patashnik

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No... and more's the pity.

First, this is not a knock against the M8, which I think makes incredible images under many conditions.

Rather, it is my honest reaction to the accelerating price inflation inLeica equipment. 18 months ago I I felt M8 to be a stretch at US $4500... but, at the same cost as a 1D, you could sort of justify it as a professional tool.

At the current price of US $5500 it just doesn't seem cost effective for professionals any longer (with all due respect to Guy). I had really hoped to see Leica get back in the game and break out of the "luxuy goods status symbol" ghetto.

I understand the currency problems with the US dollar, but if anyone is looking for a resason Leica's sales have fallen this year, this is the first obvious choice.

It's a shame, too. Many photojournalists used to carry an M film body as a backup to their SLRs or for special assignments where quiet, unobstrusive photography was required. Most editorial shooters I know just can't afford this stuff on the rates they get paid, and RF cameras have never been the domain of commercial shooters (again, with apologies to Guy).

Anyway, I hope Leica hangs in there and finds a way forward.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I own two, one of which I bought in February. So it might seem like my reply would be a resounding, "Yes".

But I would definitely not buy an M8 at the current suggested retail price of $5,500. As Gary remarked, that price is just far, far too crazy high for what the M8 represents in today's digital photography world. The rangefinder is fun but it's also quite a functionally limited camera ... which is why the single-lens reflex design obsoleted it nearly 40 years ago.

I recommend that those looking to get an M8 today have patience and keep their eyes peeled for Leica-reconditioned and Passport-warrantied units. I bought just such a unit for around $4,200 ($300 less than my original new 2007 M8) through Amazon. Even that price seems a stretch, but it was a real "value" in relative terms. (The camera arrived in new condition, btw. Not even a fingerprint.)

So yes, I enjoy using the M8 relatively frequently. But it's simply a miserable value proposition at current list prices.

Yes, I bought the first one on Nov. 9th 06 and a second one January 15/07. First one was replaced by Leica NJ because it was expected to take several months before they could address my M8 on the recall of the first 1500 or so (not many OEM would do that these days).

It is the only game in town - digital rangefinder.

It allows me to use the lenses from the days of my film Leica(s) and some of the best optics available.

The IQ is excellent and the firmware additions have made it better yet (AWB).

There is a good deal of third party support and after market enthusiasm for the M8, ranging from cases to lenses (Zeiss, CV, and a few others).

This forum and it's exceedingly knowledge membership, Tim our favorite inventor, Sean Reid, Jamie with an early-on software IR fix, Pascal for discovering the green blob, etc problem with in a few days of the M8 being released, the non stop evangelism and user support of Guy M. and Mark for his daring field strip down of the M8 and I could go on and on... but I check the forum every day.

It is an M camera with all the quirks and quarks of an M camera, with the addition of IR filters, a noisy shutter release, and framing that requires loving the Leica M.

It is a work in progress and a masterpiece all at the same time.

Best Regards. Terry

I have owned my M8 since Feb '07, had no problems that have been outlined in this and other forums. I bought the camera because of the compact size and great lenses. Having shot with Ms going on twenty years, the form factor is what tempted me, the image quality sold me. That said, I have been waiting for a digital M for a very long time. No product can match the size to image quality that the M8 represents.

At the current price of $5,500 I don't think I would purchase another body new. With digital prices always dropping like lead balloons I will wait a while and maybe pick up one used, or if rumors are true consider a Nikon or Zeiss RF.

Definitely no regrets, after 5 months without any problem at all. Should go for a noctilux, may be ? But I love the 28mm Asph. Summicron, even if I mainly use the 75mm.

Waiting patiently for a bigger sensor, and 16 MB file size, for the less, seems reasonable for the times coming....

No. I sold mine and would not buy another. I bought it with the intention of trying it for one year, and did so. But I just like an SLR (5D) -- AF, full frame, framing accuracy, long lenses, tilt-shift lenses, macro lenses.... It's so versatile.

The M8 files are great, no question. But for me it was never a question of which is better. We make too much of that, I think. Both are amazing, and we should all aspire to maximize the capacity of either. I could not justify two systems, so one had to go. And, honestly, with the overall system cost, price increase, the cost of upgrade, and who knows what else in the future, I was actually relieved to unload everything.

I must say, though, the M8 has changed the way I use an SLR. I'm now a Canon minimalist, and can't do those heavy zooms anymore. I'm hooked on the 5D / 50 1.4 combo. It keeps me moving and physically engaged with shooting, just as the M8 did.

John

I bought mine in November 2006, and I think I had one of the first in Toronto.

I would definitely buy it again. I'm a rangefinder guy; I truly prefer them in edge conditions to SLRs. And while I like my DMR / 5d very much (though not, I have to say, the 50 1.4 Canon EF), there is something so alluring about the M(8) experience that given the chance I prefer to use that whenever possible.

It's ergonomics are near perfect for me and the sheer quality of the files still impresses me (in fact, I keep finding things in the glass / sensor combo that amaze me still).

Now there are still artifacts with the M8 that work against it, but all in all, it's a superb camera, if you like rangefinders.

Guest guy_mancuso
No... and more's the pity.

First, this is not a knock against the M8, which I think makes incredible images under many conditions.

Rather, it is my honest reaction to the accelerating price inflation inLeica equipment. 18 months ago I I felt M8 to be a stretch at US $4500... but, at the same cost as a 1D, you could sort of justify it as a professional tool.

At the current price of US $5500 it just doesn't seem cost effective for professionals any longer (with all due respect to Guy). I had really hoped to see Leica get back in the game and break out of the "luxuy goods status symbol" ghetto.

I understand the currency problems with the US dollar, but if anyone is looking for a resason Leica's sales have fallen this year, this is the first obvious choice.

It's a shame, too. Many photojournalists used to carry an M film body as a backup to their SLRs or for special assignments where quiet, unobstrusive photography was required. Most editorial shooters I know just can't afford this stuff on the rates they get paid, and RF cameras have never been the domain of commercial shooters (again, with apologies to Guy).

Anyway, I hope Leica hangs in there and finds a way forward.

And you absolutely right Gary. The entry ticket for a working Pro is really at a loss. Let's face facts i have almost 30 k if not more in this system. Sorry folks for a Pro that is a crap load of money that could in a lot of cases be done with a cheaper system. I know that as well as anyone and most jobs do not require the best there is. Some due no question but I could do this on the cheap and still make clients happy . Let's face it I love the system but there are some real limitations and risks using a M8 as a Pro. I'm on the edge or feel like that sometimes. And Terri I am not as evangelist as you may think. Yes i love the M8 but show me something better and I will flip on a dime. I have done this several times. But in all fairness to myself, I do love the RF system and the M8 and I will work my tail off to make it work for me and for you guys also. I love the files and at this stage in the game after all these years I need to satisfy myself even before my clients and you know what yes I want the best and not afraid to say it .

Little story my wife in the past would buy knock off Prada bags on the streets in NY or other brands also and about two years ago she said to me , I am not doing this anymore .I work hard i am almost getting to 50 years old and screw it I deserve the real thing. You know what she is right. What the hell we killing ourselves working like a dog for. Screw it I am going to enjoy this Leica company of gear. I shot 30 years without it as a Pro because the money was too much . Not any more, I work to hard and deserve whatever nice gear I want. Call me a pig or a name tag person. The rich dentist I am not but screw it I will have nice files and the best gear I can get my hands on so damn the torpedoes.

So yes i would buy it again but I am getting some Nikon gear too and selling what Canon gear i have. i may be crazy but i am not a idiot either. But with all due respect to Leica i would not pay 5500 either. Too much , 4800 was my limit and that was what I paid. there are cost than there is going beyond the cost given the market and what else is out there. At some point logic has to come into this.

I don't understand the problems with $ 5500. That's cheap! :rolleyes: Maybe I should buy one in the States and get my ticket free! :p

The cheapest I could find here in the Netherlands is 4500 Euro's! Thats about $6750! :eek:

Now on a more serious tone. I don't understand why Leica is increasing the prices for the M8. They must be the first company to do so for a digital camera. I thought about buying another body, but I think I will stick with just one.

I agree with Guy and others here - I love my M8's and I've been happy to purchase two over the last year but $5500+ is basically reaching the point where price/performance falls apart. Similarly some of the current glass pricing has entered truly noise-bleed territory - I certainly wouldn't have my Noctilux or WATE if I were paying the current retail prices (and I didn't get them at 30% off either).

If I was not in a hurry I might try to find out if Leica might include the silent shutter in all new M8s. I know they said that they dont, but I find it very strange to produce a louder shutter if they know they can make it better in the first step.

At least I would goto my dealerand say:"Hey, I buy a M8, but only if Leica gives me the silent shutter for free or for a low rate"

If I was in a hurry I would buy a M8 anyways.

I did it December.

made an excellent deal by trading in an M6, an unused Wista SP and a dispised Ricoh GX100. I loved it ever since...

Ik got back a camera I carry 90% of the time, while my D200 will only come in special occasions, when I need the flexibillity, the AF and de zoom. It is as stated above, you simply do not want to carry the big reflex all the time. And all compacts I had in my hands simply didn't do it for me. The GX100 came close but the build and mainly image quality were terrible...

But I must say, for the more that 4000 euro it will cost over here I would have kept on dreaming about it and not buying it. For me was the good deal for the trade-in that made it possible...

@Boerma, try foto Henny Hoogeveen in noordwijk aan zee

I bought mine in January 07 and never regretted it. Would I still buy one today - absolutely, but not a new one, considering its list price. Times are actually very interesting to find demo M8s from reputable dealers at prices in the USD 4000 range (incl warranty). Not for the faint hearted, but recently more (mint) M8s seem to come to the market from people giving up on the RF system, at prices considerably below the 4k.

However, you will not be done with buying the camera. If you decide to get one, be prepared to spend more money for glass, much more.........

:)