Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 minutes ago, ktmrider2 said:

Where did you order the kit from?  I asked Youxin Ye about it a few weeks ago and he said he cannot do it.  I was thinking of the M2R which never made it to the general public.  And when I click the link a photo comes up of the kit but no information on how to order or who makes it. 

See post 838, which has the Leica part number.

Yes, I saw the post and my question is where do you order it from?  If you "google" Leica Photo Equipment Catalogue a couple old catalogues for sale on eBay come up.  There is nothing on the Leica website and Ye said there was nothing he was familiar with that would convert a standard M2 loading system into an M2R or similar.  So I see mdp just ordered the kit a few hours ago so where did he order it from?

6 hours ago, GRBrown said:

Leica part number 14260, described as “Rapid film loading system for all LEICA M models” in the Leitz General Catalogue of Photographic  Equipment, Edition of 15th September 1978. 

I have one in my M2, making it even more perfect than it already is. 

59 minutes ago, ktmrider2 said:

Where did you order the kit from?  I asked Youxin Ye about it a few weeks ago and he said he cannot do it.  I was thinking of the M2R which never made it to the general public.  And when I click the link a photo comes up of the kit but no information on how to order or who makes it. 

Your best bet may be on sites like eBay. I got mine from a local seller. M2-Rs are nice but will cost about $500-700 more than an M2/rapid load spool combo.

I obtained a #14260 quick loading kit for my M2 from an eBay seller recently. While in as-new condition (and VERY handy), it was missing the film loading diagram sticker supplied originally. So, I made one by scanning an online image, using a cleaned it up and printing it on adhesive-backed vinyl stock. I have attached the image file for DIY users. Or, if you need such a sticker, let me know and I'll send you one.

I have also attached a couple of photos of my M2 with 50mm f2 Summitar. In use (first photo) the lens carries a Summitar to E39 adapter purchased from DAG and a UV filter to protect the lens's very vulnerable front element.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

Hello Craig,

Welcome to the Forum.

It is very nice of you to put the diagram on the Forum.

As a person who has been using 1 of these with an M3 since 1973, here are some suggestions:

I generally put the film a little more than 1/2 of the way around the snail instead of the less than 1/2 of the way around that this (And my.) diagram shows.

After the film leaves the snail on rewinding (The tension on the rewind drops.): 1 complete turn (Almost) of the rewind knob leaves about 2 centimeters/1 inch of the film OUTSIDE of the  film cartridge.

When re-inserting the snail into the camera: IF a person puts their right thumb in the film loading opening in the snail: That will provide the alignment shown in the diagram.

Keeping in mind that the diagram, as provided here, shows the camera turned around with the lens pointing AWAY from the person loading it. Instead of the other way around with the lens pointing at the person loading the camera.

Which the camera often is when it is being loaded.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

Well, I find myself with only an M2 as my film Leica.  I had an M4 on order from Tamarkin and I returned it.  I really don't need two film Leica's but the M4 did not feel or look as good as my M2.  And since I will be traveling around the world this fall and will be in Tokyo for ten days, it will give me a chance to hunt for an M4 (perhaps in black paint).  Honestly, there is just something about the M2 which I can not put my finger on but the viewfinder is the BEST in any M.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, ktmrider2 said:

Well, I find myself with only an M2 as my film Leica.  I had an M4 on order from Tamarkin and I returned it.  I really don't need two film Leica's but the M4 did not feel or look as good as my M2.  And since I will be traveling around the world this fall and will be in Tokyo for ten days, it will give me a chance to hunt for an M4 (perhaps in black paint).  Honestly, there is just something about the M2 which I can not put my finger on but the viewfinder is the BEST in any M.

I literally did exactly as you are planning to in purchasing a BP M4 in Tokyo to add to my M2 and MP. As lovely as it is in BP, the M4 is still not a patch on the M2 (or MP, really).  If the M2 is a bank vault, the M4 is a sizeable floor safe. Similar, but just not the same. 

In your shoes, I would look for another M2 in Tokyo. I would (and quite possibly will, when we visit Tokyo in November) look for a nice button rewind M2, and then get Kanto Camera to overhaul if required (and possibly paint it black). 

Cheers

J

First off, thanks to Michael for the great film loading tips. 

I have two film cameras (well, actually three when counting my terrific little Olympus OM-1): a IIIF with 50 mm /f3.5 Elmar and the aforementioned M2 with Summitar.  I did something even more dramatic than returning an M4 in favor of my M2. I purchased, then -- after one day and with some embarrassment --  sent back a brand new M-A! (Luckily, the vendor accepted the return "no questions asked").

There was nothing really wrong with the M-A, (other than the $4,800 price tag). It just didn't offer any advantages over my near-mint M2. In fact, the M-A didn't seem quite as solidly built and exhibited a less smooth film advance. Of course, the perceived build quality difference could very well be only in my "wishful thinking" imagination and the M-A's film advance could become silkier when the parts have bedded in, but still....

I am not belittling the M-A. It is a beautiful hunk 'o Leica, but it's just no better than my faithful M2. Now, I probably would have kept the M-A if nearly five grand was merely "chump change" to me, but that much cash will buy a heckuva lot of film for my M2 and help keep my retirement funds intact!  My thanks to the prominent New York City  dealer who understood why I will continue to clutch my good ole M2 to my mighty chest.

By the way, my first Leica was an M4 bought from the Alfredo Olivera in New Orleans (what a terrific mentor). At the time I thought my M4 was the best camera in the world. I still think it's right up there, but just under the M2. Why? Well, as others have said, I can't put my finger on it, but there it is.

Later, y'all.

Craig

Craig, as you my first Leica was one M4 that I thought the best Leica in the world for decades.

While using some M4s for the same decades, I must admit that the best Leica Ms need to be repaired or adjusted once in a while.

Last decade (or maybe sooner ?), my Ms and lenses needed to be repaired /adjusted and this became more and more expensive to maintain.

So I went to M3/5/4-2/4-P/6/P and "ex-last before THE last"  ...M2s which in use are so smooth but solid feel.

M2 leaded me to

M-A ...

At last, in late 2014, M-A  my secret dream came true, at last new Leica M "no electronic" to use/ last some time without CLA/or repair.

Not as smooth as those older Ms but the M-A's VF is the best of them all and represent for me the best mix of features I like, one stage trigger shutter, frames lines for 28mm and above all "itching 75mm" when I fancy to use my excellent Summilux-M 75mm with the x1.25 magnifier, quick loading, unbrakable rewind/wind-on mechanism, and possibility of electric winder or Leicavit when needed, no self-timer for better handling, etc.

Edited by a.noctilux

41 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

Craig, as you my first Leica was one M4 that I thought the best Leica in the world for decades.

While using some M4s for the same decades, I must admit that the best Leica Ms need to be repaired or adjusted once in a while.

Last decade (or maybe sooner ?), my Ms and lenses needed to be repaired /adjusted and this became more and more expensive to maintain.

So I went to M3/5/4-2/4-P/6/P and "ex-last before THE last"  ...M2s which in use are so smooth but solid feel.

M2 leaded me to

M-A ...

At last, in late 2014, M-A  my secret dream came true, at last new Leica M "no electronic" to use/ last some time without CLA/or repair.

Not as smooth as those older Ms but the M-A's VF is the best of them all and represent for me the best mix of features I like, one stage trigger shutter, frames lines for 28mm and above all "itching 75mm" when I fancy to use my excellent Summilux-M 75mm with the x1.25 magnifier, quick loading, unbrakable rewind/wind-on mechanism, and possibility of electric winder or Leicavit when needed, no self-timer for better handling, etc.

All good points in favor of the M-A, f’sure - especially the new camera’s probable lack of repair need for the remainder of my lifetime. I am fortunate, however, to own an M2 that is amazingly well preserved. Cosmetically, it is nearly flawless with only one very small bright spot on the top and  virtually no other signs of use.  As for the viewfinder, I found it — in a side-by-side comparison — to be as bright and contrasty as the M-A’s (at least to my old eyes).   But, as I said, my M2 is probably in atypically fine condition.  Given this, I simply could not justify the not inconsiderable cost of the beautiful M-A.  

Craig, as you will see from the photograph of my M2, it is pretty close to mint nothwithstanding the fifty years of reliable service it has provided.  Many years ago on a visit to Wetzlar I was advised to CLA the camera every ten years or so as the oils gather microscopic dust which wears particularly the brass gears.  Whether it's Wetzlar, Ottmar Michaely or Don Goldberg I recommend you having your superb M2 given the once over.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2019 at 9:23 AM, Mute-on said:

... only if you store your Leica in a hermetically sealed container and never remove it. 

Otherwise it is totally reasonable. 

Similarly but maybe not so frequently the same with lenses.  In 1971 I bought this Summicron 1:2/35 and looked after it.  When shining a pencil light through the optics it looked fine, however following the above advice in 1992 I sent it to Solms for a CLA.  It came back "sparkling" and the colour saturation on Kodachome was improved.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JimBo said:

I had an M2 back in the 70s (994970) I just loved to use. The film advance had a different, more solid feel to it than my M4. I kick myself for selling it!

JimBo, may I suggest you look for a good M2.  Alternatively an M2 film advance lever can be fitted to your M4.  My M7 à la carte was ordered with the M2 lever and is used with Portra 400 at 250 ISO for speed and the M2 still preferred for Ektachrome.  Furthermore even though the M7 has the 0.85 viewfinder it is not as good as the good old M2.

Edited by hektor
typo
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, weeowee said:

parcelforce is taking so long in shipping my M2! This thread and the photos are keeping me sane. 😂. But seriously, does anyone have any experience with them? I don’t know why it’s taking so long they had it since june 28.

I find Parcelforce take a little longer than some but not usually that bad. Try getting in touch with their local depot.

3 hours ago, JimBo said:

I had an M2 back in the 70s (994970) I just loved to use. The film advance had a different, more solid feel to it than my M4. I kick myself for selling it!

This is entirely consistent with my experience of BP M4 and M2. 

When I queried Kanto Camera about an M4 characteristic that I felt was less refined than my M2, they simply said (in nearly perfect English), “it is not M2”.  No further explanation required. 

I agree with hektor. Find another nice M2 and rediscover Leica nirvana. 

:)

7 hours ago, Matlock said:

I find Parcelforce take a little longer than some but not usually that bad. Try getting in touch with their local depot.

emailed them, they replied that as the receiver they can’t help me. I was advised to ask the sender to email on my behalf and ask about my item.

Even though I know the tracking number..

I don’t know why they can’t just check. It doesn’t make any sense to me.