn on the camera I get the message,"the SD card is locked!". The counter shows "O" pictures to take. When I press the shutter, in the viewfinder it says "full"

How can I unlock the SD card?

thanking anyone, in advance for any help

Rafael

Put the card back into the reader, and, when it appears on the Desktop single click on it and the do "Apple-key - I"

This will "Get Info" for the card. You may be able to see if it's got locked or similar by thye OS (although this would be very unusual if it had)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have just mounted a card of mine and there is no option to lock the card in software.

Have you tried formatting the card via the Mac and trying again (this D-Lux 3 card is formated as MS-DOS FAT 16, while my DMR ones are MS-DOS FAT 32, by the looks of it)

You should be able to "Read and Write"

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Firstly, I'd suggest that you try to remove ALL the images off the card via the card reader - if this is problematic then try using image rescue software.

Next, try to format the card in the camera - I wouldn't recommend doing so via the computer as I have had cards rendered dead as a result. I use Macs and have been told that formatting cards via a mac can be problematic.

I've had substantial card issues with the M8 which turned out to be nothing to do with the M8 at all and a lot to do with card readers which were incompatible with the cards (look on Sandisk's website and you will find details of known compatible readers!). I found that if there was less than 1Gb on a 2Gb card then I could download it no problem, but if there was more than 1Gb on a 2Gb card I had real problems. Now I always physically lock the SD card before downloading via a reader to try to ensure that no change is made to the card, but have to remenber to unlock it before reusing it in the camera.

Firstly, I'd suggest that you try to remove ALL the images off the card via the card reader - if this is problematic then try using image rescue software.

Next, try to format the card in the camera - I wouldn't recommend doing so via the computer as I have had cards rendered dead as a result. I use Macs and have been told that formatting cards via a mac can be problematic.

I've had substantial card issues with the M8 which turned out to be nothing to do with the M8 at all and a lot to do with card readers which were incompatible with the cards (look on Sandisk's website and you will find details of known compatible readers!). I found that if there was less than 1Gb on a 2Gb card then I could download it no problem, but if there was more than 1Gb on a 2Gb card I had real problems. Now I always physically lock the SD card before downloading via a reader to try to ensure that no change is made to the card, but have to remenber to unlock it before reusing it in the camera.

I did get the image off with the reader.

I did try to format the card in the camera

It did a long blinking .... longer than my limited experience tells me is long ..... than it locked up.

My reader is a San Disk reader

I will lock before downloading in the future. the images are Ok maybe 15 DNG so I don't think that's so much