EBAY hijacker at large ... BEWARE

jackal

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just a bit sensitized to this because an American store refused my Amex card as "Non-American" .......

Jaap, in the U.S. there are plenty of stores that will refuse an Amex card whether or not you're an American. If you've ever done any retail you'll understand why.

i think item nr. 110231793804 is the same hijacker. A nice M7 with 75 apo-summicron and 50 elmar.

Guy answers with 2 different e-mail adresses (one is a gmx.at address with the surname nepp) not corresponding to the sellers name. Sells in £ from austria.

Unless he is using an anonymous emailer service, he can be back-tracked through his email. I really don't know why eBay does not cooperate more with the Police to track these fraudsters down. They must be losing business through them and the fear of dealing that they generate.

Wilson

Jaap, in the U.S. there are plenty of stores that will refuse an Amex card whether or not you're an American. If you've ever done any retail you'll understand why.
VISA too.....I'm used to AMEX being refused on grounds that they are slow paying.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

i think item nr. 110231793804 is the same hijacker. A nice M7 with 75 apo-summicron and 50 elmar.

Guy answers with 2 different e-mail adresses (one is a gmx.at address with the surname nepp) not corresponding to the sellers name. Sells in £ from austria.

yep, the gmx.at email account is a real giveaway

there is a noctilux on there as well that is also suspect

this guy is prolific

Johannes Nepp is the name on teh original 2 auctions and also his bank name could well be andreas distel, do not go near this person

I have never noticed AMEX as a slow payer, but they do take a pretty high commission. ~4% compared to VISA and Marstercards 1,5%. Atleast over here.

Then again, I like AMEX :D

With bank cards like Visa and Master Card the money's in your bank account by the end of the day. Amex doesn't pay until the end of the month and, as you said, they take a whopping commission. An awful lot of retail companies in the U.S. won't touch that card. My wife had a gallery for ten years. After about the first three, she dropped Amex, as did a number of retail outfits near her.

With bank cards like Visa and Master Card the money's in your bank account by the end of the day. Amex doesn't pay until the end of the month and, as you said, they take a whopping commission. An awful lot of retail companies in the U.S. won't touch that card. My wife had a gallery for ten years. After about the first three, she dropped Amex, as did a number of retail outfits near her.

OK, this seems to vary alot between countries.

Visa Mastercard and AMEX takes around 2-3days to finalise the transactions to my account, bankcards are transferred the following morning.

So over here, it's only the high commission that is bad.

Diners Club is even worse.

OK, this seems to vary alot between countries.

Visa Mastercard and AMEX takes around 2-3days to finalise the transactions to my account, bankcards are transferred the following morning.

So over here, it's only the high commission that is bad.

Diners Club is even worse.

Well, it's been a while. Amex may have moved things up in the U.S. I haven't checked lately. Out of curiousity I will. In any case, 2-3 days is 2-3 days longer than same day.

Because Amex is able to match buyer and card number, something Visa and Mastercard can't, because they are given out by individual banks and not, as Amex, from a central organisation.

This is quite important in online transactions - because of that, Visa started the program Jaap mentioned (3D).

I'm using Amex since 13 years now - so far, I am very satisfied with their service.

Can't complain much about Visa and Mastercard either, but Amex was so far always able to go the extra mile.

Once you receive a call from Amex on your cell while being on the other side of the world, asking if the various transactions in various countries of the last couple of days were in order and done by me, you get a feeling that translates to "safe" :)

Why, exactly is AMEX a very good card if a lot of merchants won't accept it?

Well in Finland it works on 90% of the shops I use.

In the US, atleast from my travels, I still haven't found a shop that wouldn't take AMEX.

The card has too many benefits to list. (Platinum Amex)

I also was offered a bogus second chance offer on a Noctilux that I was outbid on. The offer had some details about it that made me suspicious, so I reported it to Ebay and it was removed promptly, but the moral of the story is to be very careful with Ebay deals-especially on high value items.

I just read this message too late.... I'm ashamed to say I fell for the nice Noctilux at a nice price. Although I had my doubts some signs were good. I just should have listened to my feelings a little better. Expensive lesson.

I do know that the name of Johannes Nepp is the real name of the accountholder I send the money to. I called the bank in Austria and they confirmed this. EBays still has this guy listed with other items.

How stupid (and greedy) can one be....

Maarten

I also was offered a bogus second chance offer on a Noctilux that I was outbid on. The offer had some details about it that made me suspicious, so I reported it to Ebay and it was removed promptly, but the moral of the story is to be very careful with Ebay deals-especially on high value items.

..If I'm not shure, I ask for looking at the item (oversea a friend!..;) )....and if he (she) has a problem with that...:rolleyes: ...

regards,

Jan