'cron 75 apo asph

fursan

Sorry Chuck, but I totally disagree with what you say. There are times when a 75mm can be used for a landscape shot and getting closer would give a totally different perspective.

Photographic 'rules' are really just suggestions IMHO. Restrictive conservatism in any art form is a negative influence - again just my opinion.

A couple of example from the last few weeks, both taken with a 75mm Summicron...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

how does this perform for landscapes..i love it at wide apertures, but have not tested it

for distant vistas closed down. this or the 90/2.8?

thanks.

A slight telephoto in landscape work is very exciting.

It depends ,of course, on how you view the world in front of you.

How much of the 180 degrees in front of you you pay attention to.

For some people a 21mm lens is normal, for others a 50, and so on.

I vote for the 75 for landscape work.

It's a great lens.

I had one, but could not get used to the picture corner framing in the M. I hated the framing. I don't miss it. What I do miss is having the natural compliment to a 35 lens to travel with.

my 2 cents

Rafael

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Steve, no doubt about it, perspective does change. No argument here in this context. Excellent examples, BTW. Once upon a time I bought a 300 mm for a 20D Canon thinking I could capture what was going on in my mind relative to perspective in the mountains of Colorado. Gave up, sold the 300, never looked back.

If you want the subject larger - get closer.

Chuck - here are two photos that I believe qualify as landscapes -- one of Taktsang Monastery in Bhutan, the other of the Grand Canyon -- neither of which could I have gotten closer at that moment, both taken with the 75 'cron. The 75 'Cron is a glorious lens, one of the very best. JB

Hi Alwyn, yes I was. I'd gone to Morecambe to see if the work on the Midland hotel was finished - it isn't as I'm sure you know - and then drove up the cost to Silverdale and Arnside. It was the first time I'd been to Arnside and it's somewhere I'd like to revisit.

Think of landscapes with telephotos as extractive landscapes: reaching out to see a part of a scene. I have shot many landscapes with 300 and 500mm lenses, and even use polarizing filters with them. This in no way diminishes the use of wide angles, it is just another perspective. DR

To further the discussion of telephotos being used for landscapes, I offer these two photos, both taken with a 500mm lens. DR

I find the sharpness of the 75 cron ASPH quite amazing and particularly useful for landscapes, or seascapes for that matter. :)

Guest rweisz
There is nothing new to landscapes with longer focal lenghts. It is not for nothing that Leica built the 105 mm Mountain Elmar back in the thirties.

I always thought it was called that because of it's shape like a mountain peak. Or were you just making a joke.

There is nothing new to landscapes with longer focal lenghts. It is not for nothing that Leica built the 105 mm Mountain Elmar back in the thirties.

...sorry, I cannot resist when I see a quote of the Alpine... mine is TOO NICE !!! :)