I used my M2 today for the first time guesstimating the shots since my old hand held light meter I discovered is broken. Using the M2 was far more pleasing than I could have ever imagined. Of all the M cameras I have ever owned, this one has been the most enjoyable to shoot with, even though the viewfinder is not very bright. The frame lines make all the difference, and the smooth advance lever and whisper of the shutter is music to my ears. For the first time I felt I could really compose a shot through the viewfinder as is. I used my 50mm lens today and not having to struggle with a small box in the viewfinder was simply marvelous. I think I understood better than ever why HCB got hooked on Leica. Now more than ever I want to start getting used to shooting with no meter. As soon as I get this first roll developed, if I have any keepers, and I hopefully will, I will post them.

Cheers,

Wilfredo

Benitez-Rivera Photography

Guest maddoc2003jp
I used my M2 today for the first time guesstimating the shots since my old hand held light meter I discovered is broken. Using the M2 was far more pleasing than I could have ever imagined. Of all the M cameras I have ever owned, this one has been the most enjoyable to shoot with, even though the viewfinder is not very bright. The frame lines make all the difference, and the smooth advance lever and whisper of the shutter is music to my ears. For the first time I felt I could really compose a shot through the viewfinder as is. I used my 50mm lens today and not having to struggle with a small box in the viewfinder was simply marvelous. I think I understood better than ever why HCB got hooked on Leica. Now more than ever I want to start getting used to shooting with no meter. As soon as I get this first roll developed, if I have any keepers, and I hopefully will, I will post them.

Cheers,

Wilfredo

Congrats to your new camera !! :) The M2 ( and M5) is the only M-Leica I have never used ... But from the M3 and M4 I had and have, I can understand your feeling about the M2 !

Post some photos !! Which film was the first one, Tri-X ?

Cheers,

Gabor

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Gabor,

I loaded the camera with Tri-X. My old Gossen meter I discovered yesterday is broken so I was guesstimating the shots which was actually quite liberating. I'd like to develop an ability to do that. I ordered some more film, T-max 400 and Tri-X. I can see myself buying lots of film now primarily because the frame lines in the M2 are perfect for my main three lenses. I simply love the camera and will get it CLA'd. It's probably been sitting in inertia for the longest time.

Cheers,

Wilfredo

I am happy for you, Wilfredo.

If I could only keep one, non-metered film body, I would keep the M2. It is so versatile, allowing me to shoot 28mm to 90mm without any external vf --- using the entire vf to frame the 28 focal length.

I hope that the CLA will brighten up your VF for you!

Good cheer, Thomas.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
Thanks Thomas.

BTW What does Leica charge for CLA? I've never had to do this before. Are there other reliable sources for a CLA'd here in the U.S.?

Thanks,

Wilfredo

Wilfredo,

I don't recommend Leica for a CLA on a M2. There are numerous other sources that are less costly, just as good and much quicker.

Check here.

Good cheer,

Thomas

• 5 months later...

My new M2 with the collapsicron :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

With its younger brother

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Just sold my M6 to fund a 50mm ASPH summilux. But I don't think I will ever part from my first Leica. Most beautiful camera ever, in my opinion.

Rob

• Like 3

That is a cool combo Stephen

• Like 1