The beginng of the end for Leica

hassiman

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The only thing your experience as a pro does is make you who *you* are as a shooter and how your clients see you.

It does nothing here Guy, zip, nada, zero-ooney because whether we are pros or cat shooting rank amateurs, we do things our way for our reasons and your 33 years of experience and 7,000 posts on here simply do not affect us as visual people.

Great post!

Is it me or are there lots of oversaturated reds in those pics?

There is one shot in which people are spreading red powder around, but overall, it looks pretty neutral to me.

One thing to consider is that India does not have the clearest skies you will ever see, so the warm look is very prevalent over there and much of Asia near sea level.

This is one reason people photography looks rich in tone instead of being a bit blue and flat like say, where I live at 8,000 feet in the mountains..:-)

Sorry if this sounds harsh man, but sakes alive, the holy word of Mancuso gets a bit tiring..

I find this kind of remark funny because Guy has contributed a lot to this forum, comparing Leica offers with other cameras, testing lenses, working on solutions to the M8 problems, compiling a wish list of the members he sent to Leica, always sharing its experience with us...

I also find always funny to see how newcomers are so self-confident, judgmental, pointing fingers and confusing whining with criticism. Especially when their contribution to the forum has been equal to 0 except the usual "I'm so great that everybody should listen to me, especially Leica even if I behave like a capricious spoiled 3 years old".

Guest stnami
I also find always funny to see how non image posters are so self-confident, judgmental, pointing fingers and confusing whining with criticism.
:D :D

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well I'm a Pro and we have a difference of opinion. Images from the 5D are nice and I will just leave it there. I'm not getting into this battle. I have been shooting digital since the beginning and i know what i like.

Out of interest, what does being a 'pro' mean? Does it mean you take better pictures? Clearly not. Surely all it means is you get people to buy your services or your images. In which case the lamest newbie is also a pro if someone buys his/her work. Being a pro is not a badge of honour. In fact, sometimes the opposite.

Some of the worst photography I've seen has been shot by pro photographers - for the simple reason they shoot what they have to (grip 'n' grin events being a great example.) And some of the best photography has been shot by amateurs, because they shoot what they're good at and what they love.

Maybe let your pictures do the talking - not your keyboard?

Guest stnami
Some of the worst photography I've seen has been shot by pro photographers - for the simple reason they shoot what they have to (grip 'n' grin events being a great example.) And some of the best photography has been shot by amateurs, because they shoot what they're good at and what they love.
....... someone has resuscitated that cliché.......... I thought it died...................the old us mob don't like dem mob crap

....... someone has resuscitated that cliché.......... I thought it died...................the old us mob don't like dem mob crap

imants - I think this thread died to be frank.

I think people here are generally grown-up enough to make their own decisions about the debates here. There's no doubt in my mind that some members of the forum can have a tendency to behave with a sense of 'ownership' simply because of their long-term relation to it, and KM-25 made some good points which don't necessarily apply only to Guy.

I think if everyone tries to maintain a general policy of not getting too personal, and also of allowing everyone to debate openly and without arbitrary restrictions, we could maybe get this forum back up to the level of the other sections on the site.

Well, if it was a cliche I didn't mean to resuscitate it. But in all honesty haven't seen it expressed here elsewhere.

However, the point I'm making stands independently: a person can't claim to be a better photographer because they're a pro. They're a better photographer if they produce better pictures. For which reason comments along the line of 'listen to me because I'm a pro and I know what I'm talking about' ring rather hollow.

My point is that I wish people would remember that photography is all about the image - not about the personalities. I wouldn't have thought that was too contentious.

Guest stnami
My point is that I wish people would remember that photography is all about the image
.............. photography as a performance demands equal status with the resuscitated cliché and the image

.............. photography as a performance demands equal status with the resuscitated cliché and the image

Lucky you're not obscure, isn't it. Otherwise there'd be a real risk that no one would understand what you're talking about. :D

I also find always funny to see how newcomers are so self-confident, judgmental, pointing fingers and confusing whining with criticism. Especially when their contribution to the forum has been equal to 0 except the usual "I'm so great that everybody should listen to me, especially Leica even if I behave like a capricious spoiled 3 years old".

Pascal - do you define newcomer by post count or join date? Some of us have been on here for quite awhile, although our post count may not reflect it. We simply choose to contribute in different ways. Outsized egos get old on message boards and forums....and we certainly have a few on here that drown out other voices.....

Guest guy_mancuso
Guy, as one pro to another, you are having a really hard time seeing right now just how pompous and ego driven your statements truly are.

You bring home the bacon on here huh? No one asked you to, especially if it means we have to bow down to you, which we certainly do not.

And that talk of 7,000 posts? I am not sure I would brag about that one either....if you know what I mean.

Bottom line?

It is OK for people to love what they shoot with.

It is OK for people to talk of other brands.

Canon zealots? One could very easily make you out to be a Leica zealot then.....right?

The only thing your experience as a pro does is make you who *you* are as a shooter and how your clients see you.

It does nothing here Guy, zip, nada, zero-ooney because whether we are pros or cat shooting rank amateurs, we do things our way for our reasons and your 33 years of experience and 7,000 posts on here simply do not affect us as visual people.

If I may be so bold.......I think that is your problem Guy....you think this site and the internet photography world needs you. It does not and in all sincerity I believe you should turn over a new leaf for your own good, find fulfillment by other means.

Because if you believe we should all take the chaff with your magical "Golden-Photo-Wheat" then you are blindly mistaken and perhaps should open your eyes to the fact that no one but you sees you as the big kid on the Leica user forums block.

Sorry if this sounds harsh man, but sakes alive, the holy word of Mancuso gets a bit tiring..

I asked to left out of this conversation , since you obviously don't know how to do that . You obviously know what my next comment is. if you want to wring me over the goals do it in private otherwise who the hell are you to give me your advice. Your on the biggest ego trip I have ever seen on any forum. Get lost I need your advice like I need a hole in my head. All you do is brag about your next big shoot , who cares

Sorry if that sounds harsh man but sakes alive, the holy word of KM-25( what is your real name BTW) big shot KM-25 gets a bit tiring. Works both ways bud

Don't bother i already know . You want words you know my e-mail

Guest guy_mancuso
I find this kind of remark funny because Guy has contributed a lot to this forum, comparing Leica offers with other cameras, testing lenses, working on solutions to the M8 problems, compiling a wish list of the members he sent to Leica, always sharing its experience with us...

Thanks Pascal and my whole point was i tested all this Canon stuff out for 4 years and come up empty and put my money out there to make a major switch to a different system because i had to switch to leica and Zeiss glass just to get decent results. I was one of the first people to start bolting alternative lenses on Canon because i could not achieve the results i wanted. I was one of the grandfathers of this and still being done today by many people. Nothing has changed since except Nikon actually caught on and is making some awesome glass. i am switching out my 5d to go to a Nikon backup system since i feel Nikon is hitting the mark better. canon has not improved one thing except to add MPX, think about it the rest are bells and whistles. The 1ds was the best they made and if not for the noise I would still own it. So boring was the correct choice of words , and I do NOT need to explain it either.

The real problem on this forum is folks look for one word out of placement and just see me as a target of there own insecurities. Than attack. i'm done with the bullshit guys. Hit the ignore button if you don't want to listen. Imants this is your world

It's not the subject of the photos that changes. That's strictly up to the photographer - and I still believe it's the photographer who makes the photo, not the camera. The reason I prefer my M8 photos to the 5D's is the technical quality of the photos. The M8 photos are sharp right to the edges of the wide angle shots. The 5D, even with expensive prime L lenses, shows distortion, fringing, lack of sharpness on the edges. When I use R lenses on the 5D, it's much, much better, but still doesn't equal my M8 photos. As I'm editing in Lightroom and rating the photos, almost all of my highest rated photos are M8's. I love my fast M lenses and shoot a lot in very low light. YMMV of course!

Tina

Tina Manley- powered by SmugMug

Leica Traveler

Great pictures!...;)

regards,

Jan

Guest guy_mancuso
Well, if it was a cliche I didn't mean to resuscitate it. But in all honesty haven't seen it expressed here elsewhere.

However, the point I'm making stands independently: a person can't claim to be a better photographer because they're a pro. They're a better photographer if they produce better pictures. For which reason comments along the line of 'listen to me because I'm a pro and I know what I'm talking about' ring rather hollow.

My point is that I wish people would remember that photography is all about the image - not about the personalities. I wouldn't have thought that was too contentious.

Nothing to do at all on what I shoot but what I have already ran hundreds of test on. That WAS the point. i don't care if anyone likes my work or not . Not my issue if they don't , my reference as a Pro is i know what i am doing and know how to test gear. That's it. Again simply a case of twisting a comment out of place, we were not talking about photography where we . No we were talking about gear. Another case of Imants being half asleep

Out of interest, what does being a 'pro' mean? Does it mean you take better pictures?

There are probably different levels of professional photographers. The ones that are few and far between are those that have supported a family and put their kids through college working exclusively as a photograher. Of that type of pro, I have only met a couple in person and they are typically not on the forums either.

Guy and a couple others on this forum are that type of Pro and deserve some respect for their accomplishments. We are lucky to have their contributions and if the negative attitudes on this forum doesn't change, they just might elswhere.

Robert

Guest rweisz

The other day in that interview, Dr. Kaufman said he felt the forums were important for Leica to read, and that he reads this one himself. I wonder what his opinion will be of the obscenity-laced rants on this thread.

BTW I too am a pro with more than 30 years in the business, more than half of it in reportage and used a Leica for much of it. If I can offer a helpful suggestion, I do, and if I wish to express an opinion, I do also, but not in a tone that implies everyone else is stupid. Maybe others disagree but I don't think that having something valuable to say excuses taking a rude and disrespectful tone toward multiple forum participants on a recurring basis. I am ready to concede my 35 years pro experience is missing at least one point: as a full-time working pro I have no clue in heaven how I could possibly have time to make almost eight thousand posts in two years on one forum, let alone the multiple thousands on several other forums.