I Have to express this!

Guest Ridder Cornelius

Guest Essemmlee

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was merely trying to formulate an image of the two old Muppet guys on the balcony, again nothing bad or personal intended, so if any of you feel personally “effected” by this, I’m genuinely sorry for it was not my intention.

Well. I for one, have been royally entertained by this thread. Keep it going.

Don't flame me for saying so though.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello again,

Please let me get the following cleared

The “Old Fart” stuff as it stands is indeed uncalled for, I didn’t mean it in a personal manner, or actually directed at one or any number of forumists here. I was merely trying to formulate an image of the two old Muppet guys on the balcony, again nothing bad or personal intended, so if any of you feel personally “effected” by this, I’m genuinely sorry for it was not my intention.

Don't worry, I didn't hear that,I left my ear-trumpet in my wheelchair..

I respectfully disagree here. I did not dismissed him because I disagree with him but because I found his post rude and inappropriate. Just as others posters said, this is a guy who just arrived and says "hey, how are all wrong and let me tell you what you should do".

As far as I know, you will not generate warmful answers in any culture.

May I remind that this was the 2nd post on the subject by the same person in less than 2 weeks ? When I saw the first one, I did not participate but read it. People have been quite cool there, explaining there point of view, etc

It was a perfect place to continue a debate.

So why starting a new one ? My opinion is that the last things he wants is a debate. Like many people, he wants to feed its ego, he wants a status and he thinks he can gets it by posting what he considers to be "very smarts posts", the "I will explain the world to you" kind.

The problem is, if you want a status, if you want respect, if you want Guy Mancuso credentials which seem to bother somes, you will have to earn them.

Either by making useful contributions or by being a fellow member by a long time or by posting nice images...

This is normal and as others have pointed out, the behavior of each society: we do not behave the same with people we know we can count on and with strangers who wants to rearrange our fourniture as soon as they enter our house.

And I cannot help but wonder why they are so surprised at each time.

P.S: I make a big difference between a useless conversion and a debate. And not everything said is a point of view. Sometimes, it is just a pure emotion speaking: anger, ego, need for love... You can then try to debate as much as you want: the other person will not enter a reasonable exchange of arguments. At best, it will leave to another thread to find what he wants, at worst he will insult you.

Pascal I am sorry you felt his post was rude and inappropriate. That is exactly what I believe he was trying to say about the responses he has received to his other posts. Having different standards for long standing members of the forum ( an opinion expressed by several on this post ) doesn t seem appropriate. Of course thats my opinion and others may differ. However.....dismissing posters with go shoot pictures...is again in my opinion rude. Which I believe you indicate was your intention in the above. My apology to others on the forum form clogging this post with nonsense.....but I think the poster proved his point..post anything outside of the conventional wisdom and be prepared for a long list of non value added attacks.

Guest Essemmlee
The problem is, if you want a status, if you want respect, if you want Guy Mancuso credentials which seem to bother somes, you will have to earn them.

Either by making useful contributions or by being a fellow member by a long time or by posting nice images....

Mmmmm, I'd best post some nice images then...........

Guest Ridder Cornelius

Pascal, please get this status and control thing out of your mind, you don't have to worry you can still remain "Queen of forum" for my part

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Pascal I am sorry you felt his post was rude and inappropriate.

Yes I am not the one who felt this way if you read the answers. And if you read its last post, you will also notice that the guy is clearly not looking for a debate but cannot prevent himself from being rude.

I do not think that the difference is between old and new posters here. It is between people who can behave and some who cannot.

But in my opinion, you forgive more to someone you know, who has give something to the forum than to someone who is offensive right out of the box. Others may differ as they say.

Yes I am not the one who felt this way if you read the answers. And if you read its last post, you will also notice that the guy is clearly not looking for a debate but cannot prevent himself from being rude.

I do not think that the difference is between old and new posters here. It is between people who can behave and some who cannot.

But in my opinion, you forgive more to someone you know, who has give something to the forum than to someone who is offensive right out of the box. Others may differ as they say.

"Its" last post? BTW, where are your galleries anyway? Also, you are a Cannonite, aren't you? I knew it! From 1995:

Ce...@resbld.sc.ti.com (Francis Celii) writes:

> I'm thinking of buying a 300mm Canon f/4 lens, with 1.4x converter, for my

>Canon EOS camera. Any opinions about this lens versus other similar lenses

>(e.g., Tamron, Tokina)?

Go for it, it is a very sharp lens and it is worth its reasonnable price.

The mechanical quality is excellent too and the AF is fast.

With the x1.4 converter, the optical quality will be slightly inferior

to the Canon EF 400mm/5.6L.

--

Pascal Meheut

pas...@cnam.cnam.fr

Alas... brothers and sisters - I admit it I am an 'old fart' (with Leica). Sigh. What is <often> old is new again. It seems to me so many many moons ago I had this same thought - the Leica M is the domain of 'old farts'. Now I am one!

Best Regards. Terry, Old Fart.

"Its" last post? BTW, where are your galleries anyway? Also, you are a Cannonite, aren't you? I knew it! From 1995...

Jeez, in 1995 I was shooting with a low end Pentax Auto Everything camera. So I must be even more beyond the pale than Pascal.

Guest rweisz

Holy cow, this thread is still going? I did some formals last evening and a series this morning for a corporate report, now I have to edit and process and crank out proofs...clients paying good bucks for this so I must make sure to clone all the boringness out of my Canon shots ;) Have fun while I'm slaving away.

Guest Ridder Cornelius

The images will come, as you can see by the structure of my posts I am still trying to figure out how to post-process them in the most favourable manner. Then I will post some for sure, this is after all the reason why I joined this forum (not to solely post pictures, but to get some advice on electronic post-processing methods).... but one step at a time

I would have to agree.

And the funny thing is that I never encounter this among my peers in person or outside of this place. So it is almost like I expect to get ruffled about something before I even get here.

So today I am personally facing a decision. In light of a recent squabble, I am close to making this site a read only or trying to adopt a method of filtering out or even laughing silently at remarks that would otherwise cause me to respond.

I am not an expert, I am not a newbie, I am just Daniel Bayer, a guy who loves his life as photographer. When I know a bit about something that might be a discussion topic, I will sometimes feel like responding. But honestly, I think it is best that I don't, even if it were a positive thing.

For the moment you are out of line of what the prevailing thinking is, prepare to catch mud. A good example would be lets say you have an issue with gear on a shoot that someone else has. If you give no context of what the job was, then you might be called a liar. If you give too much context, you are called a braggart. Either way, these types of forums will constantly be a place of conflict, ego wars, trolling, all that is what the internet has become.

So I personally have got to figure out a way to just move on past the usual things that might otherwise engage me in meaningless word wars.

And as far as new folks are concerned, this is not Magnum, I don't think there should be a minimum post or time requirement for those who want to give an opinion. That reeks of an elitist group, not good, so post away!

But really...the best thing you can do on here is to mot spend too much time here in the first place. I highly doubt there is a single person on here who is making a wonderful image as they "Bliggety-Blog" as my girlfriend would put it..

So I don't know if I will continue to post here anymore. I would rather see someone else get into it with the usual suspects...and they will, because those people will be here in some form or another.

I have to agree with every word you wrote here. This has also become a "read only" site for me (this being the one exception) for exactly the same reasons.

frankly it's the Bill Parsons. Jamie Roberts and others who allowed me to sense that I was in the right company though new to Leica. This forum has an opportunity to shine like a star

to the many who just want to learn and contribute a thought now and then. It would be a shame for it to evolve and become mean spirited and self righteous. We shoould be here to learn and help. otherwise, what's the point.

Wag