M8 now or wait for "M9" FF?

hache

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You'd say a camera purchase is on the same level as a job, a woman and life itself? Well I'm sure you've got a lot of like minded company on Leica forums but out there in real life...not so much.

Jeez I dunno, maybe coz I'm not effin nuts.

Do yourself a favour, Jimmy. Read what is written, mull it over and then respond. If you miss the point, better not to put finger to keyboard. "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

Regards,

Bill

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest jimmy pro

Well I actually have a job, a woman and a life, so maybe that accounts for why my opinion is different from yours. Otherwise I'd say you oughta follow your own advices regarding opening your mouth.

Well I actually have a job, a woman and a life, so maybe that accounts for why my opinion is different from yours. Otherwise I'd say you oughta follow your own advices regarding opening your mouth.

How thoroughly small-minded that you choose to edit your post to make it even more insulting. Are you capable of making a point without being obnoxious? I suppose I should expect no better from a man who regards spelling as something wizards do, and grammar as the woman married to grandpa.

Regards,

Bill

Sheesh! OK Ladies, if we can put the handbags away and return to the post for a minute :D

Hache, I understand your concerns, but I'm with Ronald, Jamie and Bill in that if you wait for the next...whatever! as far as new technology is concerned then you won't buy anything.

It took Leica long enough to fit digital technology in an M frame and given the initial problems, I can't see a FF M arriving anytime soon.

Leica have recently announced a commitment to upgradeability for the M8 - we will have to see how this pans out but IMO it's potentially very exciting and maintains the Leica "camera for life" ethos. This could, if handled correctly, also be a marketing coup for Leica - a one off, expensive camera body and lens purchase with more affordable upgrades in the future (I personally think the first upgrade announced is way too expensive).

The camera as is takes wonderful images and is great fun to use...if you can afford it, buy it!

How many responses :)

I was not trying to discuss about money and Leica. This is the Leica forum so i guess everyone can live with that and knows how much Leica costs.

The point was Leica today or Leica tomorrow.

When i was saying that with DLSR you have to be careful with thieves i was just talking fast.

I meant, DSLR are actually too big and their lenses more. You need to carry with lot of big and heavy things everywhere you go. Yo cannot just take your camera with a lense and put it in your pocket. That is for me the best value from Leica besides image quality.

Moreover i dont like people to get intimidated by my super japanese camera.

I have used rangefinder cameras, time ago but i did. I have worked with big format, medium... And i know about M8 issues just my english is not the good id wish to talk more.

Thanks

Advertisement (gone after registration)

looks like Jimminy Cricket's playing with Tigger's tail .......

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

To paraphrase a well known poem:

(But) risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to risk nothing.

The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing, and becomes nothing.

He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn, feel, change, grow or love.

Chained by his certitude, he is a slave; he has forfeited his freedom.

Only the person who risks is truly free.

Bill,

I really like this well-known poem which ... um ... I've never heard of before. :p

Who's it by? Where can I find the original?

Guest jimmy pro
Are you capable of making a point without being obnoxious?

Yes but based on your own "style" that's the only sure way you'd get it.

I suppose I should expect no better from a man who regards spelling as something wizards do, and grammar as the woman married to grandpa.

Regards,

Bill

Don't quit your day job there Benny Hill.

Bill,

I really like this well-known poem which ... um ... I've never heard of before. :p

Who's it by? Where can I find the original?

The poem is called "Risks". It has been (wrongly) credited to a number of authors, but it is actually by Janet Rand. In full it reads:

To laugh is to risk appearing the fool,

To weep is to risk being called sentimental.

To reach out to another is to risk involvement.

To expose feelings is to risk showing your true self.

To place your ideas and your dreams before the crowd is to risk being called naive.

To love is to risk not being loved in return,

To live is to risk dying,

To hope is to risk despair,

To try is to risk failure

But risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to risk nothing.

The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing, and becomes nothing.

He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn, feel, change, grow or love.

Chained by his certitude, he is a slave; he has forfeited his freedom.

Only the person who risks is truly free.

Regards,

Bill

I called Mr. Deiss from the Leica Infodesk a couple of days ago and got the information that the M8 will be in production after the next photokina and that it will be possible to get upgrades for it. He told me that it would make no sense to wait for the photokina cause the M8 after the photokina will have the same "upgradability" as the M8 before the photokina.

This sounds to me as if there will be no FF M9 at the next photokina. So I'll buy a M8.

But everyone is free to draw his own conclusions.

Guest jimmy pro
I called Mr. Deiss from the Leica Infodesk a couple of days ago and got the information that the M8 will be in production after the next photokina and that it will be possible to get upgrades for it. He told me that it would make no sense to wait for the photokina cause the M8 after the photokina will have the same "upgradability" as the M8 before the photokina.

This sounds to me as if there will be no FF M9 at the next photokina.

Of course there's no possible chance in hell the guy from the "Leica Infodesk" would bullsh!t someone whose thinking of buying an M8 now vs waiting half a year :rolleyes:

Fresnel zone plates, not Fresnel lenses! Canon’s diffractive optics (DO) elements aren’t Fresnel lenses either.

Whatever. It is indeed outside my zone of interest and I'll happily take your expert word for it. They seem to make for some weird oof specular highlights though.

Jaap, strange that you mention that, there's an article in the latest LFI about sensor developments that mentions Fresnel lenses.

Does it Steve? I confess I have not gotten around to opening the latest LFI yet.

I'm a bit concerned that one of your main reasons for buying an M8 is that thieves won't recognize it. Yes, it is more low key, but thieves will know what it is and it will be even more of a haul in the end! In developing country travel it doesn't attract as much attention that's true. To avoid thievery it's about attitude and not the particular gear, though that neckstrap emblazoned with Nikon is never a good idea.:D

Anyway, be sure to budget in lenses, extra battery, sd cards (the D200 uses CF) and so on. It may end up costing a lot more than you expect. Worth it in my opinion but then I've been using M's for 15 years.

If thieves do indeed recognize an M8 - which I somehow doubt- they will also know that a stolen M8 is virtually unsellable - relatively too few of them and all are registered. Like a Ferrari is far less attractive than a BMW for a professional car thief.

If thieves do indeed recognize an M8 - which I somehow doubt- they will also know that a stolen M8 is virtually unsellable - relatively too few of them and all are registered. Like a Ferrari is far less attractive than a BMW for a professional car thief.

... but, as an amateur thief, I've stolen Ferraris only, indeed...:D