M8 now or wait for "M9" FF?

hache

Advertisement (gone after registration)

They seem to make for some weird oof specular highlights though.

Sure, diffractive optics elements have some rather peculiar characteristics. But when they are employed as an alternative to microlenses – which is the use they are put to in the Panasonic sensor I am describing in the article –, this doesn’t really matter.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You I like. Your ok
......that's just stupid!! Bastards like you who come up with that sort of statement through presumption and refuse to do their research on the forum.....

.........gtr17.jpg

Some are born procrastinators, others seize life and live it.

Hi Bill -

(let's hope this doesn't descend into a slanging match if I take issue with this statement).

It's so hard to argue against this romantic devil-may-care attitude - what an exciting life it represents! Just go for it!

But the reality is buying an expensive consumer item isn't really about that adventurous lifestyle - it should (mostly) be about rational decisions based on economic realities. The bankruptcy courts are filled with the evidence...

If I was to give the OP some really 'carpe diem' advice, I'd say: forget the extravagant camera and lens expenses, buy a used film body and some rolls of Portra, and use the rest of the money for a ticket to somewhere you've dreamed of visiting! Take pictures and have experiences you've never had before - and never will again!

Seize the day by experiencing it! Or take the advice of the people on this forum (why else would one ask this particular question just here?), and use your money to buy a camera...

Clichés are arriving thick and fast...........

hahaha - sometimes only a cliché will do! Well anyway, as someone who's been busily accumulating Leica gear this past year, I can hardly be said to practice what I preach, eh? :o

Nevermind, I just can't get over people thinking that buying a luxury consumer-product somehow embodies a romantic, devil-may-care attitude to life.

Guest jimmy pro
......that's just stupid!! Bastards like you who come up with that sort of statement through presumption and refuse to do their research on the forum.....

.........gtr17.jpg

Teehee! I don't know if your drunk or high or both but you crack me up all the time. Normally it'd be nauseating to read some guy who thinks he's so much smarter and cleverer than everybody else but your so over the top whacko it's a hoot.

If thieves do indeed recognize an M8 - which I somehow doubt- they will also know that a stolen M8 is virtually unsellable - relatively too few of them and all are registered. Like a Ferrari is far less attractive than a BMW for a professional car thief.

Hmmm, like the crack addicts that tried to rip off my car stereos the other day, one that is virtually unremovable and unsellable (a true car stereo thief would know that) and instead just ruined the stereo and fucked up my dash. To a desperate person a camera is a camera - I seriously doubt they'd know at the time the'yre slashing your strap or holding a knife to your throat that the camera is registered with Leica! Nor care. :confused:

Hmmm, like the crack addicts that tried to rip off my car stereos the other day, one that is virtually unremovable and unsellable (a true car stereo thief would know that) and instead just ruined the stereo and fucked up my dash. To a desperate person a camera is a camera - I seriously doubt they'd know at the time the'yre slashing your strap or holding a knife to your throat that the camera is registered with Leica! Nor care. :confused:

No Charles you're wrong about this - Leica muggers are not like other ordinary crackheads - they hold a gold stiletto to your neck and politely ask if the camera has been upgraded to the latest firmware before taking it.

I doubt they'd be interested unless they see you have a full complement of IR-filters anyway.

I can appreciate your hesitation, I was the same way before I went to digital. I bought a new epson RD1 (at over 3 grand) and am glad I did. It takes excellent photos, is easy to use, and takes my M lenses. At the time I was waiting for the M8, well that was 3 years and thousands of photos ago, and now the M8 is here, and it didn't make my RD1 obsolete. If I were you I'd bite the bullet and buy the M8. Its a great camera (from what I've seen) and when it's replacement does appear (3 months, 3 years ?) It will still be a great camera that will hold its value if you do want to upgrade. Life's too short, there's always something better on the way.

Guest Cordell

I say buy an M8 if you want it. Maybe go for a factory-warrantied refurbished body, there's a big money savings you could put toward an upgrade later. Evidently Leica plans to keep selling the M8 in its initial iteration and buyers will have to pony up the money for an upgrade. That seems like a bizarre business strategy but maybe Leica can get away with it given the fanaticism they enjoy from their customer base. In any case I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a full-frame, and after my experience with 2 M8s I would have to strongly advise everyone who asks, to wait 6 months to a year before buying one.