Given the speculation about future M8 upgrades

GarethC

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Exactly - the limitions in fact are in the eye of the beholder. No more no less. This was always the case 50+ years ago and now. We do not actually need more resolution, or DPI, or contrast, or sensor size or whatever...

If that is so, then why has Leica been so fanatical about steadily improving their lenses? Why didn't they just stick with the old stuff and say, "If it was good enough for Bresson and Eisie it should be good enough for you."

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

{Snipped}

And beyond a new sensor, what other upgrades do you think they can realistically do to the M8?

For me, beyond the shutter and new sensor, the required "sidegrade / upgrade" would be to make the camera go faster. IOW, upgrade all the electronic pipes to process data more quickly and more reliably. If they increase the size or resolution of the sensor, they need to do this in conjunction with the upgrade itself.

The buffer is what kills me with the current M8. I'm not a machine-gun shooter by any means, and I don't want or need a 1d3 (or a 1d2, come to that).

But it takes way too long to write multiple DNGs + JPEGs to the card. The lack of response there is pretty bad.

If "faster" extracts a toll on battery life or requires some exotic SSD memory or something, they should just make it happen (and make a longer-life battery too!)...

I can't think of anything worse than a larger sensor using the same data pipe the M8 already has.

So to me, a sensor upgrade should also include a larger and faster buffer and a way to store more data more quickly (like a fast SDHC implementation, which I'm not sure is just a firmware fix from the current M8).