Advertisement (gone after registration)

my M2 got repainted and now re-born again

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

That black repaint M2 + Leicavit-MP is dream camera stuff!

Now what you need is a black paint Rigid or better a black paint Summicron v1 to match ;-)

I am still contemplating if I should source a Leicavit-MP to be repainted (these originals are expensive nowadays in any version) to match to my BP M2 or have my BP M2 converted to take a current Leicavit, making all along easier to use.

Here is my black paint M2 (1958) that indeed I love, with Leica -Meter MR, also paint (1963?).

Sad, I do not have a black paint lens for it.

Regards

Antonio

• Like 7

Thanks menos I M6, really depends on timing to get one nice bp

u won't regret for getting any version of vit, as well as Tom's. that's a m2 should look like from my pov. cheers

May I ask about the details of how this Leicavit has been made to work with the M2 (does this M2 simply receive an updated take up spool drive shaft to receive the original Leicavit-MP shaft?).

Who made this work (mechanics + paint) if I may ask?

How is the Leicavit MP performing - is it dependable and perfectly working every time or is it as finicky, as many online info suggests it to be?

I have a  late Leicavit-M on my modern film bodies which works fantastically and would like to know if the more complicated original (and now very expensive) Leicavit-MP is as dependable when properly overhauled.

… and I agree with you - this is the perfect combo BP M2 + Leicavit - but I would rather put a 35 Summicron on it myself ;-)

Here is my black paint M2 (1958) that indeed I love, with Leica -Meter MR, also paint (1963?).

Regards

Antonio

Oh - how beautiful Antonio!

Is this one of the original factory BP bodies or a later conversion?

In leu of a black paint lens, a rather affordable 35 Summilux vII or Summicron works just fine ;-)

Edited by menos I M6

Regards

Antonio

Beautiful, and original. Is the service seal intact?

A rigid or DR Summicron from '58 would look great on it. Or a 50 Summilux (I).

Edited by philipus

Oh - how beautiful Antonio!

Is this one of the original factory BP bodies or a later conversion?

In leu of a black paint lens, a rather affordable 35 Summilux vII or Summicron works just fine ;-)

Beautiful, and original. Is the service seal intact?

A rigid or DR Summicron from '58 would look great on it. Or a 50 Summilux (I).

Thank you very much both of you, for your kindness.

It is an original BP body, serial nº is consistent, (between 948601 and 949100).

The service seal is not present, I suppose the camera had, some times before I got it, some CLA, may be in US where it came from, and a good one, because it is optically and mechanically impeccable.

About Leica black paint lens dream “affordable”, I´m sorry but for me, now, is a concept very relative….

Best regards

António

• Like 2

O, no António, regarding the mentioned lenses - I was referring to the ordinary mass produced black anodized aluminum lenses which fit the M2 iust fine and work beautifully.

A contemporary, standard production 35mm Summilux usually sells for much, much less than the value of a genuine BP M2. Nice user copies can be had already for ~1300-1600 USD. Contemporary (silver chrome) v1 Summicron lenses do cost usually a bit more but are also very beautiful matches to a BP M2.

Here is an old picture of my BP M2 with my 1967 35 Summilux with infinity lock (this is not one of the original factory BP M2 bodies, but a later factory conversion complete with it's factory seal still intact - after so many years it's slow speeds are not reliable any longer and the film advance is more tight than it should be. I am still contemplating how to proceed with this sample both to get it back to perfect working condition AND retaining it's value over a run of the mill repainted camera body):

L1050443-M9%20Digital%20Camera-.jpg

• Like 5

philipus and menos I M6

Thanks again for your posts. 

True that the suggested lenses fit nicely and I can prove that (sorry I´ve no Summilux), but they are not black paint…

Yours

Antonio

• Like 8

Great kit Antonio. The rigid does look fantastic. It oozes solid mechanical engineering. The Collapsible looks amazing too. There's just something about that larger piece of slightly coloured glass in a collapsible mount that is so appealing.

• Like 1

Here's mine.

• Like 7

Re-skinning my M2 :)

Edited by pwrdesign
  • Like 5