Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 3/6/2021 at 4:12 PM, ktmrider2 said:

Does the quest ever really end?  As I said earlier I cannot decide which film M is my favorite and it varies between the M2 and the M4 so I guess I will have to own both.  The viewfinder in the M2 is the best Leica ever produced if you can live with 35/50/90 while I like the "modern" film loading and rewind of the M4.  Presently, I have a chrome button rewind M2 from 1958 and a black chrome 50th anniversary M4 from 1975.  Every once in awhile I look at a black paint M4 but I would want to put the wear marks on it myself and finding a "like new body" is difficult and the price would be out of this world.

Presently hiking around Anchorage.  The Iditarod sled dog race starts tomorrow.  And we have almost 12 hours of daylight.  I have Ektar 100 in the M4 and HP5 in the M2 with either a 35, 50 or 90 mounted.  The digital body is feeling lonely and I should probably sell it.

I got a rapid load spool kit for my M2 and it’s now definitely my favorite film Leica. 

• Like 2

On 3/14/2021 at 10:06 AM, IanH said:

Hi, 

I sold my M6 TTL 0.85 and 35mm Summicron ASPH, it wasn't getting as much use as it had in the past. I reinvested the proceeds in to a range of ASPC street cameras, most were short term acquaintances, apart from the Ricoh GR which has stuck.I even purchased the Leica Type 262 M-D, expecting it to be my dream camera only for it to collect dust, mainly due me being overly precious due to the $ it cost.  

Last year, after many hours spent on this forum, I picked up a battered M2 from Gumtree and paired it with a Canadian V2 35mm 'Cron. 

I love the look of the chrome and in the longer term I hope to give it a new outfit with the Hermes coloured vulcanite to replace the current wrapping. It's nice to have a camera I'm not overly precious about that looks so good! 

Thanks to everyone on the forum that provides their ideas and comments, it's so very interesting to read the various points of view and suggestions.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hi Ian,

it's always good and necessary to take care of your equipment, but as you indicate, the best feeling with a camera is when you use it and use it again and again. So have great times with your M2!

Lex

• Like 1

Just out of interest my M2 is the same one featured in this article:

https://www.35mmc.com/29/04/2015/leica-m2-review/

The leatherette has been replaced since I purchased it. I love this camera SO much!!

Edited by Aldrahn
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Current state of my M2. Loving the compact size of the 1938 35mm Elmar. 

• Like 10

Preparing to walk the dogs. My M2 by my iPhone X.

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I did this because I can.

Today I bought *so technically I've joined the I love my M2 Club *in addition to I love my M4 and I love my M6 Clubs

Leica M2 

50mm Summicron DR

35mm Summicron V3 Made in Canada

12585 lens hood

12504 lens hood

UV filters

I pick up tomorrow. Pics to come.

• Like 2

vor 27 Minuten schrieb EddieJ:

Today I bought *so technically I've joined the I love my M2 Club *in addition to I love my M4 and I love my M6 Clubs

Leica M2 

50mm Summicron DR

12585 lens hood

12504 lens hood

UV filters

So much Love .... 😎

• Like 1

21 hours ago, EddieJ said:

Leica M2 

50mm Summicron DR

12585 lens hood

12504 lens hood

UV filters

OMG.

It's beautiful to hold ...

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Ok, I know this is just strange, but I picked up a 2nd or 3rd hand cheap TTartisans 50mm f0.95 recently. Having tried it on my M246 I was struck by how impossible it was to get focus right without an EVF. 

I put it on Ebay and when photographing it discovered manufacturing defects on the inner elements which caused all sorts of questions from prospective buyers. So I took it off Ebay and wondered what to do with it - sell it for what I can get? Or have fun with it?

So... I tried it on my M2. While the lens worked perfectly on the M246, on the M2 the frame lines were set half on 35 and half on 50, and the lens lock only barely worked. But the thing is - it seemed a breeze to focus on the M2 compared to the M246. So, I thought I'd run a roll of film through it and see what I got - I don't know yet, but am hoping to find the time to dev the film in the next couple of days and will update then...

For now I'll share the silliness of it mounted on an M2.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Aldrahn said:

Ok, I know this is just strange, but I picked up a 2nd or 3rd hand cheap TTartisans 50mm f0.95 recently. Having tried it on my M246 I was struck by how impossible it was to get focus right without an EVF. 

I put it on Ebay and when photographing it discovered manufacturing defects on the inner elements which caused all sorts of questions from prospective buyers. So I took it off Ebay and wondered what to do with it - sell it for what I can get? Or have fun with it?

So... I tried it on my M2. While the lens worked perfectly on the M246, on the M2 the frame lines were set half on 35 and half on 50, and the lens lock only barely worked. But the thing is - it seemed a breeze to focus on the M2 compared to the M246. So, I thought I'd run a roll of film through it and see what I got - I don't know yet, but am hoping to find the time to dev the film in the next couple of days and will update then...

For now I'll share the silliness of it mounted on an M2.

I suppose you won’t get a sense of how easy it is to focus until you get the film processed.  Getting the rangefinder images aligned is not the same as getting an in focus image on the film.  I think getting accurate focus with the hair thin depth of the field of these novelty lenses is pushing the limits of the design tolerances of a coupled rangefinder.  Composition must be a challenge too - I guess at least half of the viewfinder is blocked out.

Edited by andrew01

Well, I'll say one thing - The rangefinder of a 62 your old camera IS easier to use with a .95 lens than a more modern Leica M

I'd say that around 90% of the photos were in focus at the point I wanted them to be. Forgive my negative conversions, I usually stick to B&W

Edited by Aldrahn
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Saved for a long time just to fund a well maintained shooter. I pair it with a Zeiss 50mm f2 Planar

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...