What was the type of bag that.............

GarethC

Advertisement (gone after registration)

........appeared to be fairly close fitting to the body, making it a little less obtrusive?

I vaguely remember reading about one a few weeks or months ago but I can't for the life of me find the thread, posting or any reference to it. I've resorted to reading through the specs fo rthe bags at Adorama's sitebut that is about as interesting as watching grass grow.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One bag that has been recommended here is the Artist and Artisan Oskar's One Day Bag (as I recall). I use a Courierware extra small bag; it looks like a courier/messenger bag and comes with a padded insert. (Courierware Bags) It can be purchased without the insert, which allows you to use an insert of your choice. (I use the Billingham Hadley small insert.)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

One bag that has been recommended here is the Artist and Artisan Oskar's One Day Bag (as I recall). I use a Courierware extra small bag; it looks like a courier/messenger bag and comes with a padded insert. (Courierware Bags) It can be purchased without the insert, which allows you to use an insert of your choice. (I use the Billingham Hadley small insert.)

This bag looks like a nice idea. Based on your use, can it handle M8 and 2-3 lenses?

Bud

nope, got the Luigi case. Definitely not it or the Courierware bag but that does look like a nice bag if maybe a tad overpriced. The A&A looks familiar and worth buying even if it wasn't the bag lol

What I really need is something relatively slimline to hold camera and 2-3 lenses. i don't get why bags have to be 8 inches wide to hold a lens.

What I really need is something relatively slimline to hold camera and 2-3 lenses. i don't get why bags have to be 8 inches wide to hold a lens.

I like my Domke 802 Reporters satchel bag. Not much padding, but form fitting. Many people prefer the 803 which is slightly smaller:

Satchels | B&H Photo Video

It's so popular that there are even Chinese-made copies on eBay.

good luck finding your bag,

rt

Just got a shootsac and it's the best bag I have ever had (and I like most here have a ton of them)

At weddings I have the main bag (stupid big and stuffed with everything) but this allows me to have everything I need to carry around me with and it's totally light and slim plus very well made.

It has six (i think) pouches and is made of a very light weight flexible heavy weight neoprene (I think) I have had my camera with me every day since I got this bag - and that's the point - it's right there when you need it. Ideal for an M8 setup but not for DSLR so much. My suggestion - get one you'll love it

I like this bag, Pete, do you use this bag? Does it accomodate M8 and 90MM and 50MM?

Bud

Bud,

I have a nicely worn looking one but I don't use it because I don't feel comfortable with a bag slung over one shoulder and I carry more clutterabilia (umbrella, jacket, book, kitchen sink etc) than comfortably fits into the MClassics bag alongside the important stuff.

The MClassics bag will easily accommodate an M8, 90 and 50 but if you decide to put in some padding (depending on the thickness you choose) then that could change.

The bag has a lovely 'journo' look to it but I value function over form so mine spends its time looking after its growing family of dust bunnies. It occasionally escapes the house when my resolve wanes and my vanity decides I should look like a pj for the day but invariably gets reintroduced to its dust bunny family for an extended period afterwards with me saoked to the skin and mutteringly darkly that I should've remembered that shoulder bags don't work for me etc.

Pete.

For an M8 and just 2-3 lenses you can get the smaller crumpler bags in the

Million Dollar Home series ( I have a 5 million here is the 3 which is smaller)

Crumpler | 3 Million Dollar Home Bag (Black) | MD0303A | B&H

and the

Domke F-5XA (easy to cut the label off)

Domke | F-5XA Bag (Black) | 700-51B | B&H Photo Video

This bag looks like a nice idea. Based on your use, can it handle M8 and 2-3 lenses?

Bud

It is very well made and pretty well thought out. It is what I would call a flap-top bag--instead of opening and closing with zipper on top, it has a nice soft canvas flap that goes over the top and is held in place by the right amount of Velcro. The inner lining in bright red, so in low light situations, you can spot what you are looking for easily. The lining is soft and easy on your equipment. The shoulder strap is wide and has a nonslip surface that works well. Mine will easily hold: 1 body with a 28mm lens, my CV15 with Milich shade/filter holder/a 90mm in the main pockets. There are two front pockets wide enough to hold a digital storage device/viewr like an Epson, Wolverine, or Hyperdrive, and I can even put a 135mm lens in the second front pocket. Batteries and a cable release fit nicely in the flap pocket, which has a zipper. You can buy additional velcro-attached red lining separators from Photo Village in NYC, though they are very expensive ($35-$40).

Might also check out the Imagesmith. I know Sean Reid reviewed it and liked it alot--it's a bit bigger, and has a zipper on top.

Either one is unobtrusive and well-made. I've had too many Lowe-Pro's and others that I didn't end up liking. The only other bag I have is a Domke FX5B--about ten years old. Simple, a bit smaller, but they are 1/3 the price of the A & A Oskar. And, you can get a waist belt for them which can work out nicely if you went to put the weight of your camera on your hip rather than shoulder.

... The A&A looks familiar and worth buying even if it wasn't the bag lol... What I really need is something relatively slimline to hold camera and 2-3 lenses. i don't get why bags have to be 8 inches wide to hold a lens.

You might wish to consider the Artisan & Artist 'Penn's Pad & Pencil Satchel'.

Can carry one body with a lens, 2 more M lenses or 4 stack ones plus a flash, all batteries and memory cards or rolls you need, a couple of pens and some documents.

Just a bit larger and pricier than the Billingham 'Hadley Small' if i remember well.

If you want to be unobtrusive, it is the perfect bag IMHO.

Artisan&Artist* Bags

AA_PPPS.gif

Guest jimmy pro
........appeared to be fairly close fitting to the body, making it a little less obtrusive?

I vaguely remember reading about one a few weeks or months ago but I can't for the life of me find the thread, posting or any reference to it. I've resorted to reading through the specs fo rthe bags at Adorama's sitebut that is about as interesting as watching grass grow.

The best bag like you describe for the money is Domke F5XA, and just a little longer, F5XB. The rest of them, A&A M-Classics, Billingham are all good bags but way way overpriced.

I like my Domke 802 Reporters satchel bag. Not much padding, but form fitting. Many people prefer the 803 which is slightly smaller:

Satchels | B&H Photo Video

rt

I'm with rt - had one for years. Make your own inserts and it can hold two bodies + 6 lenses (two lenses on bodies).

I like this bag, Pete, do you use this bag? Does it accomodate M8 and 90MM and 50MM?

Bud

I have this bag too - it'll consume an M8 and a few lenses without any bother. Unlike most, it isn't overstuffed with padding. The front pockets are somewhat over-deep in my opinion though.