M8 + 28 cron / 75 lux stolen in Lisbon

chris_tribble

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Out for dinner with clients and put the camera bag on the side of the chair to clear some space - 15 minutes later it had gone. A lesson! I'm insured so it's a hassle rather than a disaster, but I'd appreciate how best to make it difficule for b****ds for sell the kit. I'm registered with Leica. Is there a way of warning ebay users or others to notify the authorities if someone tries to sell them these. Should I post numbers here? :confused::eek:

Thanks.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Chris,

Sorry for you.

In future, suppress all camera bag. Leica M8 around neck, even when on dinner, lenses in closed jacket's pockets. I do use fly fishing jacket under a M16 Combat jacket, or a tweed jacket, but never a camera bag. If a small backpack, secured around leg.

Guest guy_mancuso

Ah man this just sucks. Chris , I know Jack is selling his 75 Lux and Hank as well so that can be found. I will keep a eye out for a 28 cron. I think a lot of dealers have demo M8's also. The 28 cron will be the hardest to find. Damn i feel bad here.

I'm insured so it's a hassle rather than a disaster

Hopefully you won't have any problems but be warned that some insurers may suggest that you had left the items unattended.

On the plus side, a number of forum members seems to be selling their Leica gear and moving on to the next big thing. Might be a good time to pick up a mint 28 for a reasonable amount?

Thanks guys - once things are clear with the insurance I'll come back on possible buy and sell. Glad the forum's here for that - I'm insured for new replacement, so it ought to be OK. Main concern is there a way of getting the serial numbers to appropriate places? The Portuguese police have them - I'm just interested if Leica has a central way to notify dealers + if ebay can be notified of stolen goods....

Thanks

Chris, I am truly sorry to hear about your mishap. What I do myself is that I always put my foot (or the foot of the chair) twice through the neck strap of my camera bag when I sit down at cafés or restaurants. That way it is impossible to remove it without arousing my attention.

Would it be possible to establish a web site, eg. "stolenleicas.com" where we could register stolen gear??

Guest Cordell

There used to be a stolen Leica registry on Leica's website. Is it still there? Now that the website has been...er....upgraded :rolleyes:

Most likely the stolen gear will end up in a local pawnshop, now that camera stores are few and far between. If not, it will probably be sold on eBay to an unsuspecting person, unless the theif saw you use the camera, and just by sheer coincidence happened to be one of the o.oooooooooooooo1% of the world's population and o.oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo1% of the world's criminal population who knows what an M8 is and wanted it for himself. Aside from the police probably you could send a letter to Leica's repair depot in Germany. Inevitably it will need service, and unless the new "owner" knows it was stolen, it will inevitably get sent to Solms since nobody else can fix it.

There may be a coincidental benefit aside from the ego boost, to having one's name engraved on one's Leica, killing its fence value as surely as it does its resale value. Kind of like nobody would bother to steal a triple-crown winner if he's been gelded.

Out for dinner with clients and put the camera bag on the side of the chair to clear some space - 15 minutes later it had gone. A lesson! I'm insured so it's a hassle rather than a disaster, but I'd appreciate how best to make it difficule for b****ds for sell the kit. I'm registered with Leica. Is there a way of warning ebay users or others to notify the authorities if someone tries to sell them these. Should I post numbers here? :confused::eek:

Thanks.

Sorry to hear about your loss.If you are not on new for old David Stevens in Manchester has an M8 and a 28 cron both mint and almost unused.David is the man who let the cat out of the bag about the M8 upgrade programne 24 hours early.

theleicaman

I have been dealing with him for 25 years and have always found him very fair.

Brian

Chris,

That's very bad luck. I know two people who have had bags taken in bars/restaurants since xmas now, and I'm extra cautious as a result. Professional thieves know that you will be distracted and then pounce, amazingly quickly too.

My guess is that it will end up on e bay, or sold for cash to a dealer somewhere.

I would e mail Leica with the details, and I'd c.c. it to all the Leica dealers in Portugal and Spain.

Chris, I am sorry for your loss, but thank goodness for insurance. The insurance can't replace the images already on your SD card or the ones you would have taken on the remainder of your trip. However, at least the insurance with ease the pain.

I am also insured, but need to reevaluate the limits now that I have acquired more gear. Everyone should take your loss as an incentive to re-evaluate their insurance. I know I am going to.

I hope everything works out in your favor.

There may be a coincidental benefit aside from the ego boost, to having one's name engraved on one's Leica, killing its fence value as surely as it does its resale value. Kind of like nobody would bother to steal a triple-crown winner if he's been gelded.

No use whatsoever if it's in a bag and the bag is stolen, not the camera.

If the camera is engraved, and unfenceable, it'll end up in a waste bin, or will be fenced for a £10 wrap of something Afghan. Strangely, there are people who don't care where an item comes from, or what is engraved on the top. Insurance is the only answer.

Chris - glad to see that you are insured. Have fun spending the insurance cheque ;)

I know two people who have had bags taken in bars/restaurants since xmas now, and I'm extra cautious as a result. Professional thieves know that you will be distracted and then pounce, amazingly quickly too.

I was in a pub in The City a couple of years ago. A friend was telling me about how he always used the "wrap the laptop bag strap around the chair leg technique" when sitting in a bar... you can guess the rest.

80 gig of unbacked up data had gone in the 10 minutes we were had been sitting there. He'd moved his chair leg, and the laptop had become free.

Thanks.

Sorry to know this situation even more because it was in my country.

Just for knowing what are the area of Lisbon you are when this occur?

Like big citys in the world Lisbon are better area´s then others so my question.

let me say sorry in name of Portuguese people.

Best,

Rui