What was the type of bag that.............

GarethC

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Do people who have the shoosac think its big enough for a M8 with 3 lenses and a Xpan?

How well does it protect you against pickpocketing?

How would people answer these questions for any of the other bags.

The reason I am asking that I look for a bag for travelling. Not neccesarily one to keep my equipment well protected on the plan, but one to carry it a around during the day.

Thanks.

I was al over Florence with it the other day and because the neoprene fabric grips the contents of each pouch it would be quite hard for pick pockets (not impossible of course) to get at the contents.

Also everything feels very well protected since nothing istouching

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am using A&A's Sabastio's reporter satchel along my others many many bags. It works great as it holds lot of stuff. it can easily hold two M cameras with lenses as well as a few other accessories like meter or flash. I find the from pockets and backpocket are very useful. The zipper on the front flap makes it an ideal place to keep documents like passport and plane tickets.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I am using A&A's Sabastio's reporter satchel along my others many many bags. It works great as it holds lot of stuff. it can easily hold two M cameras with lenses as well as a few other accessories like meter or flash. I find the from pockets and backpocket are very useful. The zipper on the front flap makes it an ideal place to keep documents like passport and plane tickets.

Your picture looks exactly like the Oskar. I thought the Sebastio was larger.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Judgeing by the contents that bag is almost exactly the size of a Domke F5XB. That's $70. If the Oscar's bag is anymore than that it's a ripoff.

Jimmy, until you own one of these bags you would actually say at the price the quality of workmanship is a bargain. I find them to be much better value and more stylish than the Billinghams. I love and use my Domke but these bags are so much more comfortable and non-schleppy. Of course if you only value price vs design, what the heck are you doing shooting Leica?;)

I bought a Sabastio a couple of years ago at Photo Village in NY. Feeling a bit sheepish when asked about the price by the woman I was staying with, she thought it was a bargain. Have you seen the price of women's handbags (and I'm not talking Canal St)? It's all relative.....

I've used various army surplus bags for years and find that there are lots that work. My Leicas fit in many; the Noblex in a Br. gasmask bag that's waterproof, or a Dutch one. Swedish gasmask bags hold slrs with long lenses as does a US night vision bag I found in Seoul.

None are expensive and $29 is a lot for one, for example; most go for $10-20 each and have other uses, like carrying shells for pheasant hunting.... Most recent addition is a German "lunch bag" with pockets that hold 2-3 lenses, a Leica inside and one on your chest. $11.95 as I recall and built to outlast us all.

Unconventional but rugged solutions and a lot cheaper than the new stuff. And no one expects an M8 inside an olive drab or flektarn camo bag, I assure you.

Guest jimmy pro
Jimmy, until you own one of these bags you would actually say at the price the quality of workmanship is a bargain. I find them to be much better value and more stylish than the Billinghams. I love and use my Domke but these bags are so much more comfortable and non-schleppy.

WTF is non-shelpy? I've slammed and beat Domke bags for years and tossed them in a laundromat washer and then beat em more years. Who needs more quality of workmanship than that? And BTW I seen the A&A bags at Rich's shop in SoHo and there not anywhere near as thick and tough fabric as Domke. Strictly made for lawyers and dentists to play photojournalist on weekends after golfing.

Of course if you only value price vs design, what the heck are you doing shooting Leica?

A bag is a bag, pieces of canvas sown together by Chinamen making fifty cents an hour. Comparing it to something like a camera is pretty ridiculous.

Not Leica's man, them are made strickly by German drones :D

they are the best!...;):D

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

And BTW I seen the A&A bags at Rich's shop in SoHo and there not anywhere near as thick and tough fabric as Domke. Strictly made for lawyers and dentists to play photojournalist on weekends after golfing.

I was underwhelmed by the A&A stuff there as well. Domke stuff in black ballistic FTW. Think I have four of them. I also have a Billingham - something I never thought I'd buy, but once they made them in all black and less ostentatious looking - I did it. It is a high quality bag, and very well made.

WTF is non-shelpy? I've slammed and beat Domke bags for years and tossed them in a laundromat washer and then beat em more years. Who needs more quality of workmanship than that? And BTW I seen the A&A bags at Rich's shop in SoHo and there not anywhere near as thick and tough fabric as Domke. Strictly made for lawyers and dentists to play photojournalist on weekends after golfing.

A bag is a bag, pieces of canvas sown together by Chinamen making fifty cents an hour. Comparing it to something like a camera is pretty ridiculous.

To a certain extent I do agree with your statement but you could get tougher and thicker and much better fabrics and customized to your needs by popping into Bali's surf shops. The craftsmen did a custom job for a surf photographer I met. Cheaper too but roughhewn and it is hand stitched together tough as heck.

My domkes do not last more than 18 months before wearing out holes in half a dozen places. His bag was about 12 years old and patched all over and still does the job.

My domkes do the job better in certain conditions than the shootsac ever will but I do prefer my shootsac in some social situations because my domkes smell awfull :o:D My lady clients love the Shootsac. My other clients think I really look the pro with the beatup domkes.

Personally I find domkes unsuitable for me with the leica M8, the lenses roll about all over. The Shootsac is great for a single M8 setup but I might get the A&A bags for a two M8 combo.

The important thing is that there are considerable choice available out there. What is a ripoff to you may not be so to someone else. All three brands have something to recommend to my different ways of working. I also have kinesisgear (skeleton battle order harness style for endurance jobs that require 12 hour days for several days with 20 kgs of equipment), kata, tenba, haliburton bags for lights, etc.

At the end it is whatever that does the job better. Not how much the chinaman gets paid. The great thing about this forum is the testimonies about how different equipment performs and since I can't get to touch and use a A&A bag it becomes especially valuable. Anyway most rich amateurs go for domke if they really want to look like a part-time photojournalist. Quite a few have offered to buy my battered domke bags at better than originally paid for prices so that they can have a genuinely seasoned "pro" look :D

. Anyway most rich amateurs go for domke if they really want to look like a part-time photojournalist. Quite a few have offered to buy my battered domke bags at better than originally paid for prices so that they can have a genuinely seasoned "pro" look :D

Don't they know a little watered down bleach, some sandpaper and a scrub brush will give them the same look without paying you extra?

being the bag who're that I am, I have all three. A&A Oscar, Domke F-5XB and Shootsac. There is no one perfect bag of the three. I like the padding and zipper front of the A&A but the zipper below the flap on the Domke. The Sootsac is great for going out shooting but would get packed empty in my suitcase for travel and loaded up when needed.

All that being said, I just switched over to a new Domke for travel. J803

this bag was recommended by Jack flesher who modified the inside by using a different Domke insert. J803 can do 2 M8's with lenses and with the four part insert still have the perfect space for the rest of your lenses especially if you use rear caps glued together for back to back lens storage. only having one body the other side in my case was used for wallet, mobile phone etc.

I can't post the link from here (iPhone) but he has pictures on his site Getdpi.com and there was a bag thread early on that you can search and find. This set up with the Domke so far is better than either of the F-5XB or the Oscar (for me).