M8 + 28 cron / 75 lux stolen in Lisbon

chris_tribble

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I simple put my camera bag strap around my knee and ankle sometimes. They would have to steal my leg too. Old NY trick

I do the same thing...wrap either the camera strap or camera bag strap around my ankle. I suppose this may be an issue in the presence of business associates but restaurants make particularly attractive targets for thieves.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I simple put my camera bag strap around my knee and ankle sometimes. They would have to steal my leg too. Old NY trick

I realize how careless I have been in the past... It is not only in NYC that bags get stolen obviously...

I'm going to start practicing this strapping business you describe. But I imagine that you can trip yourself if you get up too quickly... The other day I read that a British violinist fell with his Stradivarius (an item still more expensive than an M8, even with the Noctilux 1.2), reducing the instrument to splinters of wood...

This is really a sad story. I once "lost" a Nikon FE with two lenses in a restaurant (I left it there. We were the last guests but the owner afterwards claimed there was no camera). I was really frustrated for quite a while. I hope you do not have too much hassle with the insurance companie... And read the details of your contrac before making the claim..

Chris,

Yes it does. Both in a public tag and in a tag in the maker notes section.

- Carl

But I think you can prevent that the exif data is published on Flickr, can´t you?

Yours Olaf

Guest guy_mancuso
I realize how careless I have been in the past... It is not only in NYC that bags get stolen obviously...

I'm going to start practicing this strapping business you describe. But I imagine that you can trip yourself if you get up too quickly... The other day I read that a British violinist fell with his Stradivarius (an item still more expensive than an M8, even with the Noctilux 1.2), reducing the instrument to splinters of wood...

I think the biggest key in anything you do is always being aware of what you have and your surroundings. This alone would prevent 99 percent of the issues right out of the gate. It's certainly a sad fact of life. Be it NY or the corner coffee shop there will always be someone ready to steal something. I tried to teach my wife this fact and it never caught on until she was robbed last year in NY in her hotel were she spends a good part of 6 weeks there a year. Feels like home until they got her purse and 300 dollars plus a nice Louis purse to boot. But wrapping yourself in the strap will always help ward this stuff off. Bottom line there looking for people not paying attention, your the easiest target there is if your simply not aware of what is going on. Let's face it they don't want to get caught so there looking for the easiest solution to get something and no one notices.

Think like a thief and you may save yourself some grief in the long run. There out there looking for you don't let your guard down. Just a sad fact

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I do the same, and, when travelling I always take my portable hard drive and put it in my front pants pocket. If someone's going to get my images, they're going to get my pants with it.

Sorry to hear this happened.

Ladies and Gentlemen - truly appreciate your comments and concern. Summary:

1/ The Portuguese police were unfailingly courteous and helpful -- all they can do in these circumstances is provide me the documentation I need for my insurance (Aaduki - UK based and I think coming through good...) I felt I was wasting police time - I was the one who was careless! Also (I don't speak Portuguese, but had colleagues who did), the guy at the desk did have some English and was really nice to me) THANK YOU PORTUGAL!!! I don't blame you for your thieves - we have them in the UK too!

2/ Thanks for really practical advice on tracking E-bay + advising Leica in Solms + the Leica dealer in Lisbon. I'll follow up.

3/ Thanks for suggestions on sources. I have new for old on the policy, but if I can get mint used I'll buy. I'll contact David Stevens asap (he saved my neck with a spare M8 charger over new year - a gentleman).

4/ ... and just you watch me when I'm in a restaurant with kit next time. Was thinking about getting one of those slave bracelets + chain - but then I'm kind of attached to my foot and would hate to lose that too...:D

Any progress I'll update... And think about it. Sometimes some of us may sling the mud some times but this list is such a valuable resource. Thanks Andreas, thanks all the rest out there. :)

Best.

Out for dinner with clients and put the camera bag on the side of the chair to clear some space - 15 minutes later it had gone. A lesson! I'm insured so it's a hassle rather than a disaster, but I'd appreciate how best to make it difficule for b****ds for sell the kit. I'm registered with Leica. Is there a way of warning ebay users or others to notify the authorities if someone tries to sell them these. Should I post numbers here? :confused::eek:

Thanks.

You have a PM.

Kostia

Sorry to hear this Chris,

i recently lost my 28cron stolen by someone in Germany... so not only portuguese police as someone said...

I grieve for you too.

P.S.

you have to communicate the serial number together with statement of claim of the police to Leica,

They will let you know...

Best

Maurizio

I just cannot let go the idea of establishing a sort of stolen Leica registry. Here is a link to a registry of stolen flutes: Larry Krantz Flute Pages: Stolen Flutes List the registry apparently has a good track record of recovered items. Also the site is used for generating some statistics as to the circumstances under which the item was stolen. Useful for learning and insurance.

Could not this be a task for the present user Forum "l-camera-forum.com"?

Well... a true Newyorker would have just stolen your leg as well... no big deal.

Besides the joke... sorry to hear about your loss... maybe now you can sprint for one of the new M8s...

Also why don't you post the two serial nos here as well... we are all looking for used items, and they might just pop in front of one of us.

Chris,

Sorry for you.

In future, suppress all camera bag. Leica M8 around neck, even when on dinner, lenses in closed jacket's pockets. I do use fly fishing jacket under a M16 Combat jacket, or a tweed jacket, but never a camera bag. If a small backpack, secured around leg.

What? No flak jacket?

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, Chris. Assholes are everywhere.