let's see your R

martin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm new to this forum this year. I still shoot mostly with film. I hope it will be possible even a fem more years.

Having browsed through the forum I came across this amazing thread, as I now have had the great pleasure to read.

After this great historic journey back in the really good old SLR days, I wonder myself if the digital DSLR / EVIL camera built for the same image quality, will ever be as little energy-intensive, compact, lightweight and easy to use, as these masterpieces?

Which camera manufacturer should be able to create such a product?

I can not stand the thought of carrying around one of these large and heavy "digital containers" from either Nikon or Canon.

Forgive me, for at all to mention the word ”digital” in this venerable classic thread.

It always pleases me when people still want to use the Reflex system, I have been using it since

1973 (SL) AND STILL HAVE IT.

Currently still use the R7's, R8, R9 and the M7 and LOVE 'EM, ALL could never give them up, simply the best Leica's.

This afternoon I held SOLM's new toy called the X1, (Camera House in Melbourne) couldn't operate it because the battery went dead and the sales person told me it's needs charging,

what a JOKE, 2,500 $ Aus with it's tiny controls and build defiantly a woman's toy perfect for the hand bag, an absolute insult to the R system.

I am feeling embarrassed that whenever I go photographing with my R cameras there is somebody

going to be out there with these battery operated electronic toys masquerading as Leica cameras. dread the thought.

Ernst Leitz must be rolling a-round in his grave to what they (Solms) are doing to his famous brand.

LONG LIVE THE LEICA R.

ken.

Edited by hamey
  • Like 4

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello LCT.

I have only held the R8-DMR once, I loved it but couldn't convince myself to buy one.

As for the actual size and weight it didn't bother me.

As I am no longer interested in buying any new solms products I have been trying other Marque's

So a couple of weeks ago I tried Canon's mean machines the 1D-mk4 and the 1Ds-3 at the Camera exchange here in Melbourne on which I really enjoyed playing with,

I then wanted to try coupling up my 28-90mm Leica lens to these awesome DSLR's, yes the Mirror cleared the rear hood with NO PROBLEMS.

So can it now be possible that a man of my age to be in love again,....It reminded me just 35 years ago I felt the same over the SL .........Lol

It's a good thing that she who must be obeyed, my dear wife, god bless her doesn't read this forum.

Ken.

Edited by hamey

Guest user62134

To R users Only !

Question:

Gentlemen,

Some years ago I purchased an R8 black body with 2 lens from a Leica dealer I had bought from before. To me it was different after using several models. With fresh film took it out for a day of shooting. Shot 4 rolls. Then had them processed. Great pictures. But, I found the R8 far to big for my liking. I removed the batteries and placed the camera closet. In the past year I have posted it here for sale. No takers. Contacted dealers who offered many times Less then I paid. ( In one case less then the tax) paid on it. It is in perfect condition without a mar on it. I just do not understand why this beautiful camera will not sell. I still use my M6 and M7 ___love film. But the R8 is so ___bulky. When in contact with different dealers they actually laugh, stating I got stuck with the "tank" . Could any users please comment on what I am missing out on? And why the stigma attached to this beautiful camera? Other Leica user friend simply laugh also. I have read your posts here. I know other film users, but none who like the R8 .

If someone could enlighten me as to why this camera just is NOT wanted ??

Regards,

David

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...It's a good thing that she who must be obeyed, my dear wife, god bless her doesn't read this forum...

Haha! Neither does mine but she says that my garage looks like a photo shop so i suspect she knows the truth. :D Anyway i've chosen the Canon route for my R lenses as well but the lack of auto diaphragm is sometimes painful so i will buy some Zeiss lenses soon or late i guess. Bit sad for an old Leica user like me but it's not my fault is it. :rolleyes:

Yes, R8 / 9 DMR is as bad as those too large digital cameras from Cannikon. So I never felt that this was an option for me.

Unfortunately, it does not ever seem to be any Leica R models following the R9.

But the Japanese seem to study this forum very carefully to identify what concerns photographers.

Today I read in the October release of my Norwegian photo magazine “FOTOGRAFI”, i.e."PHOTOGRAPHY", that Nikon is planning a whole new generation of a compact digital camera system. And we're not necessarily talking about an EVIL camera system!

And listen to this all Leica R users who feel cheated by Leica.

Senior Manager Toru Uematsu by Nikon says to this photo magazine that it is extremely important to them to ensure their customers' investments so that the owners of lenses with today's F mount, may be able to use these with the new compact camera system.

Applause applause! !

Haha! Neither does mine but she says that my garage looks like a photo shop so i suspect she knows the truth. :D Anyway i've chosen the Canon route for my R lenses as well but the lack of auto diaphragm is sometimes painful so i will buy some Zeiss lenses soon or late i guess. Bit sad for an old Leica user like me but it's not my fault is it. :rolleyes:

No LCT, it's not our fault, our camera provider (solms) has failed in it's commitments to honour it's long

time Leica R users.

The company is now run by bean counters and they don't hold any loyalties to no one except their

financial undertakings.

This also includes other Solms products, if the S2 doesn't make any money it will go out the same door.

Like you I have chosen the Canon route, because I can still use my R lenses, BUT SOMETIMES IS IT

WORTH IT, After playing with the 1D-4 I was amazed how quickly it focused on the subject, with perfect exposers

I then took identical Leica R and Canon shots and frankly I could not see that much difference in it, so why bother using my wrist when these Mean machines will focus and lock before I blink my eye.

So is it the sensor that cannot reach the Leica R lens resolution or is it I have been taken for a ride.

Janki.

I also offer my congratulations to Nikon, they are in a different league, they manufacture cameras to all kinds of photographers to use, not to be worshiped and displayed in boutiques.

David. I wonder also, however the Leica R8 is a gorgeous camera, I love using mine.

Ken.

And listen to this all Leica R users who feel cheated by Leica.

Senior Manager Toru Uematsu by Nikon says to this photo magazine that it is extremely important to them to ensure their customers' investments so that the owners of lenses with today's F mount, may be able to use these with the new compact camera system.

Applause applause! !

BUT, no metering with non AF lenses on the cheaper bodies, not even stop down metering, and that goes for the last few film cameras too.

Panasonic can manage manual and Aperture priority for anything you care to stick on the front of the body, but Nikon has not 'proteced the investment' of those who have quite a few manual focus and technical (PC, Micro etc) lenses, as I have.

They all want your money, basically!

• 2 weeks later...

A rough photo of my R3 MOT and the two R8 cameras.

The black R8 is uneconomic to have repaired - at least by Solms. I will try a Sydney mob to see if they can/will replace or repair the shutter blades. Otherwise I will flog it for parts.

The R3 has never given trouble, except once when its film wind became almost impossible. A speck of light oil on the rewind shaft fixed that. Its viewfinder is slightly larger than the R8's one.

John.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Joop

The Leica R8/9 manual cautions about rewinding the film: Always ! Be sure the film is completely rewound into casette or removed from camera before re-firing the shutter. If the film leader gets caught in the shutter blades, it can cause much damage :(

Gary

@ John:

"I will try a Sydney mob to see if they can/will replace or repair the shutter blades"

I have seen this problem more with the R8 on the (German) Leica forum.

Do you know how this damage have been caused?

Is there a special risk to load or unload the R8 with film?:confused:

John.

I feel it's a design fault, I have several Leica R's, all my other Leicas feed the film onto the spool anti clockwise, thus the film tongue is now bent upwards when retracted avoiding the shutter blades.

However on the R8/9 the film is wound clockwise, therefore the film tongue is now folded downwards,

so when ever the film is retracted the Possibility of shutter damage is more evident.

I am sure there are better diagnoses from more knowledgeable people on this problem then me who might have a better answer.

I have an R8 and R9, my R8 has some marks on the shutter but as yet not the R9 as I am very careful.

So my personal opinion, If thats the case, Leica stuffed it so they should fix it.

Please correct me if I AM WRONG.

Ken.

R8 shutter damage:

In my case, the damage occurred when I fitted the camera on my circa 1980 vintage Manfrotto head. That has a longer thread than the later standard allows. The R8 manual stresses that the tripod socket is "secured against rotation according to DIN 4503". That is on the last page of the manual, and is the penultimate item in the specifications.

No indication is given of what that means, so I tried to find that spec on the web. The only way to see what was required to meet that standard was to pay to download the whole DIN standard as if I were a potential manufacturer. Maybe I should have.

Why Solms did not simply state the maximum thread length to go into the camera, I don't know. Anyway, the camera seems to have twisted so that the shutter blades/guides were misaligned, with disastrous consequences. I think Andy Barton had the same problem.

While having a moan, I dislike the film wind system. I prefer the method of hooking the film end onto the takeup spool, winding once then fitting the cassette into its place. Little chance for any clumsy finger to possibly touch that delicate shutter.

With the chrome R8 (bought from Ffordes [as Mint - ] for just over half the price Solms quoted for the shutter repair), I leave the winder permanently attached, as its tripod socket is deep.

The above is way off thread of "Let's see your R", so sorry.

Just wondering what if the thread was asking see more than one R. Might sound rather rude.

John.

The one complaint I have about the R8 with motor is that it's a pain to load. I make sure the sprocket teeth are engaged in the perforations, but it seems to be very finicky about how the film is positioned, and it always takes me several tries and a bit of cussing before the camera back will close and the motor winds the film on.

If you hit the rewind switch only once the film leader remains exposed [i guess it makes it easier to extract the film if you are 'self developing']

But, if you hit the rewind button a second time, it will wind the film fully into the cassette.

my SL (silver) with friend & visitor . . . :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2