Elmar 50/2,8

echorec

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I prefer it to the current Summicron, it has slightly warmer color rendition and is not as clinically sharp, but sharp enough.

I concur with the slightly warmer color rendition of the Elmar versus the Summicron, but find it interesting that your Summicron is sharper than the Elmar. My Elmar-M (in fact both of them, as I have a black one and a chrome one, too, so you are not alone :)) is brutally sharp, gritty as someone noted above, while my Summicron is very sharp, but in some situations has a more "pleasant" sharpness, if you know what I mean. So there seem to be differences between lenses of the same type, or it is just a matter of how they are adjusted.

BTW, I am surprised that nobody commented on your shot. That is one "set" of beautiful women, and very well photographed, too! If it is mother and daughter, it is almost impossible to tell who is who. Or are they sisters? Lovely any way.

Regards,

Andy

I concur with the slightly warmer color rendition of the Elmar versus the Summicron, but find it interesting that your Summicron is sharper than the Elmar. My Elmar-M (in fact both of them, as I have a black one and a chrome one, too, so you are not alone :)) is brutally sharp, gritty as someone noted above, while my Summicron is very sharp, but in some situations has a more "pleasant" sharpness, if you know what I mean. So there seem to be differences between lenses of the same type, or it is just a matter of how they are adjusted.

BTW, I am surprised that nobody commented on your shot. That is one "set" of beautiful women, and very well photographed, too! If it is mother and daughter, it is almost impossible to tell who is who. Or are they sisters? Lovely any way.

Regards,

Andy

Andy I had two of the current Summicrons and both are now gone. I still have a rigid, but that's a very different lens from the current one. I found them both painfully sharp, and to be honest, I really didn't like the pictures I got from them. Those are the only two samples that I've used.

Thanks for the kind comments on my pic. They're my daughters. The younger one on the left just graduated from college last year and now lives in Berlin. The girl on the right lives in Fiji and works with the Indo-Fijian population there. Below is a shot of a child staring up at my daughter as she talks with her mother. The children there are stunning.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Peter,

good shot that one, too. And congrats on your two daughters, well done. Judging from where they live now, they appear to be interested in what is going on in our world, which is always good.

BTW, I'm on my to way to Berlin ... (since I live in Munich, it is just a short hop). No, just kiddin :)

Best,

Andy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Gunnar

I posted an example shot here with the older Elmar 50 (not sure what year the lens was made).

I'm guessing that if you like low-contrast, then the older lens will work for you.

I like it most of the time, but I found that in really low light the lens seemed to render a little harshly with PortraNC loaded. I have no idea why - but was probably my incompetence rather than the lenses' fault.

(PS: du känner igen Brunnsviken, förstås) ;)

EDIT: I just realized that it's shots with the new lens you want to see, of course - sorry. :o

You are right but thanks anyway for showing this excellent picture. :)

Haha - thanks - this is all I take these days - family snaps. But be careful not to mention the picture if you bump into me and Anna in the street - she would kill me if she knew I'd posted it here... :eek:

(note to confused forum members: we live around the corner from each other - small world!)

Have a good weekend all! A lovely sunny day here in Stockholm today, and I wanna see if I can get out and take a snap for the Leica day - if I'm not too late, that is...