Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey James!

Yeah turned out brilliantly didn't it! Great weather, great people. Berlin is a pretty cool city. Just don't tell anyone otherwise it'll get expensive!! Good to meet you too! I would love to hear more about your R3. You inspired me to check them out and do some research! That old 90 of yours was a nice surprise too. I fall into the trap of wanting the latest and greatest, but really sometimes older stuff does it differently but also beautifully. I'd love to see some shots with it when you get them. yeah summi's niiiice. Go on I know you want to! hehe.

I didn't have a choice I had to use my M2...all I've got! I mucked around for months deciding which one to get and the M2 had the best combination of attributes and better still it didn't cost me so much that I freak out when it gets in sticky situations. I think there were more M2's than MP's at the meet...M8's certainly ruled the roost. Good to see for Leica!

Cheers Stroop

• 5 months later...

Bill, what have you done? That M2 deserves a nice 1:2.8 Elmar. Or at worst, a rigid chromed v.II Summicron. With IROOA hood of course.

The M2 is of course the quintessential M. It is just like a classical English sports car: You sit on the tarmac, the sleet finds its way in through the gaps in the 'car brolly' and you stick out your hands to show which way you intend to turn.

There is only one thing I do not like about the M2. Film. Oh for a full-format digital M2 ...

The old man from the Age of the M2 (I was 22 when it was launched)

LoL! ;)

Lars, the lens that the M2 is wearing IS a 50mm Elmar (I know you mean an old-style one - this is my trusty Elmar-M). My M2 usually wears this:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

rather nice 50mm DR Summicron, or a 90mm Collapsible Elmar. This was taken on holiday in Seville. The only other 50 I had with me was my Canon f1.2.

I entirely agree with you about the M2 being the equivalent of a British sportscar; it's simplicity is deceiving - it will still hammer along at speed but it will spin you out into the ditch if you don't know how to handle it! :D

Regards,

Bill

• Like 1

Love mine too :)

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

We're traveling light.

• Like 3

My M2 & 50 2.8 Elmar.

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

My first post here. Let's see...

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Thought I would resurrect this small but perfectly formed thread after buying this well used but perfectly functioning M2 to tide me over while my MP is being unjammed at Leica, and to keep as back up. It feels great in the hand.

Sorry about the crappy shot.

I am watiing for a Leicameter MR 4 from ebay, chrome to use wiith it - do they work well?

• Like 1

Looks like a good user example there. Your MP better not take too long to repair otherwise you might find that you don't need it when it comes back!

Personally I wouldn't bother with the meter. Much better to use a handheld meter (or sunny 16 rule). They are old now an may not be too accurate/responsive. Batteries can be an issue too. I feel that they upset the handling/balance of the camera.

That said, some people love 'em.