On 6/28/2020 at 9:06 AM, chris_livsey said:

10 years ago I bought an M2, this one, from that auction site. It was sold as impact damaged, blacked out viewfinder and faulty rewind, parts only. It was acquired for I think about £150, so long ago all records lost in the mists of time. I knew of a UK repair man who could tackle the prism which was likely to be the big problem so off it went. A very reasonable estimate came back of  £350 so a serviced M2 for £500 under the market price for that time and it was a serial very close to another of my M2s and my preferred no self timer variant. Time passed and a letter arrived saying there was a delay but not to worry it would be done. We moved house a year or two later so a new address was sent in and again time passed. A gentle inquiry at Christmas became routine, there were family issues delaying repairs. As it does the march of time continued and I gave up hope of a reappearance and thought well, £150, not the end of the world it's probably gone for parts or been misplaced. Completely out of the blue a letter arrives, camera ready, profuse apologies for the delay of 10 years and did I still want the camera at the original estimate? I was not obliged to do so. It looks like a serviced M2 goes for nearer £1,000 these days so wasn't a tricky decision and here she is. Top plate damage knocked out so you can't see there ever was damage and the clearest viewfinder of any M2 I have handled. Perfect wind on and the quietest, softest shutter click, just a joy to shoot, worth a 10 year wait? Yes definitely!! Damaged prism was returned, I don't think I needed the proof, I may put it up for sale as "near mint".

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Some story.  I have 976131, a few spots earlier, but so too with a Tom A memorial softie.  Small world.  

Edited by SteveYork
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, SteveYork said:

Some story.  I have 976131, a few spots earlier, but so too with a Tom A memorial softie.  Small world.  

Indeed it is, I just bought here in the UK a s/h copy of "The Leica Manual" 1973 15th Edn. Tom recommended as being when they last made almost everything imaginable, it was ex library but not that many come up and condition was good. When it arrived the library in question was Capilano College, North Vancouver, what are the chances?

Still won't do the lottery though.😂

Thanks for posting

Leica M2-R

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Prosophos said:

Leica M2-R

What a superb M2 however Prospero you are only experiencing half the pleasure in not using period Leica lenses.  The Summicron 1:2/35 is excellent but overpriced, however the Summaron 1:2.8/35 is its equal at compartive stops.  I have both and cannot distinguish any difference.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, hektor said:

What a superb M2 however Prospero you are only experiencing half the pleasure in not using period Leica lenses.  The Summicron 1:2/35 is excellent but overpriced, however the Summaron 1:2.8/35 is its equal at compartive stops.  I have both and cannot distinguish any difference.

3 hours ago, norbertnl said:

I second this. The Summaron 35 is a gem to use, as is the Summicron 1:2/50 DR. These two in combination with my M2 has brought me back to Leica.

Thank you gentlemen.

I generally agree with you, and have had the pleasure of using both of the vintage Leica 35/2 + 50/2 'crons (but never had the pleasure of using the Summaron 1:2.8/35).

The problem is, I live in a place where for half of the year an f/1.4 lens is almost mandatory.   Besides, I've found that the humble Nokton has always been kind to me, with respect to the images I get with it.  And one definitely can't argue with the size and price for an f/1.4 lens.

Peter.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Prosophos:

a place where for half of the year an f/1.4 lens is almost mandatory

Hi Peter,

I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with the Nokton! I haven't tried a 40 on a Leica body yet. It seems to be an ideal focal length for any 35mm camera. Could be an option for the long winters we have here on this side, too.

Norbert

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, norbertnl said:

Hi Peter,

I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with the Nokton! I haven't tried a 40 on a Leica body yet. It seems to be an ideal focal length for any 35mm camera. Could be an option for the long winters we have here on this side, too.

Norbert

Norbert, a 40mm is worth trying.  My wife refers to my Minilux as the "Mickey Mouse" camera, however with its superb Summarit 1:2.5 / 40 is my favourite point and shoot camera.  The acceptance angle suits my way of seeing things, which is what it is all about.

• 3 weeks later...

Horses for courses: Linhof posted this on their Instagram. I think there’s enough M2 in the picture to justify showing it here, too. My two favourites. 😍

• Like 13

On 8/30/2020 at 12:35 AM, norbertnl said:

Horses for courses: Linhof posted this on their Instagram. I think there’s enough M2 in the picture to justify showing it here, too. My two favourites. 😍

Love your M2 photo, I always wanted a M2.  Your photo reminds me of how much I miss the wonderful round shades, especially in black on a silver chrome lens and body.  Beautiful.

Edited by m410

Am 31.8.2020 um 18:49 schrieb m410:

the wonderful round shades, especially in black on a silver chrome lens and body.  Beautiful.

You're right, I also like the IOORA shade on the Summicron 50DR very much.The other lens I use with the M2, however, a Summaron f/2.8 / 35mm, looks better with the all-black 12585 shade. I know it's historically "incorrect", the lens being from 1959, but the matt chrome part of the IOORA doesn't quite fit the more glossy surface of the Summaron's barrel.

On 8/30/2020 at 5:35 PM, norbertnl said:

Almost worth an extra thread: I love my Linhof and Leica cameras, or something like that. My Studienkamera 70 looks forward to enter the spotlight.

Two that I am looking after for a friend.

• Like 5

My M2S (or as the Army would call it, KS15-4), the military version of the M2-R (or rather it's the other way around since the M2-Rs were the ones that weren't sold to the Army). Pretty great camera and much easier to load.

• Like 6

vor einer Stunde schrieb carbon_dragon:

My M2S (or as the Army would call it, KS15-4), the military version of the M2-R (or rather it's the other way around since the M2-Rs were the ones that weren't sold to the Army). Pretty great camera and much easier to load.

Interesting! The serial number of yours is just a few hundred after mine. They're from one of the last batches that were released Sept. 30, 1966.

• Like 2

Beautiful camera -- and cool user name, too (I get it). 

Here’s my M2 from 1966. It’s either this Summaron or an Elmar 9cm collapsible 1:4 on it. The black MR-4 is very accurate, recently rebuilt and calibrated to modern batteries. Readings track my M-D 262 and my M7 closely. 

• Like 4