The M8 puzzle game

cboudier

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The image counter is on the left.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, LCT. Wonder if it might "double" as an ISO readout when one pressed the correct button - but probably not.

Wonder how much a collector will pay to possess "Ur-M8 No. N000010"?

Think Leica will sell the 'beta-test' cameras with little flags engraved on the top, as they did with the M7?

What looks like additional (7) electronic contacts on the flash shoe look interesting. Would these be for a new flash unit or maybe an interface with the new Aux finder?

The eyepiece looks to be the same size as an M6 when compared to the flash shoe width.

Bob

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Comapedrosa

Et voilà, je suis fou amoureux! Je maintiens mon appel: qui voudrait bien me léguer $10,000 pour que je puisse enfin dormir en paix?

Tss, tss... Ces transports ne sont pas bons pour la santé. Mieux vaudrait que la somme ainsi touchée serve à une bonne action... au hasard: faites-moi donc parvenir, dès que possible, le M8 et un Nocti de derrière les fagots. Je vous assure, fol amoureux, que vous vous sentirez mieux et que, aspect non négligeable de la question, la raison guidera mes prises de vue.

Gérald

Most likely the hot shoe is a Metz SCA3502, same as most other Leicas that can communicate with a flash, TTL or GNC.

The contacts also seem to be in the same locations as for the SF24D. So it looks as if whatever flash we're using now will be happy on this fat mama!

--HC

Surprises me the right hand end is semi-circular but the left hand end has that notch. Can't be right surely. The contact guides at the rear of the hot-shoe look odd as well. I'd also expect to see some strap protector pads above the strap lugs which would show up on the top view pictures.

This could well be a hoax...

The ridged thing at the bottom of the flash shoe is a plastic ramp with troughs in it to guide the contacts on the flash as it is mounted. They are present on the current M7 in identical form. 4 contacts (the 2 on the right in line with each other) = 3 troughs.

The notch in the curve at top left is due to the square boxy molding or decoration, across the front face of the camera surrounding the viewfinder windows, that has been on every M since the M2. It's simply a bit more obvious now that there is no bent metal on the end to allow for a rewind knob/crank.

The strap protectors are hidden by perspective in this overhead picture (as are the 1-2 mm or so of the strap lugs closest to the body) - just as window washers hanging on the side of a building would be invisible to someone in a helicopter hovering over the center of the roof (except perhaps at space-shuttle altitudes).

Quick-and-dirty shots of my M4-2 and an M7 brochure to show that none of this is mysterious.

The viewfinder is framed by an extended box that does not connect flush to the curvature of the ends - there is a step.

The plastic protectors are shallow and hidden by the "horizon" of the camera's top edge when the point of view (the lens making these shots of the M8) is centered over the camera top plate. In fact in my shots the lugs themselves are mostly hidden.

The M8 hot shoe is (visually) identical to the M7 shoe - same 4 contacts, same serrations at the back.

If we're going to read the tea leaves - we need to check images of existing cameras (available on Leica's web site) first to make sure we aren't drinking coffee.

The contacts also seem to be in the same locations as for the SF24D. So it looks as if whatever flash we're using now will be happy on this fat mama!

--HC

That'd be nice -- but with Nikon, even though the flashes had the same physical contact placement, there was something different in the timing, and you had to buy the DX (digital) version of the flash; the film version would not work. I don't know if that's true with all digitals.

Who said Leica's are made by Pana?

BTW, a guy who saw it at the Photojournalist festival in Perpignan confirms that it looks exactly like the pictures on the "puzzle" site.

He also confirms the "cheap" 28/2.8 ASPH and a new tri-elmar, says that the M8 handles exactly like the M7 (as expected) . According to Leica, the M8 is not noisier than the M7 in dB but the sound is more high-pitched and longer.

Guest guy_mancuso

Still no ISO button visible yet

Andy it will be in the menu items under the command control I am betting. Okay i want the front left side. PC outlet and maybe my exposure compensation button that I am looking for and should be somewhere

BTW, a guy who saw it at the Photojournalist festival in Perpignan confirms that it looks exactly like the pictures on the "puzzle" site.

He also confirms the "cheap" 28/2.8 ASPH and a new tri-elmar, says that the M8 handles exactly like the M7 (as expected) . According to Leica, the M8 is not noisier than the M7 in dB but the sound is more high-pitched and longer.

How is the 28/2,8 ASPH (handling, dimensions, performance...)?