Can you post some darker iso1250 shots please?

gIzzE

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Are there any programs available, or add-ons in CS3 for instance that can turn this noise into "grain" .... I don't find the noise in the Dalai Lama guy image disturbing at all, enhanced, that is grainified if I might call it that it would possitively add to the image

Alien Skin 2 could be used to add grain. The noise doesn't bother me in this image, either, although it is naturally more noticeable in the color version.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are there any programs available, or add-ons in CS3 for instance that can turn this noise into "grain" .... I don't find the noise in the Dalai Lama guy image disturbing at all, enhanced, that is grainified if I might call it that it would possitively add to the image

This shows the b&w version with Alien Skin used to add grain. I think what all of this shows is that the M8 can give very usable files, even at the highest ISO settings. It just takes a bit of processing with the right software--none of which is particularly complex.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As long as the ISO 1250 shots are flying I might as well sneak one of mine in.

This was taken in Melbourne (Oz) just after I got my M8 last April. Tweaked a bit in Lightroom, but no noise reduction.

Kent,

This one I find interesting as I'll have to shoot an organ festival in a cathedral next month.

Low light and no noise for the organists. A good test for the M8.:cool:

This one I find interesting as I'll have to shoot an organ festival in a cathedral next month.

Low light and no noise for the organists. A good test for the M8.:cool:

I think the M8 will be great for that. When I was shooting around in St Paul's Cathedral in Melbourne it was as though nobody even knew I was there, in spite of the M8's "noisy shutter." Of course there wasn't a service going on at the time, and nobody was playing the organ. Nonetheless, I think it will be fine.

Here's another one in St. Paul's at ISO 1250 (admittedly the stained glass is just a tad blown, but there's enough information there).

I think the M8 will be great for that. When I was shooting around in St Paul's Cathedral in Melbourne it was as though nobody even knew I was there, in spite of the M8's "noisy shutter." Of course there wasn't a service going on at the time, and nobody was playing the organ. Nonetheless, I think it will be fine.

Here's another one in St. Paul's at ISO 1250 (admittedly the stained glass is just a tad blown, but there's enough information there).

Thanks, Kent,

Well mine will be darker, it will be at night. But I'll also have to shoot the organist on the roof of the cathedral : it's the only way for him to get to the organ's pulpit, 90 feet aboveground. :eek:

Gorgeous shot, Kent.

Ok, well, I'm shooting a wedding tomorrow and it's going to be dark (indoors all day at a huge Masonic Hall) so I'll make sure to take some ISO 1250 shots by candlelight or something.

I do believe that the game has changed somewhere along the firmware line, honestly, in the past year. Or I've been getting better at using the camera. Here's another nightime shot (with 100% crop) using the M8 at ISO 2500 (with a 28 Cron):

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/nature-wildlife/45288-snowstorm.html#post477319

No banding; some "grain" added. It prints quite nicely, actually, and I'd be hard pressed to do any better with the 5d (especially since I can't put a 28 cron on it :D )

You get a strange conclusion IMHO, if I'm not wrong, using the "underxposed" technique, you should be able to get one extra stop in shutter speed (really important when shooting in extreme low-light and moving subjects too), this is the advantage, and then you should be able to correct noise with enhanced softwares eventually.

Tha same happened with film when "pulling" the iso.

Here i post two samples, 100%crop the first one is 1250 iso @ 1/24", the second one is 640 iso -1 E/V @ 1/45" pulled up in ACR 3.6

Maurizio,

IMHO, I think you're wrong, but maybe I'm tired (influenza): if you shoot at 640 with 1EV underexposure, you get the same shutter speed than at 1250 with exact exposure.

If it's not the case, I'd better go back to bed :D

François

Here's are some 1250 iso.