Mr Kaufmann interview

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My impression is that before M8, the service problem was almost irrilevant because the autorhised labs were able to make most of the "standard/trivial" tasks : shutter/RF adjusting (even the meter of the CL, for my exp.) and they were many (in Italy only, 4 or 5, all good) and friendly to deal with (but I must point that my experience is limited to RFs... nothing about SLRs) : the direct involvement of "THE FACTORY" was regarded as a sort of "extreme measure"... with M8 this has dramatically changed, added to the "focus issues" emerged with M8: my impression (based on posts hereby, no direct deal with Solms, until now...:o ) is they didn't evaluate the potential problem in advance , are a tight-resource company, stresses emerged, so as complaints.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My impression is that before M8, the service problem was almost irrilevant because the autorhised labs were able to make most of the "standard/trivial" tasks : shutter/RF adjusting (even the meter of the CL, for my exp.) and they were many (in Italy only, 4 or 5, all good) and friendly to deal with (but I must point that my experience is limited to RFs... nothing about SLRs) : the direct involvement of "THE FACTORY" was regarded as a sort of "extreme measure"... with M8 this has dramatically changed, added to the "focus issues" emerged with M8: my impression (based on posts hereby, no direct deal with Solms, until now...:o ) is they didn't evaluate the potential problem in advance , are a tight-resource company, stresses emerged, so as complaints.

That is not completely correct, Luigi. For instance all apo lenses had to be sent to Solms all along. R8 and R9 and major repairs to the M series too. But you are right that there are more problems in the last three years. Overstressed? Possibly....

The M8's arrival has to some extent also coincided with the ability of owners to communicate via web forums and learn far faster just what areas of its performance are of concern, and consequently to both check these and discuss them. My guess is that this may well mean that any camera problems are identified far more quickly and efficiently than would be the case with a film based camera, with obvious consequences for Leica. I have little direct experience of Leica's service departments (and what I have is positive) but I am sure that Leica are well aware that they have to raise their game here, even if nothing has actually changed other than the ability to discuss things on web forums!

As someone who eagerly awaited the arrival of a digital M, I am well aware of the pressure that Leica must have felt under to produce one and am far from surprised that there have been some 'issues'. However I think that the way forward (even in this forum) is to support Leica by offering constructive commentary rather than simply decrying the current position, although I am not in favour of ignoring problems.

I want to see the M series continue forward and thought that the interview was as balanced a one as it is likely we will get.