EBAY hijacker at large ... BEWARE

jackal

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I planned to go to my local police. I wouldn't know how to contact the Austrian police.

Maarten,

You could also contact your local MEP (Member of the European Parliament) and ask him to take it up with one of his Austrian colleagues. After all we pay these MEP's and it is not as if they have anything useful to do the rest of the day.

Wilson

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maarten,

You could also contact your local MEP (Member of the European Parliament) and ask him to take it up with one of his Austrian colleagues. After all we pay these MEP's and it is not as if they have anything useful to do the rest of the day.

Wilson

Thanks, Wilson. I'll add that to my list. It's a good idea that this kind of crime is on the agenda for the EP. I also plan to contact dutch consumer organizations because eBay is not doing anything about it. Just some default answers.

I do know that the name of Johannes Nepp is the real name of the accountholder I send the money to. I called the bank in Austria and they confirmed this. EBays still has this guy listed with other items.

How stupid (and greedy) can one be....

Maarten

...N-e-p-p !!..:eek: ...that means "swindler" in german language..:o

..and he ist still listed by ebay?!?..:eek: ....ebay is "blind" if they can make money...:mad:

regards,

Jan

I just read this message too late.... I'm ashamed to say I fell for the nice Noctilux at a nice price. Although I had my doubts some signs were good. I just should have listened to my feelings a little better. Expensive lesson.

I do know that the name of Johannes Nepp is the real name of the accountholder I send the money to. I called the bank in Austria and they confirmed this. EBays still has this guy listed with other items.

How stupid (and greedy) can one be....

Maarten

Hello,

Has anyone noticed that "Nepp" is German slang for a somebody who is a cheat or a fraud?

I suppose anyone can register a bank account under an assumed name, but "Johannes Nepp" seems a bit strange for an Austrian Bank that deals in the German language.

Teddy

Hello,

Has anyone noticed that "Nepp" is German slang for a somebody who is a cheat or a fraud?

I suppose anyone can register a bank account under an assumed name, but "Johannes Nepp" seems a bit strange for an Austrian Bank that deals in the German language.

Teddy

I checked with the bank. These are his details (or at least what he tells me). I added some signs to his name so Google is not going to find it, I hope:

Jo-ha-nnes N-ep#p

Gudrunstr 143/2

1100 Wien

Tel/Fax 0125330337164

Österreichisches Post Sparkasse

BLZ: 60000

Kontonummer: 10410033327

Bic: OPSKATWW

IBAN: AT456000010410033327

The name fits the "kontonummer". The address doesn't, that's what the people at the Post Sparkasse told me. I requested my bank to ask for a reverse transaction, but the receiver has to agree. So no chance I think.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

damm, sorry to hear other people have been had as well

some more news, these people have set up a 'webshop' as well, presumably to evoke more authenticity and open up the possibility of fraud extraneous to ebay:

http://www.photogear-at.com

I was offered this service after the 'M7 with Summicron and Elmar Lens' got pulled yesterday:

'Hello,

Yes, our website address is http://www.photogear-at.com

We have some email problems but i will ask the sales department to email you tomorrow after we place the camera on the website.

Thank you.'

They may also be into hasselblad this is another suspicious item

number: 17020109357

Hasselblad 503CW Gold Supreme Edition

Only attracted one bid (so far) so maybe people are catching on.

Looking at the feedback (all buying - no selling), I would guess this may be hi-jacked ID yet again. It really is time that eBay started to get a handle on this.

Wilson

Do all Austrian e-bayer have the same password ?

I don't want to try and I also don't want to instruct others but how easy is it to hijack an account ?

Very easy indeed to have your account hijacked if you are sufficiently uninformed to fall for the pishing emails that are sent out by the scammers asking you to update or confirm your eBay details. I receive at least three or more of these a day. Unfortunately much of the blame can be laid at Microsoft's door where Outlook Express and Internet Explorer can display a link that looks like a valid eBay site but directs you to another under control of the scammer or their operatives. That's why it pays you to always mouse over a link and look at it's properties. In the latest emails I've received you have to look at the links very carefully to see that they're false - they're getting much more sophisticated.

For example:

https://signin.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?SignIn

points to htttp://I_am_a_scammer.com where "I" will collect your eBay user ID and password on the fake login form which looks identical to the real one. After you've provided "me" with your details I'll direct you to the real eBay site so you're unlikely to realise anything's wrong.

Bob.

Do all Austrian e-bayer have the same password ?

I don't want to try and I also don't want to instruct others but how easy is it to hijack an account ?

can only be done via phishing emails AFAIK

there is no such thing as a piece of software that tries to login thousands of times using different passwords

phishing is emails that get you to enter your password in what looks like a proper ebay page

some of these are highly sophisticated

I have even seen ones that place an HTML 'layer" perfcetly over the url box so it looks like you are on the proper url but actually its just a superimposed jepg of a url

can only be done via phishing emails AFAIK

Looks like on some eB pages bad Java scripts (EDIT: sorry, it's a Flash script actually) could get a lot of infos about the one who looks on it.

If you read German, here are some papers from today about it

Sueddeutsche Zeitung.de

SPIEGEL ONLINE

and eB do nothing, since 3 month they are informed about, against it.

..........................I have even seen ones that place an HTML 'layer" perfcetly over the url box so it looks like you are on the proper url but actually its just a superimposed jepg of a url

Yes, I've seen similar. That's why its important to right click on a link and read it's properties in a non graphics window :mad: .

Bob.

Guest tvleeskr
damm, sorry to hear other people have been had as well

some more news, these people have set up a 'webshop' as well, presumably to evoke more authenticity and open up the possibility of fraud extraneous to ebay:

www.photogear-at.com

I was offered this service after the 'M7 with Summicron and Elmar Lens' got pulled yesterday:

'Hello,

Yes, our website address is www.photogear-at.com

We have some email problems but i will ask the sales department to email you tomorrow after we place the camera on the website.

Thank you.'

They hijacked the address of this hotel:

Jausenstation Gallbrunn

Mr. Karl Aigner

Schweizersberg 18

4575 Roßleithen, Austria

hasn't anyone got any connections with the police

with our combined research and evidence surely something could be done ?

From my experience of a couple of weeks ago, when I found that someone had hi-jacked my address, was opening multiple bank accounts and applying for credit cards (they try and intercept the letters in the postal system before they reach the end address), the police are just not very interested. It is obviously much easier to hand out speeding tickets and go to conferences. I was also surprised a) how difficult it was was to contact the correct departments at the various banks, for which paperwork had actually arrived at my house and B) what a casual attitude they took about the whole thing. I will not be amused if bailiffs turn up at my house demanding payment of credit cards which are nothing to do with me. The banks are really to blame as they still seem to be giving away credit cards without making any real checks on identity.

The Austrian government makes plenty of money from their PostBank and I would doubt if they would want to kill the golden goose by getting too fussy about the type of customers they have. The Austrian police may well be discouraged from investigating too deeply. Me cynical? - not a lot!

Wilson