I mentioned a page ago that using one M2 had inspired me to buy another. M2 prices seem to be rising rapidly. The new camera is filled with Delta 3200 @ 1600 and will accompany me for a long walk with the dogs this evening. I'm in the mood for grain and drama.

To be happy,

two M2 can help 😇

but not necessary

if not married them with nice lenses

like Summarit-M (not "good period" but good lenses)

without some good film rolls 😉

I just swapped an M5 to a friend for an M2 I sold him two years ago.  My favorite M film bodies are now the M2, M4 and M5 in no particular order.  However, when I raised the M2 to the eye with just the 35 frame line showing in the viewfinder after a couple years of using the M5, I fell in love all over again.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, iancaldo said:

I recently had my M2 repainted and CLA'd at Kanto Camera in Japan. They did a really good job.

photos:) so we can see it too. 

That thing looks incredible for 1958!  I love the button rewind look of these, I wish the MP had gone that route instead of the lever.  So clean.

Edited by Jon Glass

Please forgive the camera shake, its a little dark in here today.... My new to me 1965 M2 and I'm in love already lol, its a world of difference to my M10 & better in many ways.

DSCF6382 by Ian Candler, on Flickr

DSCF6379 by Ian Candler, on Flickr

DSCF6380 by Ian Candler, on Flickr

Edited by magixaxeman

I have had this combination for fifty years, having tried every Leica camera since, IMHO this is the best and my favourite:

3 minutes ago, hektor said:

I have had this combination for fifty years, having tried every Leica camera since, IMHO this is the best and my favourite:

Couldn’t agree more. 

I just went from having no classic film M to two in a week.  For the last couple years I have been using an M5 for my film body having sold my last M2 to a friend who had never used a Leica but had shot plenty of film.  Recently, I traded him the M5 for the M2 and as I posted earlier one look through the finder of the M2 with the 35mm frame line reminded me why I have owned more of them then any other film camera.  It is an early model with a button rewind and was gone over by Sherry a few years ago.

And I have another film M on the way from Tamarkin, a chrome M4 which is my other favorite model.  I would love a black paint M4 but $2000 for a paint job, no way.  I prefer the film loading on the M4 but love the finder of the M2.  I need to find a camera that combines both (forget which version of the M2 it is called).  Now, which to take to the Philippines at the end of the week?  But that is another issue.

Edited by ktmrider2
spelling

54 minutes ago, ktmrider2 said:

I just went from having no classic film M to two in a week.  For the last couple years I have been using an M5 for my film body having sold my last M2 to a friend who had never used a Leica but had shot plenty of film.  Recently, I traded him the M5 for the M2 and as I posted earlier one look through the finder of the M2 with the 35mm frame line reminded me why I have owned more of them then any other film camera.  It is an early model with a button rewind and was gone over by Sherry a few years ago.

And I have another film M on the way from Tamarkin, a chrome M4 which is my other favorite model.  I would love a black paint M4 but $2000 for a paint job, no way.  I prefer the film loading on the M4 but love the finder of the M2.  I need to find a camera that combines both (forget which version of the M2 it is called).  Now, which to take to the Philippines at the end of the week?  But that is another issue.

I believe that there is a sort of “kit” that changes the M2 and M3 loading system into the same drop-in system as the M4 (and M2R). Sherry Krauter or Yousin Yee (and many here) would know about this. I think it is a DIY change and not so expensive.

1 hour ago, Michael Hiles said:

I believe that there is a sort of “kit” that changes the M2 and M3 loading system into the same drop-in system as the M4 (and M2R). Sherry Krauter or Yousin Yee (and many here) would know about this. I think it is a DIY change and not so expensive.

Here is a kit one can just drop into an M2. It installs in a minute and is simply left in the camera. I included one in an M2 I sold to one of our members.

The Leica M2-R had the M4 type loading.

Edited by pico

Leica part number 14260, described as “Rapid film loading system for all LEICA M models” in the Leitz General Catalogue of Photographic  Equipment, Edition of 15th September 1978. 

Where did you order the kit from?  I asked Youxin Ye about it a few weeks ago and he said he cannot do it.  I was thinking of the M2R which never made it to the general public.  And when I click the link a photo comes up of the kit but no information on how to order or who makes it.