EBAY hijacker at large ... BEWARE

jackal

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is also a noctilux for sale on ebay which ends in about an hour that looks suspicious: no picture of the lens, no serial number given, no refund allowed, broken english used in the description etc etc. The seller asks for your email address to send photos of the lens but he wont just add them on the ebay sight.... I asked the seller if this was a scam sale and ofcourse I have gotten no response.

Maybe its a legitimate sale but it does raise some of the flags that we are talking about.

ken

There is also a noctilux for sale on ebay which ends in about an hour that looks suspicious: no picture of the lens, no serial number given, no refund allowed, broken english used in the description etc etc. The seller asks for your email address to send photos of the lens but he wont just add them on the ebay sight.... I asked the seller if this was a scam sale and ofcourse I have gotten no response.

Maybe its a legitimate sale but it does raise some of the flags that we are talking about.

ken

A good test is to ask a few normal questions and wait for a response. Sometimes I ask if I could contact the seller by phone. If you can not communicate with the seller than its better to pass on the bid.

Listing number 220213258579: M6TTL Millennium kit (body + 2 lenses), item said to be in Laudenbach, Austria; seller registered in Germany, bank transfer only, 3 day auction - looks hooky to me but there are 5 bids already...

Paul,

I agree - this has all the smell of a hi-jacked account by the same criminal - expensive Leica item with plausible photos (probably copied off a genuine sale item), German eBay account with very little recent activity, price in £stg, bank transfer only and item located in Austria. I am sick of trying to do eBay's work for them and police their site. After I reported the last fake sale, it took them over a day to take the sale down. Well spotted!

Wilson

Unfortunately, A Phrase From Law School Is Still Appropriate When Conducting Commerce Over The Internet.....".caveat Emptor ".....let The Buyer Beware !!!! It Does Help Us All To Report Any And All Questionable "offers " Out There. Lets Keep It Up So That One Of Us Does Not Fall Prey To These Idiots.

The name fits the "kontonummer". The address doesn't, that's what the people at the Post Sparkasse told me. I requested my bank to ask for a reverse transaction, but the receiver has to agree. So no chance I think.

Hi there,

I've just registered just to say that I was cheated as well by the same guy, same name, same bank details. I've also taken measures with my bank and I am just waiting now.

I am gutted but then again I should have been more careful. :(

Paul,

I agree - this has all the smell of a hi-jacked account by the same criminal - expensive Leica item with plausible photos (probably copied off a genuine sale item), German eBay account with very little recent activity, price in £stg, bank transfer only and item located in Austria. I am sick of trying to do eBay's work for them and police their site. After I reported the last fake sale, it took them over a day to take the sale down. Well spotted!

Wilson

They keep on coming.

Now there's auction number 280209564537, which even uses the same photos of the goods as the last one I mentioned. Austria is awash with mint and boxed Millennium edition M6TTLs.

I have just spoken to a friend who is a UK prosecutor. He says there is a department of the Austrian Police called the ACIS, who deal with cross border criminal activity. They have a single point of contact office (SPOC) for people to contact with information of cross border criminal activity, which obviously this is. Perhaps one of our Austrian forum members can post the contact details for this office, which I would guess are posted on an Austrian Government or Police website. Then any of the forum members, who have suffered at the hands of these rip off merchants, would be able to contact the ACIS, who might take more notice of it, than a local police force.

Wilson

Guest rweisz
I'm just a bit sensitized to this because an American store refused my Amex card as "Non-American" .......

It isn't fair to blame the store. A lot of the companies that process credit cards for merchants charge a hefty surcharge for transactions on foreign cards (yea, even Amex), which is sometimes tripple what the store pays for US cards. However stores should state flatly if they accept international business that they don't take foreign credit cards.