ka00lai

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ridder Cornelius
Oh no.

Not having this. Political correctness gone completely monkey-poo.

I haven't been apologised for since I was in my teens. I'm genuinely offended by this. I take responsibility for my own actions, thank you very much, and I shall thank you to not be so sanctimoniously high-handed in future.

Regards,

Bill

Amazing how most posts are managed to get totally F'ed up by people whom apparantly have nothing better to do than to "browse and screw" and I even recall reading "Gentleman Amateur" somewhere in the footing.

The above copied reply is totally unnecessary and disturbing, as for the use of the term "sanctimoniously high-handed" well there is something in the bible about a "splinter in the eye"

Amazing how most posts are managed to get totally F'ed up by people whom apparantly have nothing better to do than to "browse and screw" and I even recall reading "Gentleman Amateur" somewhere in the footing.

The above copied reply is totally unnecessary and disturbing, as for the use of the term "sanctimoniously high-handed" well there is something in the bible about a "splinter in the eye"

...and your constructive objective in bringing this up over a week later is...? Nice one. Well done. I'll go and stand in the corner, shall I?

By the way, it's a "mote", not a "splinter". If you are going to be insulting, get it right.

Regards,

Bill

Guest Ridder Cornelius

If ever I want to be insulting I do get it right ...

"7:1-6 We must judge ourselves, and judge of our own acts, but not make our word a law to everybody. We must not judge rashly, nor pass judgment upon our brother without any ground. We must not make the worst of people. Here is a just reproof to those who quarrel with their brethren for small faults, while they allow themselves in greater ones. Some sins are as motes, while others are as beams; some as a gnat, others as a camel. Not that there is any sin little; if it be a mote, or splinter, it is in the eye; if a gnat, it is in the throat; both are painful and dangerous, and we cannot be easy or well till they are got out. That which charity teaches us to call but a splinter in our brother's eye, true repentance and godly sorrow will teach us to call a beam in our own. It is as strange that a man can be in a sinful, miserable condition, and not be aware of it, as that a man should have a beam in his eye, and not consider it; but the god of this world blinds their minds. Here is a good rule for reprovers; first reform thyself."

Guest Ridder Cornelius
...and your constructive objective in bringing this up over a week later is...?

Like I mentioned earlier "your reply is totally unnecessary and disturbing" nothing to do with timeframe.

King James Bible:

"Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye."

Splinter makes a nonsense of the point being made - a "beam" is considerably larger than a "mote" - something a splinter isn't.

But I'll leave you to your Bible bashing. I'm a Deacon in the Church of Transcendental Aesthetic Hedonism myself.

Regards,

Bill

Guest Ridder Cornelius

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Splinter or mote, whatever I gather by your last port that you are perfectly aware of what I intentionally meant ..... call it a large goat or a small hedgehog for my part, and I think "Bible Bashing" is a bit out of tone here..... Narrow mindeness springs to mind.

Back to the original question. It's impossible for us to answer.

Some people - myself included would take the 28mm, others would take the 35mm. Really, really, really it's impossible for any of us to do anything other than state our personal preference, which my be at odds with yours and therefore worse than offering no advice at all.

Take both and let us know how you get on.

Guest Ridder Cornelius
Indeed, bashing the bishop is a much better option. It wins hands down.

Time for Pascal to make a whitty (french style) comment now .....

as for the choice of lens is determined the 28 or/and the 35 and maybe even a 21 or 90 or 75. I'm sure japan will not have any objections to any....

Guest Ridder Cornelius

I think "Hands Down" is a Poker term, I might be wrong though ....

we might need to ask our online "Deacon in the Church of Transcendental Aesthetic Hedonism" for an exact meaning ....

To each his own - I'm not even sure we can recommend a black polo shirt, because we don't know whether he prefers BW or color.

The grammatical choice, however, may be more interesting than shirt or lens: are you going to "bring" the lens, or "take" it?

Oh, the eternal North American (bring) v European (take) English debate:) This little linguistic quirk used to drive me to distraction (until I got used to it) whenever I visited my Canadian girlfriend.

Since we invented the language though, I vote for 'take':) :)

Oh, the eternal North American (bring) v European (take) English debate:) This little linguistic quirk used to drive me to distraction (until I got used to it) whenever I visited my Canadian girlfriend.

Since we invented the language though, I vote for 'take':) :)

Nothing to do with American vs 'English' ... you bring things here and take things there - that's the same in either dialect.

BTW, since we're off topic - I recommend "Mother Tongue" by Bill Bryson if these things bother you. As an Englishman in the US I find myself comparing and contrasting the languages on a regular basis - two languages that have split and evolved from a common core since the 18th century. Sometimes american spelling and pronunciation is truer to 'old' english than modern colloquial 'English' english which makes the whole snobbish 'English' vs american even more ridiculous.

As regards the trip, I'd have taken the 28 Cron too . :D

Well since no one has addressed the issue of the lenses, I would take the 28 simply because it is a Cron and will deliver you far more managable files than the Lux in the sort of light I figure you will get.

If the choice was 28Cron 35Cron then I think your choice would be a whole lot more difficult.

Sounds ike you need to spend and awful lot more time shooting with both.

"Nothing to do with American vs 'English' ... you bring things here and take things there - that's the same in either dialect.

BTW, since we're off topic - I recommend "Mother Tongue" by Bill Bryson if these things bother you. As an Englishman in the US I find myself comparing and contrasting the languages on a regular basis - two languages that have split and evolved from a common core since the 18th century. Sometimes american spelling and pronunciation is truer to 'old' english than modern colloquial 'English' english which makes the whole snobbish 'English' vs american even more ridiculous.

As regards the trip, I'd have taken the 28 Cron too."

This sort of thing doesn't bother me, I've spent a lot of time in North America, both the US and Canada, and many other regions of the world too. No offence or pomposity intended, it was just an off-topic humorous observation in response to a similar comment in a previous post.

By the way, I agree that 'bring' and 'take' have the same linguistic meaning and usage on both sides of the Atlantic, but it's been my experience that in North American English 'bring' is commonly used (eg: a conversation at home "I'll bring my camera to the office today") where 'take' would classically be used in Standard English (eg: I'll take my camera to the office today").

Apologies for remaining OT, but since the OP has already returned from his trip I hope no harm has been done.:)

On topic, my travel lens kit is MATE plus 75 Summicron, although I'd also like to have the 28 Cron.