Leica Newsletter - Upgrade revamped

Venkman

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

.... I'm really glad Pascal is finally is doing his best to obide to the statement of his thread "Making the forum more usefull" I see and realize he is doing his utmost .....

I must admit that in the past I might not have been all that liberal, but seeing that Pascal is well on his way, I shall do my utmost to comply..... what a revelation this is ....

He also has sense of humour and empathy, from time to time.

I'm not sure : a straight shock on the glass may break it.

If anything, I would update only the shutter — 800 € + 1 year

more warranty seems a good deal.

For the display,

the Zagg Shield suits me well.

Yeah, well I'm not sure I would pay the price for the "Glass" cover, it seems a bit overpriced, and a good LCD protection film, is a very cheap and durable option.

I'm not an expert on Sapphire glass in any way, but it's much more shock resistant than "glass". Sapphire glass is not made in the same way as "glass". Sapphire glass is made in the same way as a diamond, by high pressure/high temperature.

Synthetic Sapphire is according to the Mohs scale of hardness, 9. Diamond is 10. So Sapphire glass is indeed a VERY tough material.

WHY SAPPHIRE?

• Mechanically second only to diamond. One of the hardest and most scratch resistant materials

available. The high modulus of elasticity and high tensile strength make it extremely wear,

abrasion and impact resistant.

• Colorless optical characteristics are superior to any standard glass, with up to a 98.5%

transmission and a transmission window from 190 nanometers in the UV to 5 microns in the IR.

• No solarization in high-radiation systems.

• High dielectric constant and low loss tangent makes it a great electrical insulator and low

loss long wavelength window.

• Thermally very stable. Does not lose any of its mechanical and optical qualities from cryogenic

to over 2000C.

• Thermal conductivity greater than other optical materials and most dielectrics.

• No surface damage and devitrification due to extreme thermal cycling

• Does not sag or slump at very elevated temperatures.

• Highly corrosion resistant. More resistant to corrosive chemicals than most standard hard

materials available.

One question that hasn't been asked is does the sapphire cover need or have an anti-reflection coating? I ask because if it does the coating is unlikely to be as hard as the "glass" and may wear off or scratch with use. I've used other cameras where this has happened.

Bob.

One question that hasn't been asked is does the sapphire cover need or have an anti-reflection coating? I ask because if it does the coating is unlikely to be as hard as the "glass" and may wear off or scratch with use. I've used other cameras where this has happened.

Bob.

""Anti-reflective crystals can be made of either mineral glass or synthetic sapphire. One interesting feature of these crystals is that, viewed from the front, they are virtually invisible because they aren't reflecting any light. ""

Guest Cordell

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Bob.

Wristwatches with sapphire crystals don't all have antireflective coatings. Those that do, do scratch and wear off. Some of them are also coated on the inside, which isn't as effective but doesn't wear.

WHY SAPPHIRE?

• Mechanically second only to diamond. One of the hardest and most scratch resistant materials

available. The high modulus of elasticity and high tensile strength make it extremely wear,

abrasion and impact resistant.

• Colorless optical characteristics are superior to any standard glass, with up to a 98.5%

transmission and a transmission window from 190 nanometers in the UV to 5 microns in the IR.

• No solarization in high-radiation systems.

• High dielectric constant and low loss tangent makes it a great electrical insulator and low

loss long wavelength window.

• Thermally very stable. Does not lose any of its mechanical and optical qualities from cryogenic

to over 2000C.

• Thermal conductivity greater than other optical materials and most dielectrics.

• No surface damage and devitrification due to extreme thermal cycling

• Does not sag or slump at very elevated temperatures.

• Highly corrosion resistant. More resistant to corrosive chemicals than most standard hard

materials available.

This is good to know. When I'm next irradiated to 2000 degrees C, it will be some comfort that the sapphire glass in my M8 hasn't sagged or slumped (although the rest of the camera will presumably be somewhat melty / crispy by then).

The new rules do not explicitly mention that the overall check, exchange of worn parts and functional correction will still be included. This was expressively given as reason for pricing when the programm was first released. Though, with price for a saphire glass of 750 Euro one would expect that it still is.

I too would be happy to have some clarification on this. I was keen on my M8 getting the general health-check, particularly since it has a niggling little fault with its LCD (it pulses brighter then dimmer at 1sec intervals, all the time). I wanted to get this fixed and have Leica check for any other under-the-bonnet wear and tear. It would be a real shame if this part of the deal has evaporated. :(

This is good to know. When I'm next irradiated to 2000 degrees C, it will be some comfort that the sapphire glass in my M8 hasn't sagged or slumped (although the rest of the camera will presumably be somewhat melty / crispy by then).

...indeed, it's very comforting to know that, after updating my M8, the next time I'll take my weekly bath in hot lava I'll be able to take my camera with me :D

... The shutter upgrade (if you can call it that) is just the exchange of a spring, thats it, spring out, other spring in, upgrade of firmware .... bang the buck.

Makes an 750€ glass cover exchange seem reasonable ...... whahahahahahaha

I know I'm pulling this into ridicule .... but come on.... there as at least a bit of ridicule in all this or am I totally wrong.....

You got a source for the speculation that the shutter upgrade is just exchange of a spring? Or are you totally wrong?

Guest rweisz

My shutter became defective last Monday and needs to be replaced anyway, so I'm hoping Leica will let me have them just put in the slow/quieter shutter now rather than doing the same job twice and making me wait twice. As far as the LCD, I mostly use mine for the menues and only very occasionaly for a quick review, so it would have to get so scratched-up I could barely see thru it before I would care about replacing it, and then, not for what they want to charge. I cut one of my protectors for my Palm PDA to fit my M8 and so far even that has no scratches.

Cameras that have the optional screen or shutter installed are re-warrantied for a year. Which means any "upgraded" camera that develops a fault in that year (not due to user damage) will be a net expense to Leica as a free repair under the re-warranty.

Therefore I'd expect Leica to check everything at the time of the service, not for USERS' benefit, but to protect themselves from the expense of having to re-service the camera for free in the following 12 months.

The screen is likely relatively non-invasive - but a shutter replacement, which involves removing the sensor board and the shutter, means a full realignment of everything including the rangefinder anyway. It is practically impossible to replace an M8 shutter WITHOUT a full CLA.

The "spring-replacement" is a mostly unsubstatiated rumor based on some sloppy writing in Leica Fotographie International, that has grown due to forum members quoting one another rather than Leica itself.