A trip to Japan, which lens to bring?

ka00lai

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The 1.4 comes in really handy for Kyoto evening shots with the Maikos and the lit up cherry blossom trees. You can see some of my maiko shots at my Kyoto gallery, but they were taken at ISO 6400 with the D3.

Have fun and I hope the cherry blossoms are at full bloom when you come,

Arif

Those are some very nice shots Arif.

Re. which lens - really, I'd take both. They just aren't that big, if you buy a wrap you can easily fit whichever one isn't on the camera into any small bag you carry around for sightseeing. I regularly use a small (non-camera) shoulder bag and put the camera in a neoprene case, and spare lens in a wrap.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest malland
...the 28mm (= 35) would be generally best for street photography & landscapes, but if low light shooting is important then take the 35mm (= 47) lens because of its larger aperture....Anyhow, apologies for previous notes, including mine, which were disrespectful.
You're pushing the political correctness here to an absurd degree that, in the end, is not particularly helpful: yes, for you and many others it may be true that the 35mm EFL (28mm lens) might be the best for street photography, but it's the 50mm lens that has produced the bulk of "classic" street photography such as that of Cartier-Bresson; and for me, currently, I much prefer the 28mm EFL (21mm lens on the M8) for the bulk of my street photography.

So, in the end I think the original poster is much better served by a statement that this has to be a personal decision for which the advice advice by people whose photography one doesn't know, and who don't know one's own photography, is not likely to be particularly useful, which was the content of my post above. And the reason I posted the pictures above was to give an idea of where I was coming from. Here's another one, this time from Bangkok, with the 28mm EFL (which would be a 21mm lens on the M8):

2337995338_e75e57359a_o.jpg

...and another with a 40mm EFL lens (that would be 30mm on the M8), which is shot at 1/17sec with obvious subject motion:

2301951414_e49ae8894f_o.jpg

—Mitch/Bangkok

Flickr: Photos from Mitch Alland

ok with your average 3.17 posts per day (!) since registration you might know a little more about Photgraphy than the asker with his 0.01 posts per day. Sorry, but I can't hold myself back and think your tone is inappropriate, even if the question asked was not the smartest . How about providing valuable advice to less experienced members?

:mad:

What advice can we give a member who cannot decide which $3,000.00 lens to take abroad? I suspect the original poster is teasing us.

Some serious advice.

Both lenses you mention are on the wide-ish end of the scale. In any situation like this in which the choice is between fairly close focal lengths, take the wider lens. It's better to be a bit too wide than a bit too long.

Having said that, is there any really good reason why you can't take both?

No particular reason not taking both, just want to be as lightweight as possible because it's a vacation with my wife (may do a lot of shopping) and not a photo trip.

Thanks for all your opinions and I will take the 28 with me. :)

ok with your average 3.17 posts per day (!) since registration you might know a little more about Photgraphy than the asker with his 0.01 posts per day. Sorry, but I can't hold myself back and think your tone is inappropriate, even if the question asked was not the smartest . How about providing valuable advice to less experienced members?

:mad:

Firstly I don't see what number of posts per day has to do with photographic ability - you have some odd logic there.

To be fair, I had already given my 'serious' answer which was my honest opinion and offered in good faith. Anyway, whatever.

Anyhow, apologies for previous notes, including mine, which were disrespectful.

Oh no.

Not having this. Political correctness gone completely monkey-poo.

I haven't been apologised for since I was in my teens. I'm genuinely offended by this. I take responsibility for my own actions, thank you very much, and I shall thank you to not be so sanctimoniously high-handed in future.

Regards,

Bill

Firstly I don't see what number of posts per day has to do with photographic ability - you have some odd logic there.

To be fair, I had already given my 'serious' answer which was my honest opinion and offered in good faith. Anyway, whatever.

I guess I was talking about knowledge, wich is not to be confused with ability. I believe it is fair to assume that somebody posting on average more than 3 comments per day in this foum spends quite some time here, and thus, can not avoid but accumulate some knowledge about Photography.

Oh no.

Not having this. Political correctness gone completely monkey-poo.

I haven't been apologised for since I was in my teens. I'm genuinely offended by this. I take responsibility for my own actions, thank you very much, and I shall thank you to not be so sanctimoniously high-handed in future.

Regards,

Bill

Well you've obviously learnt very little by way of manners or how to conduct or control your self on a public forum since then. Your tone and attitude IMO to the op's question is quite frankly out of order and smacks of the same sanctimoious high handedness you complain about. Perhaps you have not moved on as much as you thought since your teens that people feel a need to apologise for you or in my case point out your utter rudeness.

Well you've obviously learnt very little by way of manners or how to conduct or control your self on a public forum since then. Your tone and attitude IMO to the op's question is quite frankly out of order and smacks of the same sanctimoious high handedness you complain about. Perhaps you have not moved on as much as you thought since your teens that people feel a need to apologise for you or in my case point out your utter rudeness.

Yup. That's me. Learned absolutely nothing. Utterly rude. No sense of humour. No manners at all. Completely antisocial. Shouldn't be allowed out in polite company.

Thank you for that twaddle. I shall send myself to bed with no supper.

Regards,

Bill

Not a hissy fit James. Just tired of seeing the school yard bullies walking all over us little folk and not being challenged on it. It's a shame really because your first post was quite in the spirit of what I believe this forum is about.;)

I am in Kyoto now shooting. 50% WAT, 49% 35 lux and 1% 75 cron.

I just came in from night shooting. the Lux is indispensable. I have a 50 and 28 with me but the 21 on the WAT makes it unneeded and widest angle on the temples and people is the way to go.

Get a cheap 15 if you don't have a WAT. You will use it all the time. Everything is close in. The buildings are big. The Great Gate is huge.

David

I'll have a trip to Osaka and Kyoto, Japan. I mainly shoot street shots and landcapes. I plan to bring my M8 and only 1 lens. Which is better, 28 'cron or 35 'lux ?

Bring wide angles, hey are not very good at making wide angles in Japan.

In scotland right now....Lovely...lovely people and place. As to the lens, I brought along

21, a borrowed 28, 35, 50 and 75.

I am happily doing most everything with my 35/75 combinations...only for the really

wide vistas have i found the need to call on the 21. ( i do have with me m8 + m7 ).

YMMV. My advice...take 1 or most 2 lenses only.

Regards.

Back from Japan.

I brought the 28’cron finally and was very happy with the decision. It's wide enough and fast enough most of the time. For some circumstances, I wished I had a 75mm (100 on M8) but I don’t actually own one.

The biggest disappointment is that there is no cherry blossom at all. 2 weeks later will be very good.