Sean Reid's review of a pre-production upgraded M8

LichMD

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just read Sean's review of a pre-production upgraded M8.

Interesting read, examining the shutter release and shutter noise specifically.

As with all of Sean's reviews well worth the cost of admission.

I'd been leaning towards getting the upgrade, Sean's review helped me decide

to definitely order it next month.

Cheers!

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read Sean's review of a pre-production upgraded M8.

Interesting read, examining the shutter release and shutter noise specifically.

As with all of Sean's reviews well worth the cost of admission.

I'd been leaning towards getting the upgrade, Sean's review helped me decide

to definitely order it next month.

Cheers!

Thanks Jeff,

I'm going to have the upgrade done to mine as well. I really like the sound and feel of the new shutter system.

Cheers,

Sean

Yes, especially if you have a single M8 which goes away for upgrade and you have nothing to compare it against when it comes back.

"It's quieter, I guess.... and the new glass is scratch-proof, not that the old one was scratched anyway".

€1200, times 3 in my case, no thanks.

Yes, especially if you have a single M8 which goes away for upgrade and you have nothing to compare it against when it comes back.

"It's quieter, I guess.... and the new glass is scratch-proof, not that the old one was scratched anyway".

Not to mention the slow synch speed of 1/160! :eek:

I'll start off with one and then save up for the next! I've just stood up the chance of getting a used Canon 300 2.8 at Map Camera in Tokyo - it wasn't THAT much cheaper than in the UK, so I've now got my fighting fund for the M8 upgrade. I truly do want the quieter shutter...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not sure how reliable in fact. My first body (Jan 2007) seems significantly earlier than the one I bought in April 2007. Different lenses also seem to make a difference in the way the sound is damped. I don't know if I should have the quieter one upgraded on the basis that it's "quieter" body shell, or go for the noisier one. Very strange stuff...

But you can upgrade only one, for quiet-secret assignments;)

And it could be the one you disassembled, so you regain your warranty.

If I had two, I would do this upgrade for only one.

I must add that, as time goes by, I am leaning towards this upgrade, especially that it means new shutter release...but the question is: I I take, for instance, two upgrades (this and some new one) at the time, will the package be priced differently- due to one disassembly and one warranty prolongation?

My earlier M8 shutter (1.06 firmware) is far quieter than the unit that Leica replaced. But the replacement gets much harder use. So I've wondered if the shutter mechanism just wears out and hets noisier with use. The film Ms used to get even quieter with use. Leica says both of my units are within its quality tolerences.

I didn't mind paying USD 4800 for a camera.

But I do mind paying USD 1800 for a warranty extension before the existing one expired, plus a new shutter and screen. An amount about equal to half the price of a used, mint M8 which in some cases is being offered with a one year dealership warranty coverage. Manually dis-and reassembling an M8 at German labour costs only makes sense if the technical upgrades installed are significant (e.g. better chip). Otherwise, cost/price of the exercise are disproportionate to value added.

But maybe I'm just to fixated on the value for money concept?

I must add that, as time goes by, I am leaning towards this upgrade, especially that it means new shutter release...but the question is: I I take, for instance, two upgrades (this and some new one) at the time, will the package be priced differently- due to one disassembly and one warranty prolongation?

More then likely the price for EACH UPGRADE will be the same whether you do 1 upgrade or 2 or 3.

If the first is 1200e and the second is 900e doing both at the same time will be 2100e.

Leica has set a price on the upgrade to take into account doing the complete packaged update. They have more then likely taken 2 or 3 of there top assemblers and had them strip out serveral M8 and install the updated parts. Taken all the times it has taken them for each camera and divided that time by the number of cameras worked on to come up with a average time it takes to do the updated. Then added on what the parts cost + Profit and that is what they will charge for the update. when and if there is ever a second update/grade they will more then likely do the same.

No but like so many people, you seem to be unable to understand that value is a relative concept, not an absolute based on your preferences.

If getting a quieter M8 is not worth 1800$ for you fine. For others, it is a fair deal.

Good point you make here. But if your relative value theory was true, used and upgraded M8s', henceforth will sell for about USD 5600 (about 3800 + 1800), a higher price than new, not upgraded ones can be had for in the US. Future will tell what the market will value upgraded ones at.

I didn't mind paying USD 4800 for a camera.

But I do mind paying USD 1800 for a warranty extension before the existing one expired, plus a new shutter and screen. An amount about equal to half the price of a used, mint M8 which in some cases is being offered with a one year dealership warranty coverage. Manually dis-and reassembling an M8 at German labour costs only makes sense if the technical upgrades installed are significant (e.g. better chip). Otherwise, cost/price of the exercise are disproportionate to value added.

But maybe I'm just to fixated on the value for money concept?

I wholeheartedly agree. Plus, replacing an almost new working shutter with another new working shutter is kind of nuts. Frankly, I don't care about what reasons all you nice folks come up with to help justify to yourselves another huge expense but somehow it seems, owning a Leica camera has drug like effects on people. It clouds their common sense.

Another one who thinks that because it does not want to buy something, those who are interested are kind of stupid ;)

Has this forum become the annual convention of the "Read Only Minds Club" ?

Thanks for making my comment personal. Looks like I hit a soft spot with you, doesn't it. Reminds me of the alcoholic who beliefs firmly he doesn't have a problem with alcohol.

Let me spell it out for you. I don't think it's stupid. But I think it's way overpriced for what Leica is offering. It's a bloody camera, not a luxury article.

Oh please, spare me the 2 cents psychology and the "Ah, ah Gotcha". How old are you ? 12 ?

If you do not know that the value of a product is relative, defined by the encounter of the offer and the demand, wait till you end high-school and came talking back to me then.

Oh, how delightful. I was right. Now your defense is to insult me to show your superiority. Good boy.

I am 47 by the way and it's you who acts like a spoiled child.