Zeiss Sonnar 1.5/5cm LTM

• 1 year later...
Am 24.6.2019 um 06:43 schrieb mickjazz:

I have one of the so-called 39 or 1939 sonnars in m39. I have only seen one other,  Westlicht had one at auction a few years ago. 

I have a couple of the supposed war time sonnars but the 1939 is completely different being a chrome lens with a different shape. See attached image. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hi mickjazz,

I recently bought a lens exactly like this but with a bit nickel color. Many says it is a fake.

Do you have more information about it? Is the DOF scale very strange on it? 

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd show my example... It is a 1938 Leica IIIa with what appears to be an original Zeiss 1.5 with M39 mount. Thiele's Frabrikationsbuch, Photooptik II (for) Carl Zeiss Jena lists the serial number of the lens as being from 1943 and definitely made for Leica camera use.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I bought this lens about four months ago from a lawyer in Berlin, it was a legacy of his father. It doesn’t seem like any Sonnars I‘ve seen and obviously very different from other Sonnars.

Chris Andreyo from Skyllaney contacts me and share some of his thoughts after I posted it on FB for it’s odd DOF scale, and then I decided to send the lens to him for CLA works and further forensic inspection. 

Chris dissembled the lens and had it all cleaned, re-centered and adjusted. Chris concludes this is an authentic prewar Zeiss Sonnar, base on many similarities to the official first generation pre-war Sonnar he owns. But why the actual focal length is 58mm remains unknown. For more details click the link below:

https://www.facebook.com/113802013610784/posts/472072864450362/?d=n

I‘ve done some homework from internet threads and many says the 58mm Sonnars were from the Stuka Stuvi parts and assembled in transition time, these might not perform well. I compared it with J-3 / Opton-Sonnar and a Prominent Nokton, and find some interesting results.

This was done with my Leica SL 601. Other then color rendering from the green-yellow tends from J-3, this Sonnar is quite a decent performer and have similar characters with J-3. A bit shaper in some ways but performs very similar. The Opton-Sonnar does a level higher shaper in center and has more overall contrast. Prominent Nokton has no doubts better corner when stopped down and better noticeable optical aberration control, but center sharpness when wide open is quite the same to my Sonnar and J3 but not so sharp as the Opton-Sonnar. BUT the differences was not so much when I used it on film.

I won’t bother you guys with all the magnified image testing results, I rather soot these fine lenses on film. I think this lens performs quite well, as long as I can keep it from flaring.

It is very exciting to have a piece of history in hand, and have it restored by Sonnar-Master Chris Andreyo. Skyllaney is highly recommended to CLA your Lens.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bluesky401319 said:

I bought this lens about four months ago from a lawyer in Berlin, it was a legacy of his father. It doesn’t seem like any Sonnars I‘ve seen and obviously very different from other Sonnars.

Chris Andreyo from Skyllaney contacts me and share some of his thoughts after I posted it on FB for it’s odd DOF scale, and then I decided to send the lens to him for CLA works and further forensic inspection. 

Chris dissembled the lens and had it all cleaned, re-centered and adjusted. Chris concludes this is an authentic prewar Zeiss Sonnar, base on many similarities to the official first generation pre-war Sonnar he owns. But why the actual focal length is 58mm remains unknown. For more details click the link below:

https://www.facebook.com/113802013610784/posts/472072864450362/?d=n

I‘ve done some homework from internet threads and many says the 58mm Sonnars were from the Stuka Stuvi parts and assembled in transition time, these might not perform well. I compared it with J-3 / Opton-Sonnar and a Prominent Nokton, and find some interesting results.

This was done with my Leica SL 601. Other then color rendering from the green-yellow tends from J-3, this Sonnar is quite a decent performer and have similar characters with J-3. A bit shaper in some ways but performs very similar. The Opton-Sonnar does a level higher shaper in center and has more overall contrast. Prominent Nokton has no doubts better corner when stopped down and better noticeable optical aberration control, but center sharpness when wide open is quite the same to my Sonnar and J3 but not so sharp as the Opton-Sonnar. BUT the differences was not so much when I used it on film.

I won’t bother you guys with all the magnified image testing results, I rather soot these fine lenses on film. I think this lens performs quite well, as long as I can keep it from flaring.

It is very exciting to have a piece of history in hand, and have it restored by Sonnar-Master Chris Andreyo. Skyllaney is highly recommended to CLA your Lens.

Fabulous - I recall seeing Chris's write up recently - a fascinating lens. He did a singularly spectacular job restoring my J3, and I agree entirely with your recommendation! Thank you!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

• Like 3

• Like 1

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Another Leica Sonnar. An 85mm f2 claiming to be from 1942, number 2839397.

Looks and feels right. Red “T”, small “m”, comma for decimal point, coated. Wartime or Russian occupation?

Suggestions welcome.

Edited by Pyrogallol

Looks and feels right. Red “T”, small “m”, comma for decimal point, coated. Wartime or Russian occupation?

Suggestions welcome.

... Obviously the second (see Thiele book)

11 hours ago, sabears said:

Suggestions welcome.

... Obviously the second (see Thiele book)

I don’t have the Thiele book. In what respect “obvious”?

• 1 year later...
On 4/22/2022 at 2:24 PM, Pyrogallol said:

Suggestions welcome.

Over a year later and I have just added two Jupiter 9 lenses, 1958 and 1959. Trying them out now. The Jupiters focus a little closer than the Sonnar, which I assume now is an early postwar Russian build.

• Like 1