M8 now or wait for "M9" FF?

hache

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have the chance to get a new M8 for about 3300€.

Im not rich you know....

I`ve heard about a FF update for the M8, it will be expensive i guess.

Do you know when the FF will come for the rangefinder digital camera?

I don't know what to do.

Thanks for posting

Peace.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Of course.

Ill buy it in a shop. The good price is cause 4200€ - 10% disccount - 16% taxes. = 3287€

My fear is when the M9 FF will be release how low will fall the M8 second hand price?.....

Because, of course ill change to FF.

Soy de Madrid ahora que veo que tu tb.

Well are you Spanish? Because i was taking a look at your blog and it appears in German.

Of course.

Ill buy it in a shop. The good price is cause 4200€ - 10% disccount - 16% taxes. = 3287€

My fear is when the M9 FF will be release how low will fall the M8 second hand price?.....

Because, of course ill change to FF.

Soy de Madrid ahora que veo que tu tb.

"IF" there ever is a M9 it won't show up for years, like 4 or 5. So buy a M8 now and use it.

If you need to get into M photography from a digital point of view, your choices are either a film M and scan your negs or buy a M8 and work with files. Everything else regarding FF is pure speculation at this point in time. Decisions are best made with facts, the M8 is a 1.3 crop format. Can you live with that fact and all the other strengths and weaknesses in the M8 package?. If the answer is no, then look to another format to meet your needs. :)

If you're "not rich" now, you would probably find the price of a future M9 outrageous (if it happens, likely 7000 euros at the current rate of price escalation for the M8).

Dante

Im not rich you know....

I don't know what to do.

Thanks for posting

Peace.

Im not rich you know....

I don't know what to do.

Thanks for posting

Peace.

Full frame? anybodies guess. Mine would be: techincally possible: six years from now, implementation 8-9 years from now....

Price then: far over 10.000 Euro.:(

Full frame? anybodies guess. Mine would be: techincally possible: six years from now, implementation 8-9 years from now....

Price then: far over 10.000 Euro.:(

Hang on - even though I continually swear I won't get into these discussions...

8 or 9 years!!!???

Honestly Jaap - I seriously think we'll be using a totally different sensor technology in nine year's time. As for the six year timescale to a FF M-camera? I just don't believe the technical problems are so insurmountable in a shorter timescale... I certainly hope so, for Leica's sake in any case.

Goodness me - nine years... By then everyone will be back to film anyway. ;-)

Guest jimmy pro
Yea, thats the point.

Even i have a enlarger i do not have time nowadays for that kind of postprocess. Same with scan the photos.

I have read that the FF sensor is just about to come, my worries comes from that rumor.

1. The rumor came from Leica's top man, but he was purposely vague enough that it's safe to take the attitude of believe it when you see it. If the cropped sensor needs goddamn IR filters on every lens and it took them a year and a half to get the stinkin WB to work right, you can just about imagine even if they do come out with FF this fall, how many problems there'll be and how long it'll take Leica to fix them. The M8 works, sort of, as-is. Personally if your just getting into digital, the M8 like it is now is gonna be enough of a challenge to you. Early adopting a FF M9 would be your nightmare come true.

2. Add up what you spend on film and developing in a year, add the cost of a scanner or scanning, and subtract that from the cost of the M8. Even if that's all the M8 is worth in a year you broke even. In 3 years I bet even if the M8 weren't worth a plugged nickle you'd be ahead moneywise.

8 or 9 years!!!???

Honestly Jaap - I seriously think we'll be using a totally different sensor technology in nine year's time. As for the six year timescale to a FF M-camera? I just don't believe the technical problems are so insurmountable in a shorter timescale... I certainly hope so, for Leica's sake in any case.

Well even IF we are using a different sensor technology Leica, if they are still in business, will offer it in the M8, if possible.

Look at the time between M models, 53/54 to 65+ M3/M2, 65-71/2 M4, 71/2-8? M5 and so on.

You would think that a camera can NOW be built the size of the small P&S's and have a M mount on it, or a Nikon/Canon mount, but it's not here. Look at the new Nikon D3 , it's the size of a house. WHY?

I wouldn´t take this job and would wait for the next job.

I wouldn´t take this car and would wait for the next car.

I wouldn´t take this girl and would wait for the next girl.

I wouldn´t take this laptop and would wait for the next laptop.

I wouldn´t take this house and would wait for the next house.

I wouldn´t take this life and would wait for the next life.

I would take the M8 and would take photos NOW - because i saved a lot of time and money above :D

Guest Essemmlee
if the M8 weren't worth a plugged nickle you'd be ahead moneywise.

What is a plugged nickle?

Seriously, buy it now and get out and take the best pictures you will ever take. You probably won't take better images with a FF sensor. Might be better quality but you're a long time dead.

I wouldn´t take this job and would wait for the next job...

With respect - we see this response a lot (almost universally, in fact) to this type of question on the forum - to argue against it is to present oneself as a kill-joy. But to be honest the analogy just doesn't apply.

To many people, this type of expense has to be measured carefully against other outgoings - possibly even towards a new car or maybe a computer. Justifying the expense means - for some people (I stress that this isn't true for everyone) - that they don't want to see a new model supercede the one they have saved and sacrificed for, the day after they bought the camera.

Regardless of how great the M8 is, and whether you think it's more important to just gratify all your needs NOW, rather than defer gratification for those things one cannot actually afford, for some people it might actually be better to wait.

Im not rich you know....

I don't know what to do.

Thanks for posting

Peace.

Hi hache,

Had the same thinking when I decided to buy a M8. Considered the former model (digilux 2) had been released 4 years before the M8. So, I decided to buy it even after one year it was on the market. But I have started to save money for the next M9 or something like :) Let say it should come for sale in next 2 years, for the less ? I rather think a few more longer...

My final point is that I don't regret at all my purchase. Be sure that time using a M8 will make your life with photography absolutely joyful and happy. If you can wait for this, good for you. I couldn't wait for enjoyment and happyness !

Cheers,

Michel

8 or 9 years!!!???

Exactly what I'm thinking. Totally new technology - because that is what will be needed to build a 24x36 RF sensor...

With that money to spend I would do the following.

1.For the Leica Rangefinder feel and experience go for an analog M6.

2.For digital FF go for a Canon 5D

Both for less than you are looking to spend on an M8.

I am assuming (rightly or wrongly )that you do not have FF digital or Leica M at the moment.If I assumed wrongly then ignore this advice.

good light

Andy

Nice responses, ty.

This is not my first digital camera. I was used to take my pics with old reflex tiny models. Not this kind of new cameras with big slots.

Then i bought a Nikon D200 and this is not the kind of camera i like for "outdoor". Too big and the friends of the things belonging to other people look at it too much, well the people in general look at it.

I was about to buy a M6 then i discovered Leica had made a digital rangefinder camera! This was just like 2 weeks ago.

I dont possess any lenses so will be my start. I have sold all my Nikkor lenses.

It's a good deal on a great camera, and one that can be upgraded, unlike any other small used digicam on the market.

If you can afford it, like rangefinders (try one first) and are prepared to live with the camera's quirks (IR filters and lens coding at this point), then go for it.

(at this point, I'd give the 5d a miss even if you wanted a dSLR because it's very likely to be replaced completely this year, and if you don't want a D200, you probably don't want a 5d either :) ).