let's see your R

martin

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can post where you want but your R9 is not and will never be a Leicaflex.

Thank God for that! The Leicaflex is an antiquated, slow, mechanical throwback of a beast, that uses cds cells suffering from memory problems when exposed to a bright light source. The R3 also used 3 cds cells, however subsequent models were equipped with silicon cells. The R8/9 were 100% Leica far beyond anything the Leicaflex could aspire to, though some people swear by the Leicaflex viewfinder. Clearly, I am not one of them.

• Like 1

Thank God for that! The Leicaflex is an antiquated, slow, mechanical throwback of a beast, that uses cds cells suffering from memory problems when exposed to a bright light source. The R3 also used 3 cds cells, however subsequent models were equipped with silicon cells. The R8/9 were 100% Leica far beyond anything the Leicaflex could aspire to, though some people swear by the Leicaflex viewfinder. Clearly, I am not one of them.

Not that there is anything wrong with that :D Personally, I do happen to love my Leicaflexes, R8 and R6.2 from the R system. Needless to say, I love vintage mechanical cameras and modern cameras. Other favorites are Leica M3, Rollei TLRs, Nikon F (meterless prism) :cool:

Old, perhaps, Antiquated, perhaps. But it was for me a financially accessible way into Leicas, and being a young guy who's inundated with "new and improved digital" it really helps make me stop and think about my work and not just shooting for shooting's sake. As for the R8 / R9, yes they were beyond anything Leica in 1964 or 1968 could have aspired to, but look at the rate that technology evolved within the 35 to 40 years that ensued. I'd *LOVE* to own an R9, but at the same time, there is a certain beauty to a vintage camera that exists in the same way as a vintage car. It's just rawer, it's less "refined" technologically compared to its modern brethren, but it serves as an evolutionary point in time. The SL, an evolution of the standard, has an improved appearance and through-the-lens metering, a BIG step for a company that was as conservative as Leica was (and to an extent, still is).

However, what one *CAN* do (and IMHO should do upon buying a Leicaflex or any 40-plus year old camera) is have the lubricants modernized, the battery converted to a modern battery, etc., to bridge the gap a bit between vintage-correct and modern convenience and stability. The tolerances were frighteningly tight, but at the time the technology for alkaline batteries was in its infancy and the existence of nanotechnologies and microtechnologies for lubricants to be able to work in such small environments was a NASA pipe dream. (This is one of the reasons the Zeiss Contarex failed, the lubricant wasn't "micro" enough to get into the seams, and was simply purged out of the camera.) Will this result in a silicon meter for increased modernity? No. But it will make the camera like new and a better daily driver.

I will though agree with the perspective you have on the R9, it is the pinnacle of Leica SLRs. Modern *EVERYTHING*, and - at least to me - very aesthetically pleasing (what can I say, I like the design of the "hunchback from Solms"). As for the viewfinder, it's up there with an R6.2, but what befalls the Leicaflex is that they (Leicaflexes) are very susceptible to desilvering. That can dim the viewfinder a bit and perhaps influence one's placement of the L-Flex in the "bright viewfinder hierarchy".

So I will agree and disagree.

Jason

• Like 4

Compared to Leicaflexes the R8/9 are put away cameras even not economic to repair....:cool:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-r-leica-flex/261382-leica-r8-centre-spot-metering-stopped.html

Compared to Leicaflexes the R8/9 are put away cameras even not economic to repair....:cool:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-r-leica-flex/261382-leica-r8-centre-spot-metering-stopped.html

I was going to ask what did you mean by "put away cameras." Then I read the thread you provided and saw what you were refurring to.

The experience by those who have R8 and R9 models is a shame.

I would have to add the little "Exposer Mode Dial" on the top of my R9 came loose. It didn't fall off, it just spun loosely. I sent it in to Leica America 1.5 years ago and came back working fine. At first the "Exposer Mode Dial" was kind of tight, but has sense loosened up and now feels "normal."

Although I did notice in August 2012, the rear LCD display was acting up. I put a roll of film into the camera and after shooting a 1/2 of it, I noticed the ISO reading was incorrect. I tried to set it manually and couldn't. Or at least it wouldn't display correctly. All the digits were displaying at the same time. And then sometimes it was off.

With a 2nd roll of film, I used a incident light meter just in case. Unfortunately I don't remember if I was still having problems with the LCD readout.

Recently I pulled the camera out to see how the LCD was working. It seemed to be fine. So the next time I use the R9, I'll be testing it out again but this time with a roll of film.

I forgot to mention, I did call Leica America and it was suggested to put a little alcohol on the end of a Q-tip and "gently" whip the gold contacts between the back and the rear door. He stressed "gently" because the gold contacts are very thin a fragile.

So at this point I'm not even sure if there's anything wrong with my R9. And at least I know there's no issue with the center meter...well at least from the last time I used it. I remember using the center meter last time because I was trying to lock in a exposure and re-compose the shot. I discovered (at least with my R9) I can only lock in a exposure while using the center meter, not with the other exposure modes.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-r-leica-flex/190271-sent-my-r9-leica.html

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Literally English traduction from "Betriebskamera"

One of the very few R9 :

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by jc_braconi
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hello to all!

The photo (courtesy of my iPhone 5) of my "new" R and its little brother, a D-Lux 3. This R3 was just given to me from my widowed neighbor. While preparing to move out of state she ran across her husbands beloved R3. After much thought she asked me to keep it and take care of it. The camera was used often but show virtually no signs of wear and operates like a champ. It came with the original strap, leather Leitz camera bag, the 2.8 24mm and a 28-70 zoom. While in my high school days, I used a Konica Autoreflex T3 shootings photos for the school yearbook. The fellow that was the school photographer the previous year owned a Leicaflex which I envied but could not afford. This R3 coming my way in such an unexpected way is really a dream come true after 39 years of waiting to own a Leica SLR. Cheers.

• Like 5

Here are my favorites.

Ok, one is no R, sorry for that !

Piture taken with a IIIf, Summitar 2/5cm, Agfa Ct100 precisa Slide

Regards Gerhard

• Like 3

Hello to all!

The photo (courtesy of my iPhone 5) of my "new" R and its little brother, a D-Lux 3. This R3 was just given to me from my widowed neighbor. While preparing to move out of state she ran across her husbands beloved R3. After much thought she asked me to keep it and take care of it. The camera was used often but show virtually no signs of wear and operates like a champ. It came with the original strap, leather Leitz camera bag, the 2.8 24mm and a 28-70 zoom. While in my high school days, I used a Konica Autoreflex T3 shootings photos for the school yearbook. The fellow that was the school photographer the previous year owned a Leicaflex which I envied but could not afford. This R3 coming my way in such an unexpected way is really a dream come true after 39 years of waiting to own a Leica SLR. Cheers.

Wow, that looks new!

Yes, taking care of widows and orphans is always the right thing to do and sometimes it has unexpected benefits, i.e., a gifted Leica. As I already mentioned, she is preparing to move and called yesterday to say she found something else she wants me to have. There was a receipt in the camera bag for a Vario-Elmar 75-200 so maybe she ran across the lens! Her late husband was a pediatric Dr. and obviously took exceptional care of this R3. I am unsure of how much it was actually used but it would be described as "mint". I found, on ebay, a +2 diopter correction lens for the viewfinder that I need. It has already arrived and makes it much easier to see the entire viewfinder. I am running some film through the camera now to determine if the light seals are doing their job.

I absolutely love the seductive "ker-thunk" sound of the R3 shutter...makes me think of the satisfactory sound of a door being closed on a Mercedes Benz.

I decided to arrange and store my Leica-R glass in a dedicated Pelican case. Bought the case some time ago but it took me some time to get to it. Did it last night, finally. You literally just outline the lens and take foam micro-blocks out with your fingers. This was fun (and a lot of discarded foam, of course :)). Couldn't stop myself from taking a quick snapshot of the result (it's not very sharp, sorry):

8571378194_2a79a9513f_c.jpg

8570284743_f516ecfce8_c.jpg

• Like 8

Yes, taking care of widows and orphans is always the right thing to do and sometimes it has unexpected benefits, i.e., a gifted Leica. As I already mentioned, she is preparing to move and called yesterday to say she found something else she wants me to have. There was a receipt in the camera bag for a Vario-Elmar 75-200 so maybe she ran across the lens! Her late husband was a pediatric Dr. and obviously took exceptional care of this R3. I am unsure of how much it was actually used but it would be described as "mint". I found, on ebay, a +2 diopter correction lens for the viewfinder that I need. It has already arrived and makes it much easier to see the entire viewfinder. I am running some film through the camera now to determine if the light seals are doing their job.

I absolutely love the seductive "ker-thunk" sound of the R3 shutter...makes me think of the satisfactory sound of a door being closed on a Mercedes Benz.

Let us know if there are any seal problems. As far as the Vario-Elmar 75-200 lens, let us know about that too! If that's the case, be sure to get a picture of all of it together!

Let us know if there are any seal problems. As far as the Vario-Elmar 75-200 lens, let us know about that too! If that's the case, be sure to get a picture of all of it together!

barnman:

I ran a roll of FUJI 400 through the R3 taking snapshots around the house. A couple of the prints have been scanned and attached. I suspect this is a clear cut case of the light seal around the film canister window is not doing its job. Also, there is a certain "muddiness" to the entire frame that may be entirely due to this seal leaking or a leak around the perimeter seal may also be occurring. I know the black tape trick will work due but I think it may be worth the time and $$ to send the camera in for a general CLA as well as seal replacement. Any suggestions as to where it can be sent with great confidence?

Also, the 75-200 zoom was not found so it will not be a part of my kit. I do intend to find and obtain a 50, 90 and 180 for this R3.

barnman:

I ran a roll of FUJI 400 through the R3 taking snapshots around the house. A couple of the prints have been scanned and attached. I suspect this is a clear cut case of the light seal around the film canister window is not doing its job. Also, there is a certain "muddiness" to the entire frame that may be entirely due to this seal leaking or a leak around the perimeter seal may also be occurring. I know the black tape trick will work due but I think it may be worth the time and $$ to send the camera in for a general CLA as well as seal replacement. Any suggestions as to where it can be sent with great confidence?

Also, the 75-200 zoom was not found so it will not be a part of my kit. I do intend to find and obtain a 50, 90 and 180 for this R3.

It would definitely be worth your time and money to have the CLA and of course to have any light leaks resolved. I'm sure others here would recommend sending the camera to others who are very qualified for the job. The only place I would recommend to have this done is of course Leica.

I'm not sure what part of the world your in. However if in the US, I suggest

Leica Camera Inc.

1 Pearl Ct, Unit A

Allendale, New Jersey 07401

Contact person:

Sarah Mayville & Carmen Vargas

Phone:

800-222-0118 x 19930

Fax:

201-995-1686

E-mail:

repair@leicacamerausa.com