Totally chuffed

jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I changed the covering on my first M8 to Cameraleather's " Black Beauty" vulcanite-type leather a few months ago, but although it was very nice, nice fit, good grip, pleasing finish, I was not 100% happy. It was a bit thick and not as sleek as my green M8, and somehow the old-fashioned Vulcanite look was out of synch with the more modern M8-style (I know it sounds funny for a retro-camera, but try and make it look older and one notices the modernizing that has been going on.)

So I put " Granite Kid Skin" on today and the result is, imo, amazing. This is the way a chrome M8 should look! Fit was totally perfect and it was a ten-minute job.

The only downside was that the Cameraleather glue is clearly more tenacious than the stuff Leica uses and I had to remove some residue. White spirit and a final Ethanol wipedown took care of that. Another ten minutes, so less than half an hour in all.

And thanks to Mark, who originally pointed me in this direction

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No offense, but, yuck!

Actually, in real life, the shade difference between the chrome and the leather is minimal, and it really lookes very good. No offense taken, tastes differ.

I happen to like it, I put it on my M3...

The chrome camera certainly carries colour variations better than the black one where only black seems to work. I put slate blue on my chrome M8 but the batch was so dark that it looks black to all intents and purposes and resists all attempts to photograph it to show it.

I agree it's a pity Leica didn't put a chrome top on the grip when they changed everything else on the camera to chrome.

Guest guy_mancuso

I'm jealous i wish mine looked that clean. I have some nice wear and tear look going on my black ones . Mine get used pretty heavy though and certainly not anything near collection material.

Jaap, you're full of suprises. Here's mine recovered...grrrrrhh, woof!! It has a much better grip now so yes, I would say it improves my picture taking on the whole:rolleyes: Morgan at cameraleather happily provides an efficient and polite service producing a very accurate kit to cover the M8 for less than the price of a ir filter if you do it yourself. Thanks, Morgan! By following Mark Norton's link, it was an absolute breeze to apply in about twenty minutes once i'd mustered the initial courage. I used a rubber to remove the frame lever screw:p Thanks, Mark!:)

Guest guy_mancuso
Guy, where are your cameras wearing - along the top edges and corners?

Mark my right thumb area has a gloss going and yes the corners and edges are starting to get worn. I have also a lot of surface marks like light scratches. If i get a chance i will shoot them in the morning, have to hang out for my Epson printer to be delivered . It is actually pretty interesting how they are wearing. Might be kind of fun so folks know how they will wear after some time and use.

Guest guy_mancuso

I got the 3800 we needed one for the next workshop anyway but I really want to get back into printing some of my stuff. I have not had a printer in awhile , everything normally goes out to a lamda here in town for clients. Great printers the Lamda and they should be at 500k they should do your laundry too. LOL

Yes I think I have quite a bit of mileage on mine. BTW Mark you may have read my batteries issues in the cold and my thoughts are I am pretty close to useful life on the 6 I have , so i did a deep recycle on each one and just going to see if they come back some. They are going around 250 currently maybe a touch more but hoping to see if this actually does something. Will report conclusions , another area folks will eventually run into is the life of these batteries.

Jaap, was it really EASY and NO-RISK to do ? Mark detailed explanations are superb, but he, by himself, is also the man who dismantled the M8...

I just surfed on Cameraleather... tempted a lot and can't decide the finishing... but they look very fine... maybe I'll make a triple jump for IIIF/M4/M8...;) pity CL isn't "supported" ... but Rollei 35 IS...