One Hour with a M8

Nick De Marco

Advertisement (gone after registration)

thanks to laki and ken - confusion over!

nick - if you're keeping some sharp leica glass, you're obviously not going too far away from the forum mainstream. i predict (drum roll) you'll be back in full strength very soon. leica has already predicted a slight upswing in future quarterly results to reflect this. :)

see u soon!

rick

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Holmz,

Your’s is a very nice picture, and with a square crop I like it better (I started with a Rollei TLR many years ago, and crop accordingly a lot of my pictures). Besides that, I adjusted in Levels the overall green cast seen on my monitor, which affected particularly the girl’s fair hair. My wife is also a true blonde and I live with the problem on a daily basis...

Max

Yeah I like the square crop...

Adjusted the tint and raise the color temp from 2900 to 3100.

But how does one get this right?

Maybe I should shoot a white card, but there was moonlight, incandescent and neons all in the area ???

To adjust the colors, I used Levels in PS. The procedure is described in many books, and boils down to the following:

The Levels tool has 3 pipettes, from left to right: black, grey midtones, whites.

The idea is to find appropriate sampling points in the picture. Also, in PS, make sure that the sampling pipette size is adjusted to 3x3 px.

The correct sampling sequence is: Whites, Blacks, and finally Gray midtones.

White & Black are useful to extend the dynamic range of the picture, giving it true whites and blacks. The Gray midtone pipette is the primary tool for a correct color rendition. And the monitor should be calibrated!

The sampling points I used in your picture:

White pipette: the girl’s blouse near her chin.

Black pipette: the bottom of the bottle in her right hand.

Gray pipette (the most important): I sampled several points on the boy’s cap, until I reached a color which gave the girl a nice honey blond hair.

I also pulled the middle Input level slider a little to the left in order to bring-up the light level.

In other words, there is no need to adjust the color temp. With the frequent mix of tungsten and fluorescent lights, it most often does not give good results per se since it works only on the tungsten component. The green cast is most probably the result of a fluorescent light somewhere in the room.

When I process DNG files (in PO 4.5), I don’t even look at the color temp figure, but immediately sample around the picture to find a satisfactory gray point.

Max

To adjust the colors, I used Levels in PS. The procedure is described in many books, and boils down to the following:

Max

I am new into digital - so this is helping me a lot.

I am using the Capture1 and I see the three pipettes.

Which book (of your aforementioned many books) would you recommend that I start with?

My bedside book is “Photoshop Artistry for Photographers Using Photoshop CS2 and Beyond” by Barry Haynes (http://www.barryhaynes.com).

You’ll find it at Amazon for a reasonable price. It is up to date with CS2, but for all the basics of creating a master image it is unequaled in my opinion. Rather than extensively covering all the PS features, it is based on concrete examples covering all the situations the average photographer is confronted to. It is based on a teaching program Barry Haynes conducts.