• 2 weeks later...
Guest umshausumzu

My is done in Japan too. Nr 929607.

Claus

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=213022&stc=1&d=1279982211

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

That urushi M2 is handsome indeed -- but somehow I think that a chrome M2 is more right. More Zeitgeist, maybe.

The ethics of refinishing is debated. Some purists say, never. Others think that if it is not a particularly rare specimen, and a user, why not? Some people refinish everything that comes their way, because to them, looks is everything. I regard them as vandals of a cultural heritage.

I am not a collector (think, or rather, think not, stamps). I am interested in the technical development, the engineering changes -- and how the ornery old beasts were used. But trivial detail variation, like the number of rings on the self-timer lever, or a funny serial number, leaves me cold.

The old man from the Age of the M2

• Like 2

M2-R, Original Owners

Serial number 12500** , maybe 2000 made, so they re not too common. The M2-R was factory built with the new M4 rapid load fixed take-up spool.

I presented this very camera, new, with a black 50 Summicron, to my father in 1970. He finally broke it out in 1971 to take some pictures (4 or 5 rolls) at our wedding. Imogen Cunningham took a sweet picture of him holding this camera. After that, it went back into a drawer, where it stayed for many years. At some point he replaced the black lens with this nice dual range 50. In 2000 he gifted the camera back to me, telling me it was unused since the wedding! So, I believe those were the only rolls thru this camera to date. The slow speeds are balky, and one of these days I'll have it gone over and put some film through it. There's a very few faint marks on it, which I like, as they were made by my father. Thanks for viewing this!

Larry

Edited by likalar
  • Like 9

Hello from Thailand,

My first thread here.. I do love my M2!! ;)

• Like 3

Lars Berquist told: "...because to them, looks is everything. I regard them as vandals of a cultural heritage."

Well, I bought the Shintaro's M2 Urushi because it is beautiful, but I never thought to send to Shintaro a M2 Chrome to make it turn into a M2 Black Paint.

If you can still choose, prefer to choose the good things even if they are not originally painted made by the producer.

Collecting is something else than passionate user.

My Urushi M2 is now happily coupled with a late Super-Angulon 21 f/3.4, fabr.-nr. 2917xxx and a 21 metal black Leitz finder.

No to collect things but beautiful things to use.

Kind regards.

Lars Berquist told: "...because to them, looks is everything. I regard them as vandals of a cultural heritage."Kind regards.

As I wrote, many think that refinishing a reasonably common old user camera is all right. I do, so the remark was not directed at you.

What I was thinking of was those collectors who try to restore their pieces to mint outside, but never use them, and who don't give a damn about function. They don't love old Leicas, they love being high profile collectors of anything, as long as it is expensive.

And then there are those sadists who never even remove the shrink wrap there once was around the cartons. They are not even interested in looking at their prizes. Instead, they just sit there drooling -- over the supposed value increase, I presume. Meanwhile, the camera dies a slow and horrible death inside, from lack of use. -- I could add where those two species of collector are most prevalent, but I won't. I don't want to start a war.

By the way, refinishing is regarded as ok among veteran car people -- but an original finish in reasonable shape is deemed even better. Museums, on the other hand, do never restore, they just conserve.

The old man

• Like 1

My first Leica, this Canadian M2 was purchased with the Canadian Summicron 35, for $375 at an estate sale. Collectable, no. Unique and used quite a bit, yes.

This M2 was recovered using cameraleather.com walnut natural grain kid leather (goat skin).

It smells like a baseball glove, and has a really nice deep brown color. My only qualm? Nicking that body screw next to the self timer with stripper while removing the old covering. Leica Proper? perhaps not, but the option off watching MORE of the vulcanite chip off in chunks was completely unappealing to me.

I use an M3 for the 50 and 90 cause the viewfinder's better for those focal lengths, but LOVE is not a strong enough word for how I feel about my M2 combined with this lens.

Jay

• Like 1

..... I don't want to start a war.

The old man

Hi, don't worry about it, we are gentlemen, only warm speech but never over.

Ok, your thought are right, nothing to say.

I'm only a Leitz user with passion for beauty things, to use only without idolatrous worship or veneration.

Kind regards.

M2!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

i just received my Leica M2 a few days ago. On the lens that came with the camera(a 50/f2 summicron) is a spot. Can anyone tell me what's with that spot and if it can be fixed or not?

• Like 1