in short:

- upgrades are available as single options

- no downpayment/certificates needed

Prices:

from 1120,- EUR Shutter and Sapphire glass

from 750,- EUR Sapphire glass solo

from 800,- EUR Shutter solo

[update]

Just ONE additional year of warranty, prices include VAT and may vary because of regional influences.

Will be carried out in Germany as well as in auhtoirzed service centers around the world (USA, Japan, Hong Kong and Korea).

Order for the upgrade can be placed through vendors as well.

Dirk

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and yes, good call if you ask me. Although still a bit higher priced than before?

Original text in german here:

Einzelne Optionen nachrüsten

Bisher waren das Saphirglas und der Verschluss nur im Paket geplant. Jetzt können diese beiden Optionen darüber hinaus auch einzeln nachgerüstet werden. Erhältlich sind die drei Umbauvarianten nun

- ab 1120,- EUR Verschluss und Saphirglas

- ab 750,- EUR Saphirglas einzeln

- ab 800,- EUR Verschluss einzeln

Die genannten Preise verstehen sich inkl. Mehrwertsteuer und gelten ab Werk Solms. Regionale Abweichungen von den Tarifen sind möglich. Die noch laufende Originalgarantie verlängert sich nach dem Umbau um ein weiteres Jahr.

Ab August 2008 starten

Neu ist, dass Sie die Optionen entweder über Ihren Leica-Händler oder direkt beim Leica Customer Service ab August 2008 in Auftrag geben können, Tel. +49(0)6442-208-165 oder -189, E-Mail M8.Support@leica-camera.com. Wichtig: Eine zusätzliche Vorregistrierung auf der Leica Camera AG Homepage ist nicht mehr erforderlich und der Kauf von Zertifikaten entfällt ebenfalls – der Auftrag wird wie eine gewöhnliche Serviceleistung gehandhabt. Die Zahlung erfolgt erst vor Rücksendung der Kamera.

Umbau in autorisierten LEICA M8 Service-Zentren

Wie geplant kann der Einbau des Saphirglases und des Verschlusses voraussichtlich ab August 2008 sowohl in Deutschland als auch (neu) in allen anderen autorisierten LEICA M8 Service-Zentren in den USA, Japan, Hong Kong und Korea durchgeführt werden. Bitte beachten Sie, dass die Einsendung der Kamera auf eigene Kosten erfolgt. Innerhalb der EU können Sie für die Umbauten gegen Aufpreis gerne unseren Schnell- und Express-Service in Anspruch nehmen.

Rechtzeitig werden wir noch einmal per Newsletter den Startschuss für den Service geben.

Sollten Sie vorab Fragen haben, wenden Sie sich gerne an Ihren Händler oder an unseren LEICA M8 Support. Alle neuen Informationen zum M8 Upgrade Service finden Sie auch hier.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Ihr Leica Internet-Team

Dirk

Probably as rational a way to go forward as possible, especially compared to what was proposed a few weeks ago. It will be interesting to see how the dealers will react? And, will there be a full-size sensor upgrade eventually? Not sure what else they could do beyond that to extend the life of the M8, other than fixing the framelines. Seems like they are moving to the middle--they may have felt they couldn't withdraw the offer altogether, but there were complaints about the high cost, so they came back with more options. Too bad the warranty is 50% (1 year) shorter.

One thing I will say on a very positive note: as one of the people who carped and moaned the most about the hideous M8 AWB, I am happy to report that the new firmware 1.201 or whatever it's called, is quite good. I am grateful for that long overdue advance.

Too bad the warranty is 50% (1 year) shorter.

That is not exactly correct - the original upgrade offer was to send the camera back with a renewed 2 year warranty - regardless of how long the original warranty was to remain.

So if you got your M8 in late 2006 (i.e. one of the very first in the market) and went for the old upgrade, you'd get just short of two extra years.

Assuming that the lion's share of M8s was sold during 2007, these would have had only one year extra (give or take).

On my book the new approach is much more straightforward.

Christian

Guest Cordell
from 750,- EUR Sapphire glass solo

ROFL!

Just ONE additional year of warranty

That detracts from the overall value of paying the prices. Bad decision IMHO.

Will be carried out in Germany as well as in auhtoirzed service centers around the world (USA, Japan, Hong Kong and Korea).

Will we be allowed to specify where we want ours carried out? Based on past experience I don't want NJ touching my M8's.

Order for the upgrade can be placed through vendors as well. (boldface added by me)

So, instead of cutting the dealers out of the action, now Leica is competing directly with them? Well at least we can dream that dealers might discount it lower than Leica's direct price.

Guest Cordell

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Assuming that the lion's share of M8s was sold during 2007, these would have had only one year extra (give or take).

Yes but there wasn't any rule that said you couldn't wait until your M8 warranty was at the end. The old way you would then get 2 yrs, this way you only get 1. Yep, it's straightfoward all right, I'll give you that. It's us customers that are bent over ;)

The full letter.

Dear LEICA M8 customers,

thank you very much for your positive reactions to our new M8 Upgrade Service we had introduced to you in our Newsletter four weeks ago. At the time, we had announced further information which is now following as promised.

Due to numerous suggestions you made we have revised the concept. Nothing has changed concerning the options – the scratch-proof sapphire glass cover for the LCD monitor and the noise-reduced shutter. We have just simplified the process for you. What’s new is:

Subjects

Upgrading of separate options

Upgrades will commence as of August 2008

Upgrades in authorized LEICA M8 Service Centers

Upgrading of separate options

It was planned to offer both options in one package, i.e. the sapphire glass cover together with the shutter. Now these options will also be available as separate upgrades. The three upgrade-options now available will cost:

- ex 1120,- EUR for both the shutter and the sapphire glass cover

- ex 750,- EUR for the sapphire glass cover only

- ex 800,- EUR for the shutter only

The stated prices include VAT and are valid ex Solms. Regional differences to these tariffs are possible. The camera’s warranty will be extended by another year after an upgrade.

Upgrades will commence as of August 2008

Also new is that you can commission the upgrades either through your Leica dealer or directly through the Leica Customer Service as of August 2008,

Tel.: +49-(0)6442-208 - 165 or - 189

E-Mail: m8.support@leica-camera.com

Important: Neither will an additional registration on the Leica Camera AG Homepage be necessary nor the acquisition of certificates – the order will be handled just like any other service commission. The payment will only be due before your camera is sent back to you.

Upgrades in authorized LEICA M8 Service Centers

As planned, fitting the sapphire glass cover and the shutter will presumably commence as of August 2008 in Germany, and it will also be possible (this is new) in all other authorized LEICA M8 Service Centers in the USA, Japan, Hong Kong, and Korea. Please observe that sending the camera to a Service Center is carried out at your own expense. Within the EU, you may call upon our Quick or Express Service for the upgrades.

We will inform you in due time in another Newsletter when the Upgrade Service is actually started.

Should you have any questions before that, please feel free to turn to your dealer or our LEICA M8 support. You will also find all new information concerning the M8 Upgrade Service here.

Yours Sincerely,

The Leica internet team

Yes but there wasn't any rule that said you couldn't wait until your M8 warranty was at the end. The old way you would then get 2 yrs, this way you only get 1. Yep, it's straightfoward all right, I'll give you that. It's us customers that are bent over ;)

Actually there was: The old rules said you have to buy a certificate in March and they'd assign a slot to you starting in August.

So no waiting until the warranty has ended...

Do the maths and it comes out like this:

- New Glass: €320

- New Shutter: €370

- Logistics/Labour/Warranty: €430

I'd rather see a little more on the Logistics/Labour/Warranty side - but generally this appears to be the direction.

Seems reasonable to me - at least for the shutter.

The glass I can't tell - haven't broken any of my sapphire glasses on my watches. But I hear they're freakin' expensive.

Christian

I believe that the original plan covered door to door shipping. I'm not being nit-picky, but I have already paid to have an M8 shipped off 3x. With insurance, that is no little sum.

I was also planning on the 2 year warranty as my warranty is up in November.

"Please observe that sending the camera to a Service Center is carried out at your own expense. Within the EU, you may call upon our Quick or Express Service for the upgrades."

Slowly, Solms is getting reasonable again. Too bad that they did not revamp their website, too. Regarding shipping costs: They should not be an issue when you commission your upgrade through your retailer. Regarding warranty, I'd wish they´d sell a warranty extension seperately.

So, instead of cutting the dealers out of the action, now Leica is competing directly with them? Well at least we can dream that dealers might discount it lower than Leica's direct price.

Many, maybe most, M8 owners have no on-the-ground Leica dealers in their area. So the gesture struck me completely contrary to your suggestion; they are now cutting dealers IN on the action.

IFor me the shutter, the CLA, and the warranty make the shutter replacement option worth it.

According to the current (german) issue of LFI it´s not a replacement of the shutter but an adjustment of the existing one. I found this good news because it signals they don´t have fundamental trouble with the shutter.

Guest Cordell
At least you can get the shutter without getting the glass cover. I will probably ignore both and wait and see what the next big thing is. DR

Let's see.... those people who were already convinced they needed the new shutter and had decided to get the upgrade are still going to do so....except now, at least some portion of them will only go for the shutter.

Furthermore, for those who are on the fence, the value-added by a 2 year warranty extension is now halved.

Brilliant marketing strategy, I can see now why it was important to sack Steven Lee :rolleyes: