Advertisement (gone after registration)

Does anyone know when (serial #) Leica switched from button rewind to lever?

I've just acquired an M2 circa 1959 sight unseen and curious what version I purchased. The vendor doesn't know because it's shipped and on it's way to me now. I like surprises but also should have asked more questions before purchasing!!

Just found some infos here:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/M2

quote:  "Initially the M2 was launched with a push-button rewind release, but this proved unpopular and was replaced within the first year of production with a lever."

Let us know !

Cheers, JM

Thanks JM, I'll let you know and will be sure to post a photo when I receive it. Judging by the serial number, it looks to be from the last batch produced in 1959. I'm guessing that it is a lever model, no self timer but only time will tell! I am excited to own an M2 regardless of the model and look forward to running some film through it...

Having never used an M2 with the button rewind, I'm curious if it needs to be pressed and held all the time while rewinding the film, or just pushed once and will stay in position? 

Just press it and it stays in. The moment you move the advance lever it pops back out!

Apparently there were 2 button rewind versions :

https://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75999

Edited by JMF

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have an M2 with button rewind.  I press the button once and it stays in.  However, there is a version which requires you to hold the button in.  Don't know which serial numbers are which.  I could be happy with either lever or button but I got to say that the body without self timer seems just a bit more elegant.  I purchased it from Sherry about two years ago and before she sold it to me, she claimed it was one of the nicest M2's she has seen in a long time.  I have to agree with her but have been using an M5 purchased from her six months after the M2 more then the M2.  I really like the metering on the M5.

• Like 1

And as I just posted on the M5 thread, it depends on the day of the week as to whether the M2 or the M5 is my favorite film camera.  Luckily, both are available and both seem to just go on forever with a little TLC (called a CLA if it is a Leica M).  My M2 is a button rewind without self timer from 1959 and looks like it just came out of the box and since Sherry had preformed a CLA just before purchase, it feels like it just came out of the box.

I've received my new to me M2 and it looks to be in relatively good user condition. A few dings here and there, the leather is in good shape, and from what I can tell initially all shutter speeds are firing properly. Viewfinder is clear and bright and rangefinder seems to focusing ... I think I've got a winner.

One concern, when I mounted my 50 Summicron V4 it was very tight to seat, compared to M6. I had to use a lot of force to fully click it in. I will test with my other lenses when I can, but should I be concerned by this?

One concern, when I mounted my 50 Summicron V4 it was very tight to seat, compared to M6. I had to use a lot of force to fully click it in. I will test with my other lenses when I can, but should I be concerned by this?

Have the lens mount checked, any twisting or out of alignment of the mount will cause this. If this is the case, then this can be repaired by a competent repairer, and a CLA performed at the same time.

• Like 1

Too early to tell if I love it but I certainly have very fond first impressions. Shot on Portra 160, Leica M6, Tele Elmarit 90mm 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

This is my M2 with a Contax Rigid Tessar attached on a Cook & Perkins adaptor.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Loving this combination.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

M2 with Cron-C 40 and Voigtlander 35mm external vf

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Leica M2 + Voigtländer Color-Skopar 35mm/f2.5

Edited by jaakkohiltunen
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...