Advertisement (gone after registration)

me too

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

This is the 39th black M2 produced. Originally owned by Inge Morath, famous Magnum photographer.

Erik.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Who replaced the original eyepice with a rubberized M6 type? You or Mr. Morath? I had to do the same thing with my M4-P because the accursed metal original ruined my expensive progressive specs in no time. So I'd say it is legitimate. But I saved the original and can replace it if I ever sell the camera.

The old man from the Age of Brilliant Finders

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Who replaced the original eyepice with a rubberized M6 type? You or Mr. Morath? I had to do the same thing with my M4-P because the accursed metal original ruined my expensive progressive specs in no time. So I'd say it is legitimate. But I saved the original and can replace it if I ever sell the camera.

The old man from the Age of Brilliant Finders

The eyepiece is not replaced, I just screwed in a correction lens (+0,5), because I use the camera every day.

Erik.

Guest Henri Klein
This is the 39th black M2 produced. Originally owned by Inge Morath, famous Magnum photographer.

Erik.

obviously this one has seen better days and better use

love mine too even if transformed in paperweight now (blind rf, waiting for a donor)

Berthram,

Have you thought about contacting Peter Grisalfi at CRR in Luton, UK? He is one of the UK's top Leica techs and looks after our Queen's leicas. He can rebuild and resilver RFs for a fraction of the cost of replacement (even if the parts are available). Only problem is a 3 month wait. You'll see from his website that not all M2 RFs are the same.

M2/3/4 Rangefinder Restoration

Charlie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

obviously this one has seen better days and better use

This one obviously was used intensively from 1958 to 1967, after wich it was put away in favor of an M4. After that, it wasn't used anymore until it recently got a superb CLA from one of the best Leica technicians around. It performs now like a new camera. However, because of the camera's historical interest, I did not want to change or "restore" anything on the exterior of the camera.

I can assure you it sees at least very good use nowadays.

Erik.

love mine too even if transformed in paperweight now (blind rf, waiting for a donor)

Berthram, You might not find an original M2 rangefinder assembly, maybe you may want to put in an M4-P finder. When my finder went POOF! in 1990, I had the M4-P finder installed in my M2, the finder is a little crowded (6 framelines) but I can use my 28mm and 75 mm lenses w/o the use of auxiliary finders. Just a thought. Russell:)

Edited by russell c. greenberg
tell me about that Angenieux lens mounted on your M2

Berthram,

Have you thought about contacting Peter Grisalfi at CRR in Luton, UK? He is one of the UK's top Leica techs and looks after our Queen's leicas. He can rebuild and resilver RFs for a fraction of the cost of replacement (even if the parts are available). Only problem is a 3 month wait. You'll see from his website that not all M2 RFs are the same.

M2/3/4 Rangefinder Restoration

Charlie

Thanks topoxforddoc:)

I contacted them near a month ago for only resilvering viewfinder's prism...I didn't receive any kind of reply... and Rf unit found on eb were too expensive.

So I re-tried to repair following different ways, one was 90% perfect: so...rebirth of n° 1161162 3 days ago:)

Many things learnt with that experience... first is that M2 are really "die hard" bodies

Thanks topoxforddoc:)

I contacted them near a month ago for only resilvering viewfinder's prism...I didn't receive any kind of reply... and Rf unit found on eb were too expensive.

So I re-tried to repair following different ways, one was 90% perfect: so...rebirth of n° 1161162 3 days ago:)

Many things learnt with that experience... first is that M2 are really "die hard" bodies

Berthram,

Peter at CRR is sometimes not a great email person. If you call him on the phone, he is really helpful and a very honest guy to deal with.

Charlie

The only new Leica equipment I've ever owned was a lovely M2R, which I bought the year they came out for an obscene low (list) price from my late friend Phil Levine. Had to eventually sell it, natch; but bought this M2 (one of 2) from Tamarkin a few years later. IMHO, the DR 50 is one of the top 2 best lenses Leitz ever produced. With the exception of a trusty Nikon F, the M2's are the last film equipment I still own and use. I broke down my darkroom years ago, so the Focomat 1C is in storage. I used to scan the TrI-X negs on an Imacon. When I sold the Imacon last year to finance a H3DII -39; I found that the Hasselblad on a Polaroid MP3 copy stand did just as good a job on the negs as the Imacon. Maybe an odd sort of equipment / timewarp..? But the output from my Epson printers is terrific.

I tell my students that cameras don't take pictures; people do. I make a personal exception to this rule with the Leicas.

CDM

NY.NY

• Like 1

I love when you look at me like that. :D

• Like 2

My M2, not a beauty, but i love her very much ...

Greetings from Hamburg

Olav

• Like 2