Advertisement (gone after registration)

I sold my M8. Just because the M2 was more confortable In my hands and In my eyes. Never regret. Never look Back.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 12

• 1 month later...

Lincoln, you are right, it was much better, when I had removed the chair, but sometimes shit happens. I just scanned this capture, to see, how the Delta 100 handles very contrasty situations. Now that Fuji is discontinuing Neopan 400 again, I'm just discovering alternatives, or just playing / burning my old film stock.

• 3 weeks later...

My 1966 M2, fresh from a repaint and CLA by Kanto cameras in Japan - arranged by Bellamy Hunt.

Best wishes all,

Colin

• Like 9

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks, Dirk.

My M2 was previously in cosmetically nice condition (it's on page 19 of this thread, as it looked before the repaint), but the controls were stiff, and there was a lot of play in the film advance. The viewfinder was lacklustre and washed out - the rangefinder patch was hard to see. Also, most of the vulcanite was missing from the back door. I decided to have the camera painted black, since all my lenses are black.

Apparently, when Kanto de-chrome and paint a camera, the old vulcanite is always removed, so this is new vulcanite. I prefer it to the original as it's a bit coarser and more grippy. Apparently, the shop has a wide range of different leathers available. What astonishes me is the paint finish - it's so smooth and perfect. The camera now operates like new. It's had a full CLA, so it's smooth and tight (Kanto replaced the shutter roller), and the viewfinder is crisp and clear - easily superior to the viewfinders in either my M6 or M Monochrom.

Essentially, I feel as though I now have a meter-less MP, which looks even nicer, and has a less cluttered viewfinder, for a lot less money.

Cheers,

Colin

Edited by colint544
  • Like 2

Guest labrador

• Like 13

• 4 weeks later...

The latest member of my Leica collection arrived safe and sound today for more TLC. When I first spotted this M2 I’d been puzzled by the SNR and configuration that didn't match that compiled by so-called experts on this subject – M2s initially came without a self-timer, a feature added in 1960 with SNR 1 004 151 and standard on all M2s until the camera was discontinued in 1967. This particular camera is newer so it ought to have a self-timer, but it doesn’t. How come? IMHO it looks much better without one anyway, i.e. uncluttered.

On checking Leica Pocketbook (8th edition in English) I found it doesn’t mention a SNR block with the number! However, the 6th edition in German shows a block of 1900 M2s in 1966 which includes it. I thought about this and surmised the camera must have belonged to a special production run for the New York subsidiary. E. Leitz Inc. had a long history of ordering specials from Wetzlar – when they had the clout to do it.

Having reserved the camera there was little time for humming and hawing; the dealer told me the camera was in superb condition, the cleanest M2 he had seen in years and in original condition. He’s never disappointed me in the past, so he got my card number.

On opening the original box this morning I found an M2 in Ex++ condition – having been CLAed it can’t be mint but it certainly is in pristine condition. Going through the papers in the box I discovered a credit card sized Import Certificate stamped with the Serial Number and bearing a US Customs Entry No. 575416 plus the instruction to

Retain this certificate as evidence of legal importation

On the back it reads:

E. LEITZ, INC.

468 Park Avenue South

New York, N.Y. 10016

So, my hunch paid off and I’ll have no problems taking it to New York for a shooting session..:D

Col

Edited by colmac
  • Like 8

• 1 month later...

Fantastic!! Perfect match with new leather.

:D M2 without self-timer... interesting lever rewind instead of button rewind...

After a C.L.A....

VF frame line 35-50-90 are clean & clear...

contrasty focusing patch...

accurate rangefinder mechanism...

butter smooth lever film advance...

music-to-my-year mechanical shutter sound...

replaced crack vulcanite with new leather coat...

This 1959 baby is now NEW...:D

5041588519_4e930f0ff1_z.jpg

• Like 5

One of the joys of the day...:)

• Like 8

Refill.

Pete

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...