Nick De Marco

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Robert Belasario
How it comes that you think your taste and opinion are facts?

ooooohhh .... prime time hey?

Actually I don't, I have eyes, thoughts, a brain, I take picures, sometimes even make pictures, I know what I like like, I have no clue on what is good or not but in this case I have the arrogancy to refer to these pictures as not good.... and this based upon the above.

Please note the following: The fact that I think these pictures aren't any good doesn't imply that you must find that they are not good, It is just my personal judgement based on the perhaps limited qualities I have, which you must agree I am allowed to present here. I certainly do not claim that my thoughts towards these pictures must be a general Fact .... I just dislike them, not even dislike them, I just think they don't do justice to the qualities of an M8 camera thats all... at least my taste and opinion are actually my own, which I think for me is a good thing no?

:-)

ooooohhh .... prime time hey?

Actually I don't, I have eyes, thoughts, a brain, I take picures, sometimes even make pictures, I know what I like like, I have no clue on what is good or not but in this case I have the arrogancy to refer to these pictures as not good.... and this based upon the above.

Please note the following: The fact that I think these pictures aren't any good doesn't imply that you must find that they are not good, It is just my personal judgement based on the perhaps limited qualities I have, which you must agree I am allowed to present here. I certainly do not claim that my thoughts towards these pictures must be a general Fact .... I just dislike them, not even dislike them, I just think they don't do justice to the qualities of an M8 camera thats all... at least my taste and opinion are actually my own, which I think for me is a good thing no?

:-)

I see I see ;)

Thanks for the comments

I am pretty sure I will be buying one - can't wait - just got to get the right price.

Holmz - i can see why you don't like the second shot. It is low light and - because of the wind and the woman running back and forth across the road - out of focus even on the subject. that is my fault not the M8. However, personally i still like it because of the bokeh and colour rendering which creates a look that a associate more with my film Leica experience than with my DSLR. And it feels 'real' if you know what I mean.

I love the second shot!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Nick

I would much rather see a 'technically imperfect' shot which evokes the ambience of the captured moment than a bland but technical perfect shot. Your London Street scene reminded me very much of my student days (when I actually worked at R G Lewis - then on High Holborn) and IS evocative. Clearly it is an image that you liked too and, unless you are shooting for a specific purpose with a distinct aimpoint, this is what matters in an image - if the photographer likes it then it is a succesful image.

I have just finished Day 2... but thought I ought to move it to the photo forum so please follow the link:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/other/47463-leica-m8-first-7-days.html

Robert's welcome to post his photos there too, and all of your comments are always welcome - whether positive or negative. It's the first week using this camera so I'm keen to receive any feedback.

• 7 months later...
Holmz - i can see why you don't like the second shot. It is low light and - because of the wind and the woman running back and forth across the road - out of focus even on the subject. that is my fault not the M8. However, personally i still like it because of the bokeh and colour rendering which creates a look that a associate more with my film Leica experience than with my DSLR. And it feels 'real' if you know what I mean.

Well I don't now about feeling real...

But I got an M8 a few weeks back.

Here is one from night #2 - lots of motion except for the bear bottle on the lower left.

Hand-held 28mm/F2 @ 1/15 (for some reason it says 1/16th for the speed in C1 ??? - dunnno why though...)

(What settings do I use to save these pictures off for posting (JPEG-?etc ?)

My favorite thing I heard was "Dude your camera is ancient, you should get one with a built-in flash."

Black tape over the M8 and red dot...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I advise you to go for the 8.2.

Framing is far more accurate, and, for a street shooter, the discrete mode is very useful as you can get closer to your subjects.

Leica and wide angle lenses is all about being in the middle of the scene.

Hi Holmz,

Your’s is a very nice picture, and with a square crop I like it better (I started with a Rollei TLR many years ago, and crop accordingly a lot of my pictures). Besides that, I adjusted in Levels the overall green cast seen on my monitor, which affected particularly the girl’s fair hair. My wife is also a true blonde and I live with the problem on a daily basis...

Max

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thanks for the comments

I am pretty sure I will be buying one - can't wait - just got to get the right price.

I find the second shot very evocative of London; I like it better than the upper shot with which there is nothing to complain about.

Leica M8 is a damn difficult camera to work with and that's why i love it so much, because it always challenges me.

Nick, there are a lot of hot shots here that happen to never miss a single picture. I miss a lot but get a lot of nice pictures also. I'm quite new to manual photography, but that's the great thing with it, it is not an auto-everithing compact camera thus sometimes you miss some.

So use your new M8, have a great fun and don't mind the missed pictures.

I'll second that Enrico. With the M8 you have to have an understanding of the basics of photography and to think more when taking pictures. I think it's being forced to 'think' that produces superior images (not to mention the Leica glass) and increases the self satisfaction.

Having said that the M8 isn't the total answer to every maidens prayer. I use a Nikon system for wildlife, which I happen to think is brilliant. I don't however get as much satisfaction from using it as I do with the M8, as I rattle shots off with the D2x and play the percentage game.

Cheers, Tom

Photography by Tom Lane

i'm confused (not a new situation :D). this thread seems to jump from february or march 08 to today

and

it looks like nick is offering an m8 and 3 M lenses for sale in the buy&sell section.

unrelated?, or a logical explanation i've overlooked?

cheers

rick

i'm confused (not a new situation :D). this thread seems to jump from february or march 08 to today

and

it looks like nick is offering an m8 and 3 M lenses for sale in the buy&sell section.

unrelated?, or a logical explanation i've overlooked?

cheers

rick

no need to be confused :D people seem to dig out old threads and dont pay attention to dates.

here some explanation for nicks sell out http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/67248-selling-out.html