Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ridder Cornelius

I Have to express this!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...it’s no more than a personal view upon 2-3 weeks of M8 forum participation...I have only been a “member” of this forum for two weeks or so... the Leica M8 forum will be nothing more than a club of old farts, congratulating each other on the purchase of this, that and the other and continuously commending each other for owning such a great set of stuff...

Entering a forum is like entering a tribe or a new family. You can hardly pretend changing its rules or even its habits in 2-3 weeks. The old farts here don't agree on everything but respect each others. Can you do the same?

Guest stnami

.........you got it Rolo one post is followed by another:D

......the line runs in a vertical manner for many:cool:..forever spiralling into vortex

A forum is like real life: some people will be helpful and friendly, and some will not. This is something you must accept when engaging upon any human interaction. If I were in your shoes (and I was, once upon a time) I wouldn't pass final judgement just yet. This forum will answer your questions, amaze you with you with arcane knowledge, and generally be tolerant of newbie ignorance. Give it another chance and you might see what I mean.

Chris

I guess the same guy that put our new friend here in charge of posting a weekly analysis of our mental health.

BTW, I'm surprised you consider it rude to tell someone to post pictures in a photo forum.

Missing something here maybe ?

The difference is you challenged his right to post because you disagreed with his point of view. If your response was something along the lines of debating his position fine....but you just dismissed him and in essence told him to get lost. While its not appropriate to generalize ....my opinion is this is just happening too often. Your response is exactly what I am speaking to........you are surprised that someone consider your post rude.....you told him you had contempt for his post and that he should go elsewhere...just because you wrapped in" go take pictures" the meaning was clear. And just so I am clear....I am not supporting his position ...I just don t like ...what I perceive as a dismissive tone when someone posts an unpopular topic.

The truth is you find rude, pompous ass know it all in every profession or hobby but if you recognize who they are and pick your fights you'll find some extremely useful and entertaining information on this forum as well as wonderful people.. That being said people do tend to say and act in ways on a forum that they would never do in person,.It doesn't take a lot of bravery using a keyboard.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In my opinion (and feel free to disagree) the biggest mistake made around here, again and again, is the posting of an opinion as if it is incontrovertible fact, then the hissy fits that erupt when someone dares to express an alternate viewpoint.

I would have to agree.

And the funny thing is that I never encounter this among my peers in person or outside of this place. So it is almost like I expect to get ruffled about something before I even get here.

So today I am personally facing a decision. In light of a recent squabble, I am close to making this site a read only or trying to adopt a method of filtering out or even laughing silently at remarks that would otherwise cause me to respond.

I am not an expert, I am not a newbie, I am just Daniel Bayer, a guy who loves his life as photographer. When I know a bit about something that might be a discussion topic, I will sometimes feel like responding. But honestly, I think it is best that I don't, even if it were a positive thing.

For the moment you are out of line of what the prevailing thinking is, prepare to catch mud. A good example would be lets say you have an issue with gear on a shoot that someone else has. If you give no context of what the job was, then you might be called a liar. If you give too much context, you are called a braggart. Either way, these types of forums will constantly be a place of conflict, ego wars, trolling, all that is what the internet has become.

So I personally have got to figure out a way to just move on past the usual things that might otherwise engage me in meaningless word wars.

And as far as new folks are concerned, this is not Magnum, I don't think there should be a minimum post or time requirement for those who want to give an opinion. That reeks of an elitist group, not good, so post away!

But really...the best thing you can do on here is to mot spend too much time here in the first place. I highly doubt there is a single person on here who is making a wonderful image as they "Bliggety-Blog" as my girlfriend would put it..

So I don't know if I will continue to post here anymore. I would rather see someone else get into it with the usual suspects...and they will, because those people will be here in some form or another.

The difference is you challenged his right to post because you disagreed with his point of view. If your response was something along the lines of debating his position fine....but you just dismissed him and in essence told him to get lost.

I respectfully disagree here. I did not dismissed him because I disagree with him but because I found his post rude and inappropriate. Just as others posters said, this is a guy who just arrived and says "hey, how are all wrong and let me tell you what you should do".

As far as I know, you will not generate warmful answers in any culture.

May I remind that this was the 2nd post on the subject by the same person in less than 2 weeks ? When I saw the first one, I did not participate but read it. People have been quite cool there, explaining there point of view, etc

It was a perfect place to continue a debate.

So why starting a new one ? My opinion is that the last things he wants is a debate. Like many people, he wants to feed its ego, he wants a status and he thinks he can gets it by posting what he considers to be "very smarts posts", the "I will explain the world to you" kind.

The problem is, if you want a status, if you want respect, if you want Guy Mancuso credentials which seem to bother somes, you will have to earn them.

Either by making useful contributions or by being a fellow member by a long time or by posting nice images...

This is normal and as others have pointed out, the behavior of each society: we do not behave the same with people we know we can count on and with strangers who wants to rearrange our fourniture as soon as they enter our house.

And I cannot help but wonder why they are so surprised at each time.

P.S: I make a big difference between a useless conversion and a debate. And not everything said is a point of view. Sometimes, it is just a pure emotion speaking: anger, ego, need for love... You can then try to debate as much as you want: the other person will not enter a reasonable exchange of arguments. At best, it will leave to another thread to find what he wants, at worst he will insult you.

Guest stnami

Pascal enough of this verbal diarrhoea post some images.......

to pure diarrhoea

The problem is, if you want a status, if you want respect, if you want Guy Mancuso credentials....

........ then again I may be on his ignore list........... does that mean I get to dance on his grave without him knowing?

.........you got it Rolo one post is followed by another:D ......the line runs in a vertical manner for many:cool:..forever spiralling into vortex

Only acknowledging Steve' humorous response Imants.

KM-25, Stick with it, your input and especially your images justify your credentials.

Pascal, any credentials were ruined long ago by tantrums and absence of any images except lens tests. Only MO.

Rolo

Guest stnami

........not a drama there Rolo, we can watch the lost marines spiral

I highly doubt there is a single person on here who is making a wonderful image as they "Bliggety-Blog" as my girlfriend would put it..

Hey I'm scanning stuff!!!, and scanning is boring.........eating my magnum

Pascal, any credentials were ruined long ago by tantrums and absence of any images except lens tests. Only MO.

I do not understand. Why would I give credentials to someone about equipment based on the pictures he produces ?

These are 2 very different things.

[quote name=pascal_meheut;510612

The problem is' date=' if you want a status, if you want respect, if you want Guy Mancuso credentials which seem to bother somes, you will have to earn them.

Either by making useful contributions or by being a fellow member by a long time or by posting nice images...

[/quote]

Apologies Pascal, I hadn't realised that you were restricting your comment to equipment credentials only. I misunderstood, or it wasn't clear. No drama (quoting our friend Imants).

IMO, pictures are vital to credentials if someone is to be excused his daily tantrums, especially when the campaign continuously refers to so many years of experience as a professional photographer and not as a technician.

Rolo

IMO, pictures are vital to credentials if someone is to be excused his daily tantrums, especially when the campaign...

You see it this way. I see someone trying to share its experience and facing angry people interested only in complaining and extending their personal experience to a general rule.

You see it this way. I see someone trying to share its experience and facing angry people interested only in complaining and extending their personal experience to a general rule.

Pascal,

"Hate to say i told you so but Jack and I were at PMA and his comments went over like a lead balloon to the Leica folks at PMA that were running the Leica booth . I knew right there he was toast."

I see this as pure ego and his gobby criticisms FOLLOWING the departure of Stephen Lee are not nice at all. If Lee would ever have asked for a meeting and was still in situ, I suspect he'd be blowing a trumpet, not dancing on a grave.

Rolo

Maybe but even so, you cannot judge someone on 1 sentence. I'm not saying Guy is perfect because nobody is (even me :-)

All I'm saying is that he made useful contributions and a lot of people harassing him cannot say the same.

........... is perfect because nobody is (even me :-)

Now, that is ignoring the truth !!

Pascal, you are as near to Imants as it's possible to get, and that's perfection.

:D

Respect, man.

Rolo

Somehow I don't see making predictions which all turn out to be bull-shit, dissing folks who actually do know what they are talking about and repeatedly being very wise after the event constitute any "credentials" at all.

Guest Ridder Cornelius

Hello again,

Please let me get the following cleared

The “Old Fart” stuff as it stands is indeed uncalled for, I didn’t mean it in a personal manner, or actually directed at one or any number of forumists here. I was merely trying to formulate an image of the two old Muppet guys on the balcony, again nothing bad or personal intended, so if any of you feel personally “effected” by this, I’m genuinely sorry for it was not my intention.