35mm lens + 0.85 finder + eye glasses = ?

andybarton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am in a position to step up to an M7. But, I wear glasses and don't want to take them off to shoot, nor are contact lenses a solution any more.

Witn my M2, which has a 0.72 finder (or thereabouts), the 35mm frame line is more or less the entire viewfinder, thus necessitating a lot of "looking about" in the finder to see the entire frame. This is very frustrating.

It seems to me that a 0.85 finder may be the answer. (It happens that my local crack dealer has one on his shelf, too...)

Any advice, folks?

Thanks.

Andy, the 0.85 would be more suited for use with longer focal lengths. The 0.85 35mm frameline takes up more space in the viewfinder than the 0.72, and is more difficult to use from a framing standpoint in my opinion. Then again, I throw my 35 on my M3 and just use the force.

Some would say that the 0.58 finder is the best one for the 35mm frameline.

Hi Andy,

I have the M7 0.72 and wear glasses, though they are not thick lenses. I can see the full 35mm frame, without moving about, using my right eye. If I use the left I'm at a slight angle (because of nose impact!) so my eye is slightly further away from the viewfinder and, hence, I can no longer see the whole frame.

Incidentally, I think you meant the 0.58. If you go for the 0.85 you'll see even less of the frame with a 35mm.

Cheers,

Jason

Andy,

I own an M6 0.72 and M7 0.85 and thankfully don't wear glasses yet. I've had the M6 since introduction - the 0.72 finder was the 'only game in town' at that time. I have always missed the M3's finder though and made the decision to get the 0.85 version of the M7.

The 0.85 is an absolutely superb finder if you use lenses longer than 50mm. I can see the 35mm frame without glasses but, think that with glasses you would have a problem.

Best,

Jan

Andy,

most has been said, and so I just wanted to point out one more thing: The 35mm lines in your M2 will be located further towards the edges of the finder then they will be in a 0.72 M7. That is because the lines in any M camera are chosen to show the field of view with the lens at its closest focusing distance, which was 1m at the time of the M2 and is 0.7m for the M7 (and MP of course). Thus, the field within the lines is smaller with the M7 (as the lines were moved inwards somewhat to accomodate for the change in minimum focusing distance).

What I am trying to say is that while you may have difficulties in seeing the 35mm framelines in your M2, the situation may well be different with the M7, despite the same viewfinder magnification, for the reason noted above. I have an M7 with 0.72 finder and wear glasses, and I do not find it difficult to see the 35mm framelines. With the old framelines of the M2, Leica would IMHO not have been able to introduce the 28mm framelines (in the 0.72 finder that is).

Of course, with the 0.58 finder it is even easier to see the 35mm lines when wearing glasses, but you do lose focusing accuracy.

Cheers,

Andy

Guest Bastian A.

The 0.58 finder is a good solution to see the 35mm framelines without any problems.

I wear glasses and prefer this finder of my M6TTL for 35mm lenses (which I often use) over the 0.72 finders of my M2 and M5.

... and the 50mm framelines are very comfortable too.

B.

Now, I have an M2 and a .85 M7. I am perfectly happy using a 35mm with either. I wear spectacles and I am a left-eye shooter and the .85 finder causes me no problems at all. I have happily and successfully used the .85 with a 28mm lens, using the entire frame area as a guide. In fact, one of the advantages of the .85 finder - to me at least - is the lack of 28mm framelines when using the 90mm focal length. I actually think the M2 and M7/.85 combination is about perfect; the M2 is uncluttered, 35/50/90 - the "holy trinity". The M7 gives me 35-135/50-75/90 so between them they cater for 99.999% of my framing needs. I have just returned from Seville where I used the M2 and M7 together, one for b&w and the other for colour. During the parades I switched regularly and happily between the M2/50mm Elmar-M and the M7/35mm VC 2.5. When I get a chance I'll post some of the "findings" (pun intended).

The one piece of concrete advice I would give is TRY IT. We are all different, and what works for me may not, in practice, work for you.

Regards,

Bill

andy

there is a MINT M6 TTL 0.58 going on ebay Germany right now for Euro 1550 if you are interested....looks very fine incl boxes etc.

Leica M6 TTL 0,58 neuwertig, ovp bei eBay.de: Leica (endet 22.03.08 11:45:14 MEZ)

regards

andy

Thanks.

That, what I assume is a "Buy it now" figure is £250 more than the identical 0.58 I have just missed...

Buying ANYTHING from the Euro zone just isn't an option at the moment, I'm afraid. Even my next car might have to be something from somewhere other than Munich...

Small, but gives you an idea.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Screen captures from the a-la carte configurator.

- Carl

There is an article about the VF magnifications in LFI 2004#8. I remember thinking I should get a 0.58 at the time as I too am wearing glasses, but they were too hard too find. So I ended up with a 0.72. The 35 lines equals what I see looking through my 0.72 M6's finder.

- Carl