Sign in to follow this  
GarethC

What was the type of bag that.............

Guest jimmy pro

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm not quite sure if you guys know that "Chinaman" is a derogatory term!

Cheese it, the PC police are here. You should hear what we all call each other back in my neighborhood and nobody gets riled up. Some buttcrack with a stick up his a$$ who thinks he's hot sh!t and smarts off like some guys here, now that's the kind of thing that can get you a crack in the mouth. I got nothing against the Chinese, but what they need is a coupla goombas to go over there and get em unionized. Those poor bums are getting screwed making there bosses richer than God.

Guest jimmy pro
Why this agressivity towards dentists and lawyers?

Nothing against them, just that photographers don't tell them what teeth to pull or what motions to file, so they shouldn't tell us photographers what gear we should buy.

You should hear what we all call each other back in my neighborhood and nobody gets riled up. Some buttcrack with a stick up his a$$ who thinks he's hot sh!t and smarts off like some guys here, now that's the kind of thing that can get you a crack in the mouth.

Sounds like a fun place.

being the bag who're that I am, I have all three. A&A Oscar, Domke F-5XB and Shootsac. There is no one perfect bag of the three. I like the padding and zipper front of the A&A but the zipper below the flap on the Domke. The Sootsac is great for going out shooting but would get packed empty in my suitcase for travel and loaded up when needed.

All that being said, I just switched over to a new Domke for travel. J803

this bag was recommended by Jack flesher who modified the inside by using a different Domke insert. J803 can do 2 M8's with lenses and with the four part insert still have the perfect space for the rest of your lenses especially if you use rear caps glued together for back to back lens storage. only having one body the other side in my case was used for wallet, mobile phone etc.

I can't post the link from here (iPhone) but he has pictures on his site Getdpi.com and there was a bag thread early on that you can search and find. This set up with the Domke so far is better than either of the F-5XB or the Oscar (for me).

Yeah, the Domke J803 ballistic is about the best bag I've used. Domke inserts are absolute crap though and that's where the price to quality ratio comes in. I've always had to find other inserts to put in my Domkes. But the 803 is a great size and very low key looking. Personally I'm not sure what to do anymore as any shoulder bag no matter the size whacks out my shoulder and backpacks are, well backpacks (and I have a couple of them out of necessity). The shootsac looks like one of those baby carriers and not even a cool one at that. Nice idea but not for me.

Guest Cordell

I bought the Artist & Artisan Oskar bag on-line, and returned it. It's as someone said, outrageously overpriced for the meager quality. Almost as costly as a Billingham of the same general size but the Billingham exudes quality whereas the Oskar bag feels like an inexpensive generic bag, very light-duty in the materials and the way its constructed.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I bought the Artist & Artisan Oskar bag on-line, and returned it. It's as someone said, outrageously overpriced for the meager quality. Almost as costly as a Billingham of the same general size but the Billingham exudes quality whereas the Oskar bag feels like an inexpensive generic bag, very light-duty in the materials and the way its constructed.

Did you have to pay their ridiculous 15% restocking fee?

Helene

So some folks don't like the A&A Oscar which is fine. I am perfectly happy with the quality & still recommend it. Plus I have seen quite a few other recommendations over here.

It does what it is supposed to do - i.e. contain the camera stuff without things getting damaged. The strap does not slip of your shoulder, it is comfortable, quite small and unobtrusive. And, importantly, it does not look like a camera bag. It's just a standard generic bag which is good to avoid the 'I am going to take your stuff away from you' types at bay.

Yes a gas mask bag may also have some of these characteristics and at a lower price. But maybe a bag like that is actually more unusual and attracts attention?

Re. restocking fee?

In Europe you have 5 or 8 days for free return of goods (at least for buying in a shop) - but you might only get a "I owe you" i.e. you still have to spend the money at THAT shop. In that case a 15% restocking fee sounds reasonable - although a cap on that would be better so 15% but min. $5 and max. $15.

As another bag whore, I have a number of the bags mentioned here, but the best one so far (for Leica) is the Think Tank Urban Disguise 40. There are a number of bags in the Urban Disguise line, and the smaller ones would work well for kits more compact than mine. The thing is, they don't look too much like camera bags -- give off more of a briefcase vibe. Very practical -- designed by newspaper photogs.

Professional photography equipment - camera bags, camera cases - from Think Tank Photo

I've got Domkes, and they're fine for shooting, but *really* attract the eye; they look like nothing other than a camera bag. And they're not particularly secure, IMHO. I find them useful when I'm traveling with a computer; I put the laptop and the camera gear in a Tumi backpack (or sometimes an oversized Tumi briefcase) for the plane, and pack the Domke F6.

The most discreet bag I have is the MClassics -- it has three fancy gold-colored buckles on the outside, and looks exactly like a small briefcase full of papers. Two of the buckles are disguised snaps, but one actually buckles...quite secure when you need it to be. There's a slot in the back where you can stick a newspaper or magazine. It'll carry a good-sized M kit, but it's expensive (I understand the fabric is the same stuff used for Porsche convertible tops, so it's really tough, but costly.) It does have a tag on the front that says, discreetly, black-on-black, "Leitz," so that gives the game away, but you can't read it until your nose is six inches from the bag...

JC

I've got Domkes, and they're fine for shooting, but *really* attract the eye; they look like nothing other than a camera bag.

JC

LOL - I just took this with me to a number of meetings (I'm in investments) and nobody had a clue that it was filled with camera equipment......

domke J803

LOL - I just took this with me to a number of meetings (I'm in investments) and nobody had a clue that it was filled with camera equipment......

domke J803

[ATTACH]75387[/ATTACH]

Interesting bag -- I was unaware of that one.

JC

Terry,

Can you put a 15" laptop in the bag as well as camera equipment? If so, how much additional (lenses, bodies etc) would you estimate would fit in?

Terry,

Can you put a 15" laptop in the bag as well as camera equipment? If so, how much additional (lenses, bodies etc) would you estimate would fit in?

No, you can't get a 15" in the bag. you might be able to get a MacBook Air in the front or back slide in pocket but I'm not positive. My regular MacBook would not do well.

Here is a link to Jack's thread. If you click on his pictures you will get a much larger view.

What's in the bag or, "How do you carry all that stuff?"... - The GetDPI Workshop Forums

Thanks... I didn't think so, but Domke advertise it specifically as a "laptop satchel". It's a shame that the Domke (Tiffen) site is absolutely dismal as to describing and showing their bags. By far the best manufacturer for showing their bags is ThinkTank.

Nothing against them, just that photographers don't tell them what teeth to pull or what motions to file, so they shouldn't tell us photographers what gear we should buy.

Sorry, I hate personal attacks in this forum, but this in nonsense. This forum would be a much less interesting place if only "professionals" were allowed to discuss; and the views of us lawyers and detentists (yes I am a lawyer

) are not neccesarily stupid only because we earn our living not with photography. Judge the comments in this forum on the basis of their content, and not on the basis of who made them.

Georg

Sorry, I hate personal attacks in this forum, but this in nonsense. This forum would be a much less interesting place if only "professionals" were allowed to discuss; and the views of us lawyers and detentists (yes I am a lawyer ) are not neccesarily stupid only because we earn our living not with photography. Judge the comments in this forum on the basis of their content, and not on the basis of who made them...

Agree colleague. Attacks like that make me wonder if we're welcome on the Leica forum.

Agree colleague. Attacks like that make me wonder if we're welcome on the Leica forum.

LCT, If lawyers are not welcome, what hope do us slave traders have...?

Regards,

Bill

Guest stnami
LCT, If lawyers are not welcome, what hope do us slave traders have...?
.........I'd say that your credibility may still be a notch above a lawyer or doctor,

p.s. give us a break both the brother in laws tread those paths......neither recommended the slave industry

Sorry, I hate personal attacks in this forum, but this in nonsense. This forum would be a much less interesting place if only "professionals" were allowed to discuss; and the views of us lawyers and detentists (yes I am a lawyer ) are not neccesarily stupid only because we earn our living not with photography. Judge the comments in this forum on the basis of their content, and not on the basis of who made them.

Georg

If the lawyers and dentists all disappeared, the overall quality of the photography might decline as well...8-)

JC

Guest Cordell
the views of us lawyers and detentists

detentist...is that new-millenia-speak for prison guard?